PDA

View Full Version : difference between IK and FK

chayanvinayak
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello ,

What is the basic and technical difference between IK and FK ?
Is it possible to switch between IK handle and IK spline handle ?

Thanks

Coyote12
01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
IK essentially is when a child in a hierachy can influence the movement of its parents Ie. Move the wrist and the elbow and shoulder move as well. And FK is when the parent moves the child ie. I move my shoulder and thus my elbow and wrist move as well.

Can you mix Ik and Ik spline? Yes if you set up a hierachy that allowed both systems to control a third system then you can switch which one has influence. It does not do this out of the box. There is no button to magically switch from one to the other. You would need to build the system that allowed for this like I just suggested by having the two chains control a third. then switch the weigting influnce on or off.

arctor
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Can you mix Ik and Ik spline? Yes if you set up a hierachy that allowed both systems to control a third system then you can switch which one has influence. It does not do this out of the box. There is no button to magically switch from one to the other. You would need to build the system that allowed for this like I just suggested by having the two chains control a third. then switch the weigting influnce on or off.

this only applies to Maya...
IK/FK switching is a single float value in Houdini...right out of the box.

Coyote12
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Arctor

True I was assuming that you ment within Maya. However you quoted the part about IK to IK spline switching but mentioned the IK to FK switching. I do not know enough about Houdini to know if you can switch from IK to IK spline in that as well. Even Maya has IK to FK switching built in as well.

arctor
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Houdini's IK is done through CHOPs...so you can blend between any type of IK solver and any other, or none.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.