PDA

View Full Version : Alien- Critique the mesh please :)

Mechis
06-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Hi,
This is my first character head. I was following Todd Grimes' new DVD tutorial, but I deviated and made my own character. I ended up doing a few things he did not do and tried to fix them using spin quads.

I think I have some geometry flow problems- particularly with five and six lines going through a single point. This tended to make a starred crease in the mesh. I tried to fix these areas by doing more spin quads and I had problems because it would just make the problem move somewhere else, rather than eliminate it.

I was hoping that y'all might be willing to take a look at my mesh and critique which places you think need improvement and how you would do it (especially the starred creases in the geometry!). Feel free to modify my images if you want to :) THANKS!!! :wavey:
~Mechis

Mechis
06-28-2003, 06:18 AM
image 1

Mechis
06-28-2003, 06:20 AM
image 2

Mechis
06-28-2003, 06:22 AM
image 3

Mechis
06-28-2003, 06:24 AM
image 4

SplineGod
06-28-2003, 07:53 AM
You need to work on getting the flow around the face to be more circular. You also need to get a more even polygon density because this will greatly effect how well spin quads will work.
Ive indicated some areas you can fix but describing the rest of the process would take too much typing. :)

SplineGod
06-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Heres a head that one of my students created early on.
Notice how well the edges flow around the face. Thats what you want to shoot for. Notice also that this focusses the details in the face but the detail decreases as you towards the back of the head. Also this avoid a more grid like structure to the head and you just get cleaner looking geometry. I go over this type of stuff
in GREAT detail in my character series.
You can see some samples HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm) .
I show two methods to students:
One starts out with a single poly and very quickly evolves into a nice head and no point by point or box modeling. It does use Subpatches. Gollum here is an example of that method. I show the first 2 lectures of this method in the link above.
http://www.splinegod.com/personal/gollum_render_test2.jpg
Heres what the mesh looks like in wireframe mode:
http://www.splinegod.com/examples/gollum_wireframe.jpg
The other method I teach is through the use of splines. Heres a simple example of the nice form and flow you can quickly get with splines. Nobody covers spline modeling a head and torso in any books or videos Ive seen. Its almost a lost art and I cover that in great detail as well. Heres an example:

http://www.splinegod.com/examples/ogre.jpg

NanoGator
06-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Larry, that was a very insightful way to communicate your ideas to him. Just wanted to say I appreciate it and the time you took to help him. Very inspiring. :)

Mechis, are you working from a drawing? If so, could ya show us? If not, then I'd recommend taking the mesh right now, printing a front view of it really lightly, and drawing the details on top of it. Then, use it as a background image in modeler + as a texture to the mesh. You'll be able to line up the nurbs surfaces so that they conform to the drawing. (Just like Larry showed with the spline tut.)

There are two benefits here: 1.) it's easy to figure out the flow of the skin. 2.) It's easy to measure completion.

:thumbsup:

dead_eye
06-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
Larry, that was a very insightful way to communicate your ideas to him. Just wanted to say I appreciate it and the time you took to help him. Very inspiring. :)

yes, very inspiring. thx for the insight and the pics SG.
/me shuts down internet explorer and starts lightwave to try to figure this spline modeling thingy out :surprised .

Mechis
06-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey all, thanks a lot for the replies. I really appreciate your input- it is so much nicer than me banging my head against my computer :)

Splinegod, your comments are invaluable- I'm studying them :)

Nanogator, I was not working from a drawing, but I will try out your suggestion and see how it turns out.

Thanks again :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.