PDA

View Full Version : Character: Lowpolygon Dude (i ripped the design from a game)

HapZungLam
06-28-2003, 05:11 AM
http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots4.jpg

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots4b.jpg

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigerwire1.jpg

software use:

Softimage XSI 3.01-3.5
Photoshop 7 for texture.

polycount : 2994 tris

Looking for comments on how can i improve this dude bith texture and model. I wanta show more of my texture stuff. But again, I don't seem near to my goal. I will stick with this design tho. Since I ripped from a Taiwanese game.

HapZungLam
06-28-2003, 05:58 PM
texture

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tiger_all_texture.jpg

Neox
06-29-2003, 12:27 AM
you did a really fine job on him :)
but some points you could think about:
-you obviously mirrored the texture for his face... so why didn't you mirror the uv's to get more space on your texture?
-the eyes need more gloss and a slight reflection, right now they are looking kinda "dead"
-you could add a little more lighting to the texture right now its a little flat i think
-tweak the uv's a bit, you've got a straight line on the "underwear" on you're texture but its not that straight on the model
-i guess the hair is a little to straight, give it just a small bit of curvature and maybe one or two alphaplanes on the end of his pigtail (right word?)
-add more detail too the cloth, you've got a pretty high textureresolution, so use it and give the cloth more structure :)

aazimkhan
06-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Nice model, Actually you could have mirrored a lot of stuff in the texture, but maybe u wanted both side to look diff..then its fine.

I think the model's wire says its pretty efficient, and cleanly done.
as Neox said the texture could be further benifited.

Did u use a single large texture map like 1024x?
or multipile maps?

Maybe add some kind of shoe lace, the shoe looks pretty simple right now, some dirt etc?

sqitso
06-30-2003, 02:56 AM
I have to ask how you got the UVs to unwrap so nicely? Arranging UVs is the hardest part to me. Perhaps it is difficult for me because my models are not efficient? Maybe it's because I'm more of an animator than modeler?

Thanks

Dave Black
06-30-2003, 03:49 AM
To add to what has been already said:

Some of the map areas could be bigger. There is alot of wasted space around the eye portion. It kinda begs the question of why the eye map is as big as the head map. That means that the eye is the most highly detailed area of the map. Would it not stand to reason, that if this eye needs to be that high-res, that the head within which the eye sits could use MORE detail than the eye?

Think about it. If you zoom into the eye, it will have more bitmap data than the face surrounding it. That makes little sense. I would think that if you reduced the eye's map area, and increased the head, or possibly some other detail, that it would make more sense.

While cleanly laid out, the UVs have a rather large amount of dead space. You should attend to that, as it's something I noticed right off the bat.

Seems like alot of your polys are spent on the face and neck areas. This is fine, though you've obviously terminated detail into Ngons at the crest of the skull, so one would wonder why the neck has so many polys. This is possibly a matter for debate. I'm only trying to encourage you to think about why this geometric detail is actually there.

All in all, it's a solid work. Textures need some dirt/shading, along with everything else stated above. Perhaps in the future, you can create your own design. Best of luck.

-3DZ

HapZungLam
06-30-2003, 04:58 AM
Thanks for all your comments.

I used multiple maps:thumbsdow.

tho, i do have some wasting space problem. i'll concentrade on it.

I put more contast on the folds area of the maps on the updated shot. adjust the spec value on the eye. i still haven't put reflections yet.

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots5.jpg

Prs-Phil
06-30-2003, 01:55 PM
yes, he doesnt look bad, but also to add what as allready been said (space, eyes etc.) I have to critiqu your way of modeling.

YOU DONT NEED QUADS, belive me, you´ve edgelooped the face so much it nearly hurts ;)
Take away polys from the neck and the collarbone area and add more to the triceps to make it look more natural, you wont see the difference on the neck, really.
Maybe you could also make the arms a tad bit longer (the forearm)

Keep it up

I guess (and see) that you dont do alot of lowpoly stuff. Correct me if so :)

sqitso
06-30-2003, 10:28 PM
May I ask what modeling method or technique you used for modeling. I am amazed at how clean and efficient your model is. Did you patch model, box model or what?

HapZungLam
07-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Prs-Phil: I believe you that i don't needs full quads. It is just my habbit of making everything quads and good edge loops. For the forearm. I don't know if it is because of the angle or what. Because the forearm has bent a bit. I'll show you the side view.

sqitso: I started with a polygon box. There has a default model that i'll keep modifying it when i have the spare time. Which also was started with a box. Everytime when i need to model a new human character. I'll grap my default model from my liberary to start with. But sometimes, like this model.... I basically remodeled everything.

maxmare
07-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Very good work. No here to pick little details but the only area that doesn't look very realistic to me is the leg below the knees, before the boots, it looks like it bumps in the front, where there should be bone and a long muscle, the tibialis anterior:

Just a thought

maxmare
07-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Sorry, I just realized looking at your maps that the legs are clothed, I honestly thought they were bared by looking at a pink flesh tone you have going on there. Maybe adding more creases to the map or sharpening them a bit would help to define the trousers.
Another tought.

Mattrne
07-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Prs-Phil - just out of interest, why do you say he doesn't need quads?

HapZungLam
07-01-2003, 06:40 PM
http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots6.jpg

Improved the structure and rinkles for the pans.

Increased the length of the forearm just a tiny bit.

visgoth
07-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Prs-Phil
YOU DONT NEED QUADS, belive me, you´ve edgelooped the face so much it nearly hurts ;)
T

As graphics hardware and game engines get more capable modelers will have to use cleaner methods for building characters. The edgeloops on this face will let it be animated quite easily. Now, if he were to super optimize it, and have a lot of triangles all over the place it would not deform well. Also, unwrapping the uvs would be more difficult, as a uniformly quad mesh can be unwrapped easier than one that has tris and ngons all over the place.

Prs-Phil
07-01-2003, 11:03 PM
I think you are wrong there.
It might be easyer to unwrap but go out an look at all the new games, with facial animation. Only Quads ?! ... no way, the exact opposite, ... the art is to make it efficent in polycount and animateable. You dont need the quads to make the model look like that and animateable, you could easyly cut down on polys and still make him animateable. Put the geometry where you need it and not everywhere.

I think that also awnsers your question @Mattrne

Mattrne
07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Personally speaking with regard to the quad / tri methodology, I'm kind of sitting on the fence! When I build characters for our engine here, we are encouraged to build as quads, as it does make uv-ing easier, but the main thing is that we have a program built into our exporter called stripe which triangulates geometry. This makes it better for us to build as quads because stripe has an easier job and smaller file sizes if everything is quads where possible.

However, in defence of tri's (obviously post-Stripe everything is tri's anyway) there are some cases where you just have to triangulate faces to get them to deform in a predictable and pleasant way.

Neox
07-02-2003, 10:35 AM
quads and edgeloops are a good start for lowpoly but you'll definately need tris when you have to keep you model convex (round)... i'm using a mixture auf quads and tris, because quads are easier to handel (cut, split etc) but tris in some areas help to keep the mesh nice and smooth :)

HapZungLam
07-03-2003, 01:05 AM
http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tiger_sword1.jpg

HapZungLam
07-03-2003, 07:42 PM
http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tiger_sword2.jpg

Prs-Phil
07-04-2003, 06:43 PM
nice texture, great idea with the eye.
but me as perfectionist, I´ve gotta say something.
Where you have textured the eye you can see a nice quad in the wireview, you could weld that away, you don´t really need that, actually you dont really need a vertex there. Correct me if you need it, because from that view I really cant see if that quad stands out of the mesh or not.

HapZungLam
07-05-2003, 06:24 PM
i took your word and got rid of that poly. I was thinking of that as the eye polygon. But i don't see anydifferent after got rid of it.

thx

Prs-Phil
07-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Thats the point, ... your modeling Lowpoly and thats why :"If you cant see the difference, get rid of it"
You get me ?! ;)

ewerybody
07-07-2003, 05:12 PM
The most weird thing to me is "leg-thing" too. Even when its pants down there it looks a like skin if you don't know and then it seems to hurt! :D especially in the front view. I dunno.. maybe change the color?

Another thing: In the side view his neck seems to be quite a whopper compared to his legs and arms. :shrug:

Aearon
07-07-2003, 05:29 PM
this might sound like nitpicking but i think you still wasted a lot of polys on the blade

collapse the edges marked in the paintover and i don't think you'll see a difference

HapZungLam
07-08-2003, 07:53 PM
thx, i got rid of it.

HapZungLam
07-09-2003, 08:34 PM
I got it rigged

http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots8.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/hapzunglam/temp/tigershots7.jpg

mattregnier
07-09-2003, 08:55 PM
The rigged poses are very dynamic and really add to the feel of the character. Some anim and walk cycles now would be even better. His balance and form overall are impressive. Keep the updates coming.

Keiyentai
07-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Wow. So far everyone has said what I was going to nit pic at...rats lol, owell awesome model. What kind of game isa he going to be in?

Levitateme
07-19-2003, 05:21 AM
is that kilik from soul calibur?

i like the actual model, but i think some differnt poses could help him out alot, the model i really enjoy, but just kinda plain as he is without some pose.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.