PDA

View Full Version : Maya Rig has unwanted 'transforms'

Mordin
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I created a maya rig a while back, but wasn't happy with it. So I've unparented and deleted some of the joints that were n't needed. Stripped the IK off the spine and arms. Then parented the skeleton back together.
My problem is I have 'transforms' in the heirachy I can't get rid of. I've tried deleting history, unparenting the joint chain, and un grouping, but nothing seems to get rid of them. It does nt seem to affect the rig (it is fairly simple though!).

My question is will this effect the rig later on and in what way? And is there a way to get rid of them.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/danwhitehouse/MyRigNew.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/danwhitehouse/MyRigNew.jpg

Mordin
02-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Anyone? Just want to know if these transforms will affect the rig in the long run? And is there a way to get rid of them?

Leffler
02-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Thats just mayas way of "maintaining offset"

What I allways do when this happens is recreate the jointchains and snapping to the old joints. Donīt know if these transform-nodes are a very big problem but I donīt like em :D

//Otto
www.ottoleffler.com

edwardG
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, I would suggest first of all that if you are going to go all the way back to the Joints that you just start over from scratch. There will always be something left over from all the connections that you had created before, and it will cause problems for you later on. This is what I strongly suggest doing.

If for some reason you are not able to, then I would unparent all the joints, select all of them and go to Modify > Freeze Transformations . Then re-parent the joints and you will have to selectively re-orient the joints to point towards each other by choosing Skeleton > Orient Joint. There are a lot of different option for you to re-orient your skeleton, and you'll have to choose the best options based on the needs of your project/studio.

Just to warn you though, if you go this route you are playing with fire and will probably get burned. It is a much better idea to start from scratch.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.