PDA

View Full Version : Creating dust and scratch and other effects.

Demica
01-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm doing the comp on a independent skate video from Brazil and right now I'm running into some problems to create a few of the visual effects.

One of them is to add some dust and scratch to the video. It came to my mind that I could create a few frames of dust and scratch and then composite it over the image, timing it randomly in order look non-linear.
I don't know it this would be the most effective or time saving approach, so I decided to come over and ask your opinions.

The other effect is the kind of blown up that you get when you start/stop a film camera. I did some research and looked a few shots of a 35mm camera, then I discovered that what I was looking for was some sort of look that is into this clip (from 32 seconds till the end):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCfnFdvvPk

If anyone has a good idea of how to re-create those effects, please feel free to share it here

Thanks all,
Tom

CCRider
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I have had good success with Fractal Noise to create film scratches...If you don't have experience with this effect, it can be a bit overwhelming. It is very handy for creating just about any kind of organic effects.

Use this effect on a new solid just above the plate footage.
For scratches, use the transform controls to squeeze the fractal noise vertically (as in scale it to 10000 h x 10 w for starters). Adjust brightness and contrast until you get nice thin black lines. Change the transfer mode to multiply. Animate the evolution setting so that the scratches keep moving. Start at around 2 revolutions per second...tweek to taste...
You'll need to tweek the settings a bit but this should get you started.

I would add effects to make the footage sepia toned, dark around edges (vignetting), and another fractal noise layer for dust specs. You could also use some expressions to add random blurred images (where the film migh buckle a little in the gate - a real problem on really old cameras) and maybe another expression to randomize the playback speed.
All these, combined with the scratches, will help sell the "old film" look

Good luck!

:D

CCRider
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Better yet, here are some screen grabs of the effects settings for Fractal Noise, Expressions used (very simple ones...) and a before and after shot. I chose not to go overboard but there is plenty of room to add even more effect if you want. This could be a good jumping off point for you...

CCRider
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
It won't accept my before and after shots saying the files are too large...
Not sure why, they are very small gif files...
Anyway, use these settings and you should be on your way!

:)

anobrin
02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Apples quicktime pro has a dust&scratches filter

CGTalk Moderation
02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.