PDA

View Full Version : Imaginative Figure Workshop #001: Self Portrait As A Creature

Pages : [1] 2

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
http://rebeccakimmel.com//gallery/albums/Misc/Imaginative%20Figure_Self%20Portrait%20As%20A%20Creature/Banner_1.jpg

Background image courtesy of Antropus (http://antropus.cgsociety.org/gallery/) (thanks Kris!)

**EDIT: DEADLINE EXTENSION TO THURS., FEB. 19**

(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5679185#post5679185)EDIT: VOTE ON THE TOPIC FOR THE NEXT WORKSHOP! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5679185#post5679185)

Imaginative Figure Drawing Workshop #001 - Self Portrait As A Creature

*2D or 3D*

For this Workshop, I invite you to reimagine yourself as a creature. It's up to you as to what creature that may be, but you must combine your own portrait with that of an animal or fictional creature.

You need only create the face / neck and the top of the shoulders - no body, unless you really want to go for it. Go for QUALITY, not quantity in this piece. Polish this drawing / digital painting up to the best of your abilities!

Some General Guidelines (mostly applicable to 2D but can be adapted for 3D):

For those of you with your own process, feel free to ignore this part. But for those of you without a working method, you may find the following guidelines useful:

Part 1: Decide on a creature and do your Research

Decide what creature that you want to combine with your self portrait. This can be a real life animal or any fictional character.

Reference Resources:

As always, Google Image (http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi), Flickr (http://flickr.com/), Pbase (http://www.pbase.com/), and your own books or books are all fair game as reference resources. Just be sure to not directly copy any copyrighted references that you find - you must significantly alter any reference image in order for it to be considered legally yours. Also be sure to look through some of your favorite artists as inspiration. Check through some of your favorite blogs or image sources to get your creative juices flowing.
If you have other resource sites that you would like me to link, please let me know.
Part 2: Ideation

Process:

Create a set of small, rough thumbnails in your sketchbook (traditional or digital) before embarking on any finished piece. Try to convey the mood and atmosphere of the piece before ever adding any details. Think of the light source, the mood which you want to convey and a background story for this morphed self-portrait and creature.
Project Considerations / Criteria:

No boring, fully front on views of the head without any sense of dynamism or expression! Give some tilt or twist to the head / neck to make the pose more interesting. Maybe even the head is in the process of speaking, giving a snarl or smile, in the middle of "lunch" (whatever that is) etc. Try to evoke a mood as much as fulfill the basic requirements of creating a morphed self-portrait and creature.
Consider a strong sense of lighting / chiarascuro. Look at the work of Caravaggio (http://images.google.com/images?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=caravaggio&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1) to get a strong sense of lighting. Note the clarity of the light source and the strong sense of design via lights and darks alone.
Media:

As always you can use the media of your choice - 2D Traditional or Digital.
Feel free to work in Black / White / Grayscale only or in full color.
Part 3: Final Drawing / Digital Painting (or 3D Render)

Once you have nailed down your concept and selected your best thumbnail, work up the linework for your piece and shade / paint it. Post your work here - no more than 4 total WIP images (including your final image).

Have fun!

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
RULES FOR THIS WORKSHOP:

1. This Workshop runs for TWO WEEKS, between Jan. 29 - midnight of Feb. 12, 2009 (whatever your midnight is).

2. Any reference imagery that is not yours must be significantly altered and cannot be directly copied without permission / citation from the copyright holder.

3. The work created in this Workshop MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread.

3. YOU MAY POST NO MORE THAN 4 WIP IMAGES (including your final image) FOR THE DURATION OF THIS WORKSHOP. While you may comment as much as you wish, anyone posting more than 4 WIP images TOTAL will have their posts removed. Please respect this rule.

4. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this Workshop.

5. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique - however, the main focus of the Imaginative Figure Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

7. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing / Painting.

8. 3D Artists who wish to use the topic to create 3D models are free to do so.

9. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

You are welcome (though not required) to also post your work to your Personal Sketchbook Thread if you already have one, or to create one if you do not, here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
It eez on. :)

razz
01-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Whoah, how cool is this!! I actually wanted to contact you, Rebecca, about making a workshop because I missed these things. You read my mind!
It's definitely worth to give it a try. A month would be nicer, but oh well..Let's get it on!

NR43
01-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Lol this should be fun!

killermachine
01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
finally a new workshop...yipppeee!!
it will either be a bat or a wolf.. (im fictionally able to associate myself with these creatures so..) but i wonder how edgy it can be..any examples as in how drastic changes can be made in our original face?? :twisted:

its so on and i'm getting my name in highlights for sure this time :arteest:

KM

jojo1975
01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Wow. I was really missing the workshop. So cool

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
it will either be a bat or a wolf.. (im fictionally able to associate myself with these creatures so..) but i wonder how edgy it can be..any examples as in how drastic changes can be made in our original face?? :twisted: Go as far out there as you are comfortable!

paperclip
01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm so entering. :D Great timing, becca, I wanted to do something, but doing master copies just wasn't working for me....so this couldn't have come at a better time!

MichaelZHsee
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Lol this should be fun!

are u going to do this?:Dit sounds fun indeed

NR43
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Hell yeah!

What about you Michael :)

Tharyan
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Great initiative! I'm in. Long time I've drawn by hand :) and this seems like the ideal opportunity to start over.

anandpg
01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Great! I am in! :bounce:

Boone
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
OMG, this is the challenge I've always wanted to do. Just unfortunate that I'm still on HMC#18...

Might give it a shot anyway...:arteest:

Is it allowed to take a photograph of yourself and use that as reference?

Matellis
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
This is sooooo tempting!

Kaidonni
01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Ooooh...just getting back into drawing after a lull, and I really like animals, and drawing them at that, so...lol. Torn between nervousness to merge my appearance with that of an animal, and excitement at the prospect. Should I or shouldn't I? Hmmm...

SpiritDreamer
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
JAN. 29, 2009

THANKS for the new workshop Rebecca...Great concept for a workshop.:thumbsup: :)
Initial sketch
SELFPORTRAIT AS DRAGON..Not the European version,.. but the ancient Asian version of DRAGON, which represents the SPIRIT and FORCE OF AND BEHIND NATURE :D
Z Brush 3D sketch.

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SELF_PORTRAIT_DRAGON_1.jpg

Intervain
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
OMG Rebecca freaking awesome idea :D - I'm totally in :) was going to ask you lately if there were any plans for a workshop! :applause:

Sandpiper
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
man, this would be fun! I've got so many deadlines by Feb 12 though. :( I suppose I can always try and just do my own interpretation when my schedule frees up.:shrug:

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Great to see the response!
Is it allowed to take a photograph of yourself and use that as reference?Definitely, that's fine with me. :)

man, this would be fun! I've got so many deadlines by Feb 12 though. :( I suppose I can always try and just do my own interpretation when my schedule frees up.:shrug:Hey Jesse I am going to try to make these somewhat regular so if you can't join this one there will [hopefully] be others. Would love to see what you can do with this!

Sandpiper
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
woohoo! :applause: :applause:

Samanthie
01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
This should be fun. I'll give it a go. :)

Glenn your portrait is really cool!

Mu
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh, the nostalgia of doing a workshop with you again!

:scream:

I am in. Argh. I am scared of my schedule, but I am in, because this matches my self portrait habit I was getting into and also resonates with an experience I made recently.

I am going to try to make these somewhat regular
Juhuuu! YES!

What's up with the total of 4 WIP images, though? Any reason for this?

I mean, I am sure I'll get all the help I need in addition if I post more stuff in my anatomy thread, but are there any unpleasant experiences with unlimited WIP posting?

Glenn! That cominnation totally hits the nail on the head, as we say in german. Is that an english saying, too?

go everyone!

fx81
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
from the image i thought 3d was allowed, but it says its a 2d workshop

is it 2d or 3d or doesn't matter ?

redehlert
01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
neat idea, rk! i think i may be able to do this as my plate lightens. been a while since i've done any 'self' exploration. :)
cheers!
d

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
from the image i thought 3d was allowed, but it says its a 2d workshop

is it 2d or 3d or doesn't matter ?Feel free to do either. :) It's mostly geared toward 2D but I think it's great for there to be a mix. It would be great if you entered with a 3D piece!

neat idea, rk! i think i may be able to do this as my plate lightens. been a while since i've done any 'self' exploration. :)Do eet Dave! :)

What's up with the total of 4 WIP images, though? Any reason for this?

I mean, I am sure I'll get all the help I need in addition if I post more stuff in my anatomy thread, but are there any unpleasant experiences with unlimited WIP posting?The reason is that with a large workshop (which I'm hoping this will be) I just really don't want to look at 25 WIP images from the same person. The posting limit ensures that people post their best work (and not just post some tiny incremental step where there is barely any progress, just for the sake of posting) - so the net effect is designed to raise the quality of the work posted to this Workshop. :)

You can post as many comments as you like, but I just ask that the number of total images posted here be limited to 4. Thanks for understanding!

nmcelmury
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Awesome workshop idea Rebecca! I just may have to partake! :D

Dragonassasin
01-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Thats a really cool idea ill have to set some time aside to do this. This type of stuff always helps propel me to the next level.

Djampa
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm in.

Starting tomorrow :D

4 wip images seems nice, like the milestones on a cg challenge.

Oh my... this will be a cool thread :D

Thanks.

Mu
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
OK, here's my approach:

I'll turn my self into a snakeself.
I just took a reference photo. The lighting is pretty bad, but my flash (which I could have put on a light stand to go for a bit of varied lighting) only syncs with my analogue camera. As I don't have much time, quick equals nice.
I will have to kind of model/simulate the lighting. The ref will merely serve as a base for the portrait and resemblance.
Mixture balance: roughly 70% human+30% snake
snake features:

tongue
eyes
teeth
lip structure
scales

I will start with the portrait drawing, collect snake reference, add or merge the snake characteristics on a rather developed portrait and refine or unify from there.

Lighting will have to be heavily altered from the ref, but I don't really know wether to do this at the beginning, in the middle or at the end. Maybe towards the end I can play a bit with layers and masks to add a bit of light atmosphere? Don't know. Any suggestions?

colourwise I am thinking of a red/green contrast, maybe a ssssplit complementary, oh...hehe...:D

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
OK, here's my approach:Hey Mu, I think this sounds good! Before delving in I'd definitely recommend doing some fast silhouette sketches (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=silhouette%20sketches&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi), just to get some rough shapes / ideas going before doing any sort of start on a final drawing. Lots of folks use a marker and post its, or doodle on napkins or scrap paper just to get the ideas flowing.

Mu
01-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi there,

I kinda did that with a couple of test snapshots which I really... like *really* need to delete before I go on...:D

Lander
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Red: If you're in, I'm in. (like I have the time to play) :)

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks for the workshop! always needed an excuse to work on creatures lol...am i allowed to post 3D renders of the creature in this thread?Feel free! I should maybe just make it more clear that this is a 2D or 3D Workshop.

robinmitra
01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
thanks for the workshop! always needed an excuse to work on creatures lol...am i allowed to post 3D renders of the creature in this thread?

robinmitra
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
wow how fast was ur reply lol

Rebeccak
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
wow how fast was ur reply lol;)
Ok I have updated the first post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5648399&postcount=1) to make it more clear that this is a 2D or 3D Workshop. :)

WyattHarris
01-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Sounds awesome Bekka, been too long since I've seen one of these. Unfortunately I'm finishing HMC#18 like Boone. I may be able to contribute a bit. Good luck to everyone!

gpepper
01-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey Beckie, sounds like a cool workshop again !
I would really like to be part of it !
I will see if I find time to join you !
see ya !

bhaskar
01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Very Creative and brainstorming Challenge Rebecca........... unless you want to see yourself funny and very unique in this. :lightbulb
I m soooooo tempted to be the part of it. Confused whether to finish my ongoing character or to put that on backburner and play with this! :deal:

Will Decide tommorrow! :shrug: (hope i wont loose much time)

removed
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Best workshop ever! :D

illustr8rX
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Rebecca,
is this challenge available for anyone to try? or only members of the Artistic Anatomy group?
it sounds like a lot of fun.
hmmmm been a looooong time since i posted anything here. :)

Kaidonni
01-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Remember my uncertainty on the first page of this post? Well, I'm in. I fancy either merging my self-portrait with a fox, or possibly with a Griffin (like the ones in Narnia - although, is that allowed? I don't want to break any of the rules or anything). My approach will be 2D, with my trusted graphite sticks :). Besides, it is about time I found something about my appearance that I liked! :D

Antropus
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Great idea for the workshop Rebecca! I was thinking about participating but would be very unfair to the others because I already look like a monster/creature in any of my photographs. You know, being ugly is a natural talent that I have :D

Robostat
01-29-2009, 11:06 PM
This competition looks awesome

Intervain
01-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Great idea for the workshop Rebecca! I was thinking about participating but would be very unfair to the others because I already look like a monster/creature in any of my photographs. You know, being ugly is a natural talent that I have :D

bring it Kris :scream: LOL

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Great idea for the workshop Rebecca! I was thinking about participating but would be very unfair to the others because I already look like a monster/creature in any of my photographs. You know, being ugly is a natural talent that I have :DPFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTttttttttttttttttttttttt.

That is all.

Post!!!

Hi Rebecca,
is this challenge available for anyone to try? or only members of the Artistic Anatomy group?
it sounds like a lot of fun.
hmmmm been a looooong time since i posted anything here. :)Sorry, I missed seeing your post. :) Sure, everyone is welcome! You need not be a member of the Anatomy Forum (technically there's no such thing since it's just part of cgtalk).

Valandar
01-30-2009, 06:27 AM
I might join in this one, though my new Wacom won't be here until Monday...

gpepper
01-30-2009, 06:59 AM
PFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTttttttttttttttttttttttt.

That is all.

Post!!!

you see:

http://www.antropus.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_disneyland-045.jpg

Where is yoda ?...

Gunilla
01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Wonderful idea for the workshop! Perhaps I can find some time the last week, it sure sounds like fun!

DimitrisLiatsos
01-30-2009, 09:06 AM
you see:

http://www.antropus.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_disneyland-045.jpg

Where is yoda ?...

Isn't the guy ..eeerrr..on the right? :D

DaddyMack
01-30-2009, 09:59 AM

lol...

I'm sooo busy right now but so far looking at who is already playing here I can't resist this at all.

It will be a pleasure to fight this one out alongside you guys

Thanks Rebeccak (legend!) for sending my synapses whirring again

gpepper
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks Rebeccak (legend!)

Legend...(wait for it...)...dary ?

Rob are you Barney Stinson ?

michael-olszak
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
alright. let's see what we can come up with for this one :D looking forward to seeing everybody's work.

DaddyMack
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Rob are you Barney Stinson ?[/QUOTE]

lol.. I'm looking more like Barney Gumble these days... Maybe I should make a dadda the hutt

Nuts appearing here as if it was spring

gpepper
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Rob are you Barney Stinson ?

lol.. I'm looking more like Barney Gumble these days... Maybe I should make a dadda the hutt

Nuts appearing here as if it was spring[/QUOTE]

Barney Gumble ! :)
Less lend...dary but use to go to the bar too !

Djampa
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM

uhauahuahuahuahau - sure... *lm*o* :D

As Rebecca said... ´post !´ rsrsrsrsrs :scream:

Completely curious to see what you're bring up here ;)

Djampa
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Not sure, but the guy on the right has the force within... this I'm sure :D

Womball
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
The guy on the right is obviously some random dude. Antropus is really Yoda.

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Gunie, gpepper, Dimi, DaddyMack, Djampa, fellow members of the board of nuts, I address thee! ;)

I will certainly enjoy the hilarity of your exclusive and somewhat comedically demented participation! ^^ Bring it on! :beer:(But do it quick, we need some images in this thread!)

Air kisses! haha,

-R

Kaidonni
01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm taking some reference photos of myself right now. Not sure if I should post any, might be considered cheating (I mean, we're meant to merge our looks with that of a creature, not already be merged :D). Yeah...I can't stand what I look like. So these reference photos will be interesting...

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm taking some reference photos of myself right now. Not sure if I should post any, might be considered cheating (I mean, we're meant to merge our looks with that of a creature, not already be merged :D). Yeah...I can't stand what I look like. So these reference photos will be interesting...Oh, posting reference isn't cheating :) but you don't have to post your reference if you don't like. I figure that the creature aspect of things pretty much precludes anyone directly copying from reference (unless you're Dimitris :D haha) so pretty much you're good to go!

Kaidonni
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks. I've nailed it down to either a fox, raccoon, or griffin, although I prefer the raccoon idea myself. Also, trying to take decent photos of myself for reference is kind of hard, lol, gonna have to use a mirror methinks. Or a tripod. Or just a flat surface.

I also bookmarked the sites I gathered reference images from so I can credit them at any point if need be.

Mu
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I got my preparatory drawing down.

From here, I will add the following features (outlines) from various references:

snake teeth
snake scales
merge my eyes and snake eye characteristics
tongue
merge my lips with scaled ones

all of this is going to result in another line art drawing which will be my next post.

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_001.JPG

killermachine
01-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Dammit, Dammit, Dammit!! i was gonna post first works first but my photobucket got stuck and stayed lik that for more them half an hour an Mu beat me to it ..well lets move on

so i'v been thinking on it since morning
i begged people to help me out but they hardly listened
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/bat1.jpg
so i had to scratch my head myself
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/bat4.jpg
after doing some crazy caricatures lik these
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/bat3.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/bat5.jpg
i setteld with this
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/bat2.jpg

now why:
i prefer solitary,like to work at night,sleep in day,wear turban and sport moustach and beard, hav thin wrists,my friend said im lik coconut: scary from outside soft inside :P
adding turban was the toughest part but i really wanted to do it cause i wanted to how would a wolf-bat tie it :scream: nw moving to stage 2

Mu
01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
ohh killermachine. I really like the pose and facial expression of your batman in the last study!

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey Mu and killermachine, not bad starts.

killermachine, I'd definitely suggest starting to use reference at this point for the arms, hands, and face. Really study the anatomy of the arm (there's plenty of free ref online), or take a picture of your own arm or have someone do that for you. I think the sketch needs more fluidity and a sense of gesture / motion - right now it seems a little static, so you want to loosen it up a bit. Keep working!

-R

DaddyMack
01-30-2009, 07:50 PM
me puts my claim in for a daddymack tortoise bust...

http://images.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2002/08/02/master_disguise/story.jpg

Am I not... Turtley enough for you?

Tuuurtle... Tuu urtle...

*ahem... sorry, shot is from 'master of disguise'

Mu
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Holy smokes, I'm scared of myself, LOL...

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_005.JPG

I will keep the tongue for later on, because I want to add a fuzzy movement blur on the double tip which I noticed in quite a few reference photos and that is easier to paint than to draw, I guess.

Scaling my face was an amazing experience, because I feel I got a completeley new and deeper understanding of the planes of my face through this exercise!

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
DaddyMack, can't wait to see you as a turtle. ;)

Haha, not bad Mu! Only thing that I notice (easy to fix when you start painting) is that the fangs seem a bit off the center facial axis. I'm pretty impressed with how scaly you've become! You know you could probably get away with painting the largest scale and then duplicating it / scaling the size etc. when it comes to the point, and then perhaps painting a bit here and there to affect the overall direction of the light.

I'm wondering if I should turn myself into a gerbil...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ycaZ2vqU6f0/RnTOQUfOniI/AAAAAAAAAIc/mbK0xgNv9Bo/s400/baby_gerbil.jpg

Actually, I'm thinking the next Workshop should be, "My Doppelganger is a Gerbil!" ...I digress.

Mu
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
OMG, cuteness overload! Do the gerbil! Do it!

About the fang: yes, I think it's the left one, because I started the right one where my canine was, but I couldn't see where the left one was in the ref. I think I will push it a bit more to the left.

The scales. Hmmm. I have no clue how I will go about painting that whole stuff. I think I will deal with larger values first and maybe help the scales by dropping the drawing layer on multiply and really low opacity when I am nearly done.

I must say I am quite happy with the initial line drawing I started out with. Even if I totally screw this up in the two weeks to come I already learned a lot - great that there's OFDWs again.

:bounce:

P.S.:
Do the gerbil!
*struck by a sugar shock*
argh

Boone
01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Re: Rebeccak

I think there should be a law about posting such cute'n'cuddly material.:wip:

NR43
01-30-2009, 09:37 PM
So this is a thread where we can laugh at eachothers mug and not get punished for it :D

Not a clue for my own piece yet...
WIP1: a few of the scribbles from today.
http://users.telenet.be/nr43/images/cgtalk/workshops/IFW_001/IFW_001_001.jpg

Great to see the ball starting to roll here!
Keep going Mu! Awesome idea! Perhaps the ears can be!

Can we post more than 4 images that were made for this ws in our own sketchbook?

Rebeccak
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Hahaha!

Hey Johan, those are cool, I like the 2nd from the bottom lower right, it looks like it's had the s*** scared right out of him, haha! The thumbs are a good start, would love to see even more!

This thread is a safe cute zone [but more art woo!]

Boone
01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
OMG, All done in one night! I havent really got time for two projects but damn I wanted to give it a bash. Okay, here is the reference photo(sorry about the quality) and final sketch respectively...

http://uk.geocities.com/galatea_ips/external/FullSizeImages/sketches/Yiff1.jpg

http://uk.geocities.com/galatea_ips/external/FullSizeImages/sketches/Yiff2a.jpg

...I was too wrapped up in the reference that I forgot what this workshop was about! However, I found myself drawn to the highlights, shadows and muscles, and so I decided to let them become the creature aspect of the piece. I was thinking about "yiffing"(Good god, did I just mention the "Y" word?:eek: ) myself into a fox but it just didnt seem right somehow. Somehow less seemed to be more in this case...

I have to say I've had a great evening and its always nice to shut down the computer and do something more traditional. I ought to do this more often(Sketching that is, not getting my shirt off!):cool:

aethalin
01-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Hiya,

Ooo very nice idea, since I have my internet back up. ((Cox sure live up to their name. :) *coughs at the bad joke*)) I am definitely up for this. Good luck everyone, and I hope to see some kick butt work. :)

As always take care, be safe, and farewell

aethalin

Djampa
01-31-2009, 01:26 AM
killermachine, funny to see a bat with turban *lol*, that's cool !
Keep it up :)

Mu, yeah, nice start !

I thought of myself as a lizard, not sure yet, some few rough sketches by now, but I'm looking for something different now, I've to look deeper on my creature side.. *lol* Otherwise it seems we are going to make a reptile party here :D

Mu, I can imagine your drawing after painting, really cool, if you increase a little bit the wrath (or hunger hehehehe) expression this will scare everybody here :D
(the lil gerbil will have to take care after you free that snake...)

Daddy, hey turtle ! that will be great.

NR, Johan, I go with Beckie, that guy on silhouette seems cool (lower right).

Spirit Dreamer... nice start too, Dragon seems a great creature, seems that you fit well with it as well :D keep it up, keep zbrushing :)

Beckie, that lil cutie creature... can't wait to see it... :D

Djampa
01-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I ought to do this more often(Sketching that is, not getting my shirt off!):cool:

:D :D :D

Really nice sketch !

killermachine
01-31-2009, 06:57 AM
killermachine, I'd definitely suggest starting to use reference at this point for the arms, hands, and face. Really study the anatomy of the arm (there's plenty of free ref online), or take a picture of your own arm or have someone do that for you. I think the sketch needs more fluidity and a sense of gesture / motion - right now it seems a little static, so you want to loosen it up a bit. Keep working!

-R

yea it has been preetty tense for me lately and i didnt got enough to draw. maybe thats showing in it..yea as my hand gets it flow it'l get better.i didnt put any real effort in getting anatomy right here.these are just gestures sketches.it'l b completly diff drawing when i start today.i intend to use grey green and blue only in palette..any tips for limited palette??

haha Mu,i hope the scales are not itchy :beer:
tc

SpiritDreamer
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
JAN. 31, 2009

THANKS MR MU...Samanthie..Djampa..:)

Post #2
WIP.
My Self Portrait as an Asian Dragon
Z Brush
The full figure that i'm working on for this concept can be seen in my sketchbook / anatomy thread...last page...link is below this image.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SELF_PORTRAIT_DRAGON_15.jpg

Boone
01-31-2009, 01:10 PM
That is awesome work, SpiritDreamer.:cool:

shapemaster
01-31-2009, 04:11 PM
hi

seems like everyone's gathered to talk XD
i have a question ... does creature mean really creature-like (like a cow or something) or can it be humanoid?

Rebeccak
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
hi

seems like everyone's gathered to talk XD
i have a question ... does creature mean really creature-like (like a cow or something) or can it be humanoid?It can definitely be humanoid, and I agree, would love to see more art! ;)

Boone, that's a good start, are you going to work on it at all digitally? If you're keeping it traditional, check out tonyryder.com, his demos are really great for blocking in / shading technique. Also what creature will you be? :) Looking forward to more!

shapemaster
01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
thanks rebeccak for the fast reply.

just doodlin around, i guess im gonna go for a deep sea theme. deep sea creatures always fascinated me! :)

10min for the uncoloured and 15min for the coloured

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/flesh_dog/96.gif

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/flesh_dog/95.gif

LouisBrowne
01-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Freaking awsome brief, my man.

DaddyMack
01-31-2009, 07:59 PM
JAN. 31, 2009

My Self Portrait as an Asian Dragon

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SELF_PORTRAIT_DRAGON_15.jpg

Stunning!..

stridiggio
01-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Hello,
This is my First WIP (1/4): David's Octopus concept, I think that is not necessary my photo as you can see. :argh:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/rissokoala/retratoalienmio3.jpg

but still I have a FAQ, it is necessary that the creature has neck and torso?. or so is fine. Thank you and good look for everyone!

redehlert
02-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Red: If you're in, I'm in. (like I have the time to play) :)

hey carl! i'm on like tron.
goin' to goat myself up proper. i've got a ton of goat refs and a bunch of goofy self shots to use as well. i'm sketchin' up the thumbnail ideas this eve.

best!
d

kary
02-01-2009, 04:27 AM
This is a great idea for a workshop, and some very interesting work up already. Will try to do a speed sculpt or a drawing for this.

Boone
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
It can definitely be humanoid, and I agree, would love to see more art! ;)

Boone, that's a good start, are you going to work on it at all digitally? If you're keeping it traditional, check out tonyryder.com, his demos are really great for blocking in / shading technique. Also what creature will you be? :) Looking forward to more!

I dont think I will get chance to take it further, but the main thing nagging me about it is the ear.

I like to think of this as the creature that lurks within each of us, and in this portrait its starting to surface - bit like a demonic-ape man sort of thing.

As my scanner is now useless( it only works on a Win95 machine ) my best bet might be to use this picture as reference to block out in MSPaint and then enhance in PaintShopPro. Unfortuately I will be doing the HMC#18 until the 9th, so I'll only have three nights to finish this for the 12th...its going to be a close call!:argh:

Mu
02-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi there,

just want to report back that I corrected the fangs and pushed the snake pupils down a bit to make them match my original expression a bit more (more wrath).

I checked scale ref suggested by Glenn and realized that I will only need to push their appearance most where the highlight hits.

Also, I surrendered for the umpteenth time to colour and went back to pure b/w value work. I might tint it later on, who knows.

Stridiggio,

it says in the description on page one that you don't need a full creature depiction. So, no torso needed.
What you probably should tweak a bit is composition, in my opinion. Your face is pretty much dead center.
It is a bit towards the upper center, though. So you could take the tentacles and form them up in a way which could suggest an iconic composition, maybe. Look at Phil Straub's composition tutorial here, (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275)he describes iconic composition with a portrait the pose of which is pretty close to what you got!

razz
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey, I've expected a lot more participants, where's everybody hiding? I know you guys are working so show something!

Here's me. I'm a nice guy. No, really, I am.
I'll work more on the likeness and correcting stuff once I start painting.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2496/ifw0011ij2.jpg

Intervain
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
good start razz :) I don't think people are hiding - I think that the restriction in the number of images makes everyone hold back till they've got something worth showing... so is that horns on your head? :)

razz
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Magdalena, come on, 4 images are enough. And no, those are marguerites (http://pages.videotron.com/sourire/marguerites.jpg) on my head, but I found it really hard to draw them :shrug:

Intervain
02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
oh I'm not saying it's not enough...

razz
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Magdalena, yes, I know. I was just stating that there's no need for holding back. And I actually can't wait to see something from you :)

NR43
02-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Enough chit chat y'all... let's show us something here! :arteest:

I took the 3 silhouettes I liked the most and started playing with them... changed many things constantly without thinking about detail too much. For a detail freak like me, that's a great step forward already!

1. rat-bird-cat with clock (I like clocks!), would love to make him look like someone is calling him from behind his back and he's looking like "what? c'mon say what you want to say coz I'm in a hurry here..."

2. I also like this one because of the action in the pose
Also, the humanlike shape of the head would allow me to work on physical likeness (it's supposed to be a SP...)

3. Really liking this one because I would LOVE to be able to fly... I'd love to let this one look like it's enjoying his flight a lot... likeness will be a problem here :/

What do you guys think? Should I go for physical likeness... or is likeness not that relevant?

No ref used at this point, except a mirror.
http://users.telenet.be/nr43/images/cgtalk/workshops/IFW_001/IFW_001_004_resize.jpg

razz
Great start buddy!
You could check the mirror for prominent characteristics and play with the proportions of your anatomical features to create some variations :)
I like Magdalena's idea of horns too... worth a try!

stridiggio
why not add a bit of a body to the octopuss? It would make your creature more believable...

shapemaster
can't wait to see what you'll come up with!

Glenn
just awesome ;)

Still wondering if we can post more than 4 images in our own sb threads...?

Rebeccak
02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
shapemaster, good stuff! Both have good possibilities, the 2nd could be really cool with that top face as a mask. Looking forward to seeing how you push this.

stridiggio, good start! I'd like to see the arms a little more gestural and extended, they seem to be perhaps a bit small and cramped? I like the perspective, maybe even a suggestion is to extend the composition vertically with the tentacles extending downard, and the face towards the top. Keep going!

Boone, ah gotcha. Hope you can take it further if you get the chance!

razz, good to see your work! I like the inclusion of the upper torso, will be nice to see what your next step is.

NR43, I like #1 - the little smirk there is pretty interesting. I can picture this guy scampering down a path. What's that on his back?

Good stuff guys, looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!

razz
02-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Johan, hey, those are horns on my head! Will be more clear once I start painting. This sketch is just for myself I suppose. I kind of have a clear idea of how I want it to look finished, which is a great thing! About your stuff, I must agree with Rebecca, #1 looks the most interesting. One thing though, how will you make it a self-portrait?

Rebecca, thank you! Oh, I wanted to make it harder for myself so that's why the torso. Not to mention it makes it much more interesting to look at. Good to be working!

On to do some more work, just as Johan, enough chit chat for me.

jojo1975
02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
I've prepared a photoshopped reference myface+creature and then I want to do it as a skecth.. is it ok. May I hope post it ? I can assure it's really funny :)

SpiritDreamer
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
THANKS ...DaddyMack....Boone....Johan :)

POST #3
Turning my relief sculpture sketch self portrait as an Asian Dragon into an ALCOVE.
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SELF_PORTRAIT_DRAGON_23.jpg

Alekzsander
02-01-2009, 11:14 PM
nice asian dragon SpiritDreamer :)

Alekzsander
02-02-2009, 12:48 AM
hi everybody , this my first draw of myself i hope you like it

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/carlos_tetris/prub1.jpg

Rebeccak
02-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Alekzsander, not a bad start. My recommendation might be to either refine the column or to leave it out - is there any reason for the column being there?

Would love to see this rendered a lot further, keep going, and looking forward to updates. For inspiration, take a look at some of the work of artist Peter Konig. (http://peterkonigart.typepad.com/photos/creature_design/index.html)

Edit:

A random does of inspiration:

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g05/161305/161305_1233082652_submedium.jpg (http://aniii.cgsociety.org/gallery/723609/)

Mathieu Leyssenne / aka Aniii (http://aniii.cgsociety.org/gallery/723609/)

Alekzsander
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
hi, my beautiful RebeccaK . Well i ' ll refine the column :) and thanks for you recommendation

DaddyMack
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi guys, here's my first WIP image. Currently working on a pose for him, thinking zen meditation... The beard is just a placeholder

http://www.mack3d.com/zbrush/mackturtle1.jpg

Thanks again for the inspiring theme:beer:

Boone
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Enter da Tur'tle!:cool:

Rebeccak
02-03-2009, 04:26 AM
DaddyMack, haha, great start! :) And nice to see a real picture. Will this be a super lumpy turtle? :D Can't wait to see more. :)

Valandar
02-03-2009, 05:10 AM
My Wacom arrived today, YAY!

And while playing around, I did a rough sample of the idea I had in mind for mine:

http://valandar3d.fools3d.com/BilGriff.jpg

That's a really old photo of me (from a LARP), and I'll probably do my final image on a photo taken specifically for this contest. However, the idea is there - me as a griffon.

DaddyMack
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
boone.. lol

Rebeccak.. not sure yet, slow and steady, still gathering reference atm...

I forgot to upload the timelapse of Mackturtle, will do it with the next wip image

shapemaster
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
NR43 - i think the rat has the most potential artistically. #2's pose looks a bit awkward and #3 is kinda flat. however ... the likeness is a problem, but i think its one we all have. :D

Rebeccak - well, the mask is one way to solve the likeness problem X) if i cant manage to do it differently ill go with that method.

Alekzsander - it looks great, but how do you want to get a likeness? :)

DaddyMack - lol the turtle is funny! im curious how yours will turn out.

Valandar - haha nice costume

still experimenting. Im trying to figure out how to get a likeness without looking too boring. doesnt look like me at all, the only thing thats still original are the eyes -_-

what do you guys think? acceptable or not?

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/flesh_dog/42.jpg
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/flesh_dog/42head.jpg

Kaidonni
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm still stuck at the not-drawing-my-self-portrait-too-perfectly stage. Some of my reference photos of myself are just...too detailed. I end up focusing on all of that too much. Luckily I shot some pics that aren't great quality, they are a bit grainy, so I can finally get a more rough self-portrait done. I won't spend much longer trying out poses for my face, it's a side-on view I've drawn just moments ago, so I can basically focus on some thumbnails, even shadowed thumbnails to get just the outline. It is hard, I can say that. I have lots of references for raccoons, but it won't be easy at all...lol.

NR43
02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Alekzsander Nice start... make it do something, like Rebecca said, altering the position of the head can give some awesome results!
DaddyMack Awesome man, love how you used the mouth barrel as a characteristic for your creature. It really works!
Valandar man that must have hurt sticking that thing in your mouth :p
Excellent idea though. Looking forward to see your next update.
Taole hey you look creepy! Awesome start!
Kaidonni It might help to simplify. check your reference photo's or mirror for typical characteristics like the shape of your head (square, round, long,...) small nose? huge nose? big eyes? wide chin? do quick line sketches rather than long shading exercises. Try to draw your head in different poses, but do it rather quickly (say max 10-15min per sketch) until you know the form of your head well. Then start deforming (the fun part!)

Kaidonni
02-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks, will do. I will also, at the end of each sketch, scribble in a few shapes/lines to prove to myself how simple my head probably really is. A shape for the head itself, the eye line, the nose line, the mouth line. Basic construction shapes and lines. Will probably help me a great deal. I'll also make sure to shrink the image I'm studying in these cases (I hate large images, plus I need to focus on general issues, not get all bogged down in detail).

KolbyJukes
02-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm gonna have a go at this one, started sculpting myself last night.

Hoping to see lots of 3d entries, I'm looking at you Kris & Magdalena :) .

-K.

Rebeccak
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
DaddyMack, looking forward to the Mackturtle timelapse!

Valandar, glad you got your Wacom, it'll be interesting to see what you start painting. ;)

shapemaster, sweet stuff, I love the low key palette.

KWAK, can't wait to see your entry! And I agree, we need more 3D artists (and more 2D artists!) aboard.

jamihn
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Looking through here, there's a lot of fun directions this is going. Gonna try to jump in if time allows. Stupid deadlines.

Alekzsander
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
hi shapemaster - sometimes i feel like a real animal :) , good start i hope see you more

hi NR43 - im gonna do some changes , well its a little difficult draw with a mouse

hi KWAK - i hope to see more entries , is gonna be more interesting :)

Intervain
02-03-2009, 07:30 PM

-K.

wicked to see you in! Damn I have to do something now :beer: [I'm such a lazy person]

EarVant
02-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Quick Q&A. I'm new to CGSociety, the posting part, but have been watching for some time now. What's expected from these Workshops, what's needed and who's allowed...? Most 'Workshops' I've seen are limited in number and seem to be for paying students. ATM I'm in need of brushing up my abilities, and learning more, since I'm planning on going back to studying in September. I'd like to get busy here, an interesting objective.

Thanks for any comments and answers...

Rebeccak
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
There's some inspirational hilarity here (http://chrom.cgsociety.org/gallery/696336/).

Wongedan
02-04-2009, 01:13 AM
lol, I hate to admit that i cant hold myself joining this narcistic workshop

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/arriev/DSG/weirdo-1.jpg

desperately not changing my eye look..... lol

edit** i add a beak
it was like this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/arriev/DSG/th_weirdo.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/arriev/DSG/?action=view&current=weirdo.jpg)

Intervain
02-04-2009, 01:22 AM
great :D it's looking really cool!

I've started my portrait finally - nothing to post yet but just wanted to say KWAK gave me a kick in the butt ;)... I'm going for Medusa [was thinking of a Vampire since I've been called that numerous times - especially by my mom - but it was too obvious ;)]

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 01:24 AM
xvampire, cool start, that 'come hither' look is fairly funny. :)

Quick Q&A. I'm new to CGSociety, the posting part, but have been watching for some time now. What's expected from these Workshops, what's needed and who's allowed...? Most 'Workshops' I've seen are limited in number and seem to be for paying students. ATM I'm in need of brushing up my abilities, and learning more, since I'm planning on going back to studying in September. I'd like to get busy here, an interesting objective.

Thanks for any comments and answers...Hey there, welcome. These Workshops are free (yay, one of the few things in the world that are) and anyone can participate here. What is needed is peoples' participation and hard work! [cue music]. Basically, the way the Workshops on the Anatomy Forum work is that everyone posts their WIP to one thread. It's just easier than trying to keep up with 50 individual threads. For this Workshop I have limited everyone to 4 WIP / Work in Progress images so we don't get a flood of images (which may have had the unintended effect of slowing image posting too much, but that is intended to be a good thing if people post their best work). Feel free to test the waters, we're a friendly group. ;) However I do encourage group critique and constructive criticism.

Edit - also, regarding the Workshops, to be receive email notification of when new Workshops start, subscribe here:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=379951)

You are also encouraged (though not by any means required) to start a Sketchbook documenting your general progress in your figure studies (be they 2D or 3D) here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)

Cheers,

-R

KolbyJukes
02-04-2009, 02:38 AM
I've started my portrait finally - nothing to post yet but just wanted to say KWAK gave me a kick in the butt ;)...

Glad to hear it, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Yeah, I still have to decide what kinda creature I'm going to be, for now I'm just sculpting a neutral portrait, then I'll mess myself all up.

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Well, I'm currently in the process of turning myself into "Barf" from Spaceballs, possibly my favorite character of all time. :)

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Spaceballs-BH-01.jpg

WIP:

http://www.rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Misc/Imaginative%20Figure_Self%20Portrait%20As%20A%20Creature/Self-as-Barf_01.jpg

Edit:

http://rebeccakimmel.com//gallery/albums/Misc/Imaginative%20Figure_Self%20Portrait%20As%20A%20Creature/IFDW-001_Doodles-2_giffer.gif

The above gif of the messy process up to this point is purely for your amusement, since I feel confident it contains nothing of educational value. The steps are pretty funny - I'm not sure what I was thinking with the hair at first, Princess Leai buns? I look German and trollish in the beginning? Weird. Enjoy.

Also, before I settled on "Barf", I tried out a few ho hum silhouette sketches, none of which were particularly grand, but I thought this one was funny:

http://www.rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Misc/Imaginative%20Figure_Self%20Portrait%20As%20A%20Creature/Stealth-Cow.jpg

I mean, stealth cow? Wtf? Heh.

KolbyJukes
02-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Sweet choice Rebecca, looking great.

Here's a peak at the first pass on my neutral face, pretty boring so far. Still deliberating on what to turn myself into, but I think I have a pretty solid idea now.

-K.

http://kolbyjukes.com/images/work/me/1stpass.jpg

shapemaster
02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
For this Workshop I have limited everyone to 4 WIP / Work in Progress images so we don't get a flood of images (which may have had the unintended effect of slowing image posting too much, but that is intended to be a good thing if people post their best work).

uh .... damn! i somehow missed that ... so ive only got one more left? or does posting 3 different possbilities not count? :)

EarVant
02-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the heads up Rebecca. Ok then, I'll get started on it, just need to reinstall my PC. It went on a strike.

I'll keep this spot/post as a placeholder for my work.

PS:suggestion: Maybe we can try to stick to keeping posts to a minimum and just edit a single post adding new WIP or replacing already posted images, yet still keeping the chronoligy? That way your work is always 'grouped' and it's easier to see/compare the progress? Also keeps the posts to a minimum making it look like we have a lot of image posting :D

EDIT: OK gotcha! :p

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
uh .... damn! i somehow missed that ... so ive only got one more left? or does posting 3 different possbilities not count? :)Hey shapemaster, I'm just going to ask you to keep things within reason - the same goes for everyone here. I just have no desire to look at millions of WIP images of subtle variations on an image from any single member. If you can keep it within reason, I don't mind people posting more than 4 images.

That being said, I really hope that some don't read this and take it as a carte blanche to flood the thread with WIPs. I don't think that's going to happen though. :) [So far, due to the image restriction, this has been one of the quietest Workshops on record].

I'm only allowing myself to post one more image. :)

Kwak, thanks, and cool start!

I'll keep this spot/post as a placeholder for my work.

PS:suggestion: Maybe we can try to stick to keeping posts to a minimum and just edit a single post adding new WIP or replacing already posted images, yet still keeping the chronoligy? That way your work is always 'grouped' and it's easier to see/compare the progress? Also keeps the posts to a minimum making it look like we have a lot of image posting :DNah, just keep posting replies, as no one goes back to check older posts. People ask that question in each Workshop :) but I always encourage folks to post a new reply since no one will know when you have posted new work if you edit your posts, and therefore your work won't be seen.

Boone
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Finally the "Teach" joins in! Awesome choice in "Barf", Rebecca.:applause:

This is one of the best threads ever. :buttrock:

MichaelZHsee
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
finally fit in myself alil time for this(after working hours),heres the 1st wip,im pretty bad with animals anatomy,so i in corperated myself into some sort of creature with horns and tails,buff up the body and with ape/tarzan posture:D
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7144/selfcharacterrw6.jpg

ill try my best to further work on this :)

paperclip
02-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Love yours, Michael, it looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing it done....

Had an exam yesterday so didn't have time to work on mine...then did some work last night and my computer crashed and I lost it...:cry:
But I'm going to do another one tonight!

SpiritDreamer
02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Post #4

MY Self Portrait as an Asian Dragon
PEARL OF WISDOM
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/SELF_PORTRAIT_DRAGON_49.jpg

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Michael, great to see you finally in! :) Love the perspective on this one. Definitely looking forward to seeing this finished!

gpepper
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM

-K.

Uh ! Kolby, Kris, Magda...
Will be a huge workshop !

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey everyone,

Just a reminder to bookmark or subscribe to this thread as it will soon go off the front page. :)

Also, a reminder that if you want to be notified of future Workshops, subscribe to this thread:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=379951)

Kaidonni
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Hmmm, to get a better grasp of my facial features, I decided to go ahead and trace over one of my reference photos in Photoshop. Just a rough at the moment, but it might help me do a bit better. I might even work out the deformations from the trace, in fact. That isn't...erm...a bad idea, is it? I've added in some basic guides to inform me of the form of my face, such as eye line, etc.

Mu
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
holy kitten, Michael! That is so dynamic and powerful! I love your drawing!

Glenn. Epic entry. Looks like it's filled with magic.

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm, to get a better grasp of my facial features, I decided to go ahead and trace over one of my reference photos in Photoshop. Just a rough at the moment, but it might help me do a bit better. I might even work out the deformations from the trace, in fact. That isn't...erm...a bad idea, is it? I've added in some basic guides to inform me of the form of my face, such as eye line, etc.Kaidonni, I don't mind that at all, this is in essence a learning Workshop, and I would encourage you to do what helps you to better understand form. My only condition is that when people trace or use guides or color pick or use some other aid that is not direct painting, they mention these methods in their posts. I don't even have a problem with photo collage so long as people are honest about it and don't say that a photo collage is a straight painting. :) The only thing I care about is that you learn something from the process and that everyone is honest about their techniques.

In point of fact I strongly recommend using guides for the face. Here's a demo for the axes of the features of the face (traditional drawing by artist Anthony Ryder) - click image for larger version:

http://rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Tutorials%20and%20Demos/normal_Demo-007_analysis_small-07.jpg (http://rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Tutorials%20and%20Demos/Demo-007_analysis_small-07.jpg)

WyattHarris
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Post #4
MY Self Portrait as an Asian Dragon
PEARL OF WISDOM
Glenn
Hey Spirit, I haven't been around this forum in many months so I haven't seen your work in a while. I must say that from the last pic of yours I saw to this one I see a marked improvement. Your ZBrush work has come a long way.

I know you practice a lot, it really shows.
:thumbsup:

razz
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Glenn, magical! Would love to see you do more of your Painter wizardry though :)

MichaelZHsee, great start. But his right hand bothers me, just looks so uncomfortable assuming it holds most of his (yours) bodyweight in this pose. And a slight turn of the head could make it more interesting so we wouldn't see it from the very front. Just suggestions, I'm sure it'll end up look highly amazing!

KWAK, nice to see some 3d. I was hoping for that. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with.

Rebecca, that's just beautiful! Neat choice indeed.

It's coming together slowly. Still lots of work to do on the grayscale (loads of stuff to fix if that's not obvious) but I hope the next update will be in color.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9862/ifw0013zm9.jpg

Rebeccak
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey razz, that's looking really cool so far! It would be cool to see the horns come out more from the head maybe, but I'm sure your plans for this are better than mine. :) Definitely looking forward to progress!

gpepper
02-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Razz here too !?
ok, the ultimate workshop here !

I am thinking to sketch myself as an Ostrich...

TheBeatnik2334
02-05-2009, 12:26 AM
here is my attempt. I'm still new to digital painting, this is only the fourth or so project I have worked on. It a cross between me and a Lion, despite the fact it looks apish with the dark hair. any words of wisdom would be outstanding. I foolishly started this without a strong light source in my reference, so I might re-shoot my ref. the harder and more complete your criticism the more it will help.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/TheBeatnik3954/beastselfportraitWIP-1.jpg

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Hey razz, thanks!

gpepper, just dooo it. ;)

TheBeatnik2334, heya, welcome! Thanks for posting. If you don't mind, I might have a few suggestions. :)

Are you using reference? I highly suggest gathering different ref. resources and combining them to create your image. You don't have to draw strictly from your imagination, more or less, whatever you need to do to further your digital painting abilities, I always encourage you to do. A key bit is looking at the real world and finding stuff that suits our needs in terms of ref.

Consider the perspective too - features on any face are wrapped around the sphere / cylinder of the head, but in your piece the features feel as though they are related across a relatively direct / straight line. Basically think of the eyes and mouth as relating along an ellipse that wraps around the head, like the rings of Saturn were those rings stuck to the planet. Someone before was asking if it was okay to trace reference to get the feel of how the figure or face is constructed. I would recommend trying that on a straight reference of a close up of a lion's face, to get the feel of the proportions and of the roundness of the form.

Hope that helps! :)

-R

TheBeatnik2334
02-05-2009, 01:05 AM
I am using reference, although I didn't take it well. The main issue is that I'm new to digital painting. I have a decent drawing background, so if it were a pencil drawing, I would be able to shade it well. the issue is when I use photoshop to paint an image. I tend to do this thing where I start out well but my strokes are not neat and refined, causing me to spread out and muddy up the image. Ill continue my practice though. thanks for the feedback.

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Ah, gotcha. Well we're all learning, by no means do I consider myself to be an expert, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. :)

One thing you might consider trying is scanning a drawing and working from there. I've done that many times and I enjoy that process.

A couple of digital painting tips: when in brush mode, press Alt and click any part of your canvas (assuming you are using Photoshop) to select a value from anywhere. You can also at the beginning of any painting create a value scale from black to white by creating a rectangular marquee selection and using the gradient tool to get a range from pure black to pure white within that rectangular selection. Also right click your pen to change the size and hardness of your brush. You can modify the Shape Dynamics of your brush and even change its roundness, spacing, etc. by clicking on the Brush presets icon at the right upper menu of PS.

As a general approach, I'd recommend using a large, not a small brush, to block in big shapes and values - try blurring your reference or just squinting your eyes to see the bigger areas of value. Also I'd just treat the hair as a mass instead of as individual strands until the value structure and shape design is worked out.

All of these things I have to continually remind myself to do, since we are all learning and most of digital painting is just a reiteration of the basics and fundamentals, just using digital tools.

But I'm just blathering. :)

-R

TheBeatnik2334
02-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I really appreciate all your help. I actually read ImagineFX a good deal, So I have a decent "Knowledge" of digital painting, but being self taught I have never had the mentor who I could actually interact with to guide my through my trail and error. In a little while Ill post a picture of a nude in my sketchbook thread. It was actually completed with from a female anatomy for the artist pic, so it will give a better indication of painting skill.

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Hey, no prob, I'm self taught too in the realm of digital painting (I think I did one or two before launching the Workshops, there's a method to my madness, see? ;)) so I'm happy you find the Workshop useful. Off to a class, woop!

snowkiwi
02-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Hey there's Rebecca. I haven't seen you in a while. Nice to see you again. Really neat workshop.

mlutz
02-05-2009, 07:30 AM
hi fellas. some nice work in here.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/184/img0001copynn6.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6168/img0006copyzu8.jpg

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
mlutz,

Nice to have you aboard - welcome to cgtalk!

I like that large righthand sketch, any reason you chose not to pursue that one digitally? It's a good start on the digital sketch, would really like to see you take that to a final stage in the next week!

Cheers,

-R

gingerbreadman
02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Great idea with this topic and opportunity to try something new. I am going for character from outer space.
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj408/Gingerbreadman_2009/Workshop/sketch.jpg

gingerbreadman
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is WIP.
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj408/Gingerbreadman_2009/Workshop/smoking-creature2.jpg

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey gingerbreadman, welcome. :) May I suggest working in grayscale? It's a common starting point and a much simpler and more effective way to work out the value system in a painting. In a way I think the simple sketches in the first post are more effective than the full color version because they are only in grayscale. Adding color is just an added layer of complexity when the most important thing is the underlying structure. :)

You can see some tutorials on this subject here:

Tutorials - How Do I Go From Grayscale to Color? (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=443818)

Hope it helps, looking forward to an update!

-R

stridiggio
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
DaddyMack: funny zen meditation turtle!.
Shapemaster: cool concept acceptable
Xvampire: I like how you look like in the thumbnail Edit.
MichaelZHsee and Razz: strong portraits and great pose!

Mu: luck with your snake creature portrait!, thanks for the reference of Phil Straub's composition tutorial, is a bigger help to know about compo in English. Perhaps the iconic composition is applying right now.

NR43: I Like the concept of The rat-bird-cat seems funny. If I add body I have something like the first next picture, but I'm thinking that is like a (cliché) body with head of octopus (similar to Davy Jones from Pirates of the caribbean) so I'm not sure about it.

Rebeccak: I did the homework, tentacles were small and cramped. I made the correction on the canvas composition, but before following with the pose and details I have to choose one of these:
First with body and Second more like a creature.
WIP #2.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/rissokoala/Imagen1.jpg
luck everyone! :wip:

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey stridiggio, really good stuff, there's clearly a lot of work and effort here. :) I like the top one better, I know the image is probably cropped, but might I suggest leaving some space above the head and perhaps a little surrounding space for the final composition? Another suggestion might be to more clearly define where the light is coming from, and to more heavily emphasize / detail the face so that there is an area of focus within the painting. All that said, really nice progress, and looking forward to your next update! :)

jojo1975
02-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Here is my reference...
My self as Caravaggio/Eros :)))))))))))))) I will redraw it (this is photoshopped ;)
comments are wellcome. Of course it's meant to be funny and not serious ;)
I wish I had some darts for love... everything will be easier
http://www.giorgioluciano.net/CgTalk/MeCaravaggio.jpg

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Haha, that's hiliarious, WIN. I'm looking forward to seeing the redrawn version. ;)

Vimmy
02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I maybe decided to do a bit of the workshop, so just started to work on baseshape... in the context... me... well what we call a human body

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7977/samnj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lander
02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey you all. cool stuff in the works I see. I decided to approach myself from the animal side and work myself towards myself as a human. Hopefully I'll find a nice blend along the way.

Rebeccak
02-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Prack, sweet, great start! Can't wait to see what you'll do with this. :)

Lander, hey, welcome! Love the expression, this should be a cool piece!

cire8888
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey Rebecca,

Here's my version...combining self-portrait and a lion.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=137823

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=137824

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=137828&stc=1

Intervain
02-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Sam - cool to see you here :) Good start!

cire8888 - hehe nice one - I like the hairdo :)

ok - I've finally forced myself to do the rough self-portrait part - can't say I enjoyed it ;) - here's a very symmetrical mug with crazy eyes... :scream:

http://mdadela.com/ssp_director/albums/album-7/lg/1.jpg

jamihn
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
cire8888 - love the snarl!
Intervain - whoa. can't wait to see what that morphs into!

Okay, so here's me. I guess monkey is kind of a gimme, but my favorite animal is a Golden Lion Tamarin. I think the open eye is drifting a bit, but I'll paint over all of this mess.

http://jamihn.com/wip/creatureSelfPortrait01.jpg

Lander
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
jojo1975: No intention to be disrespectful but with that expression on your face where is the left hand going? :)

Rebeccak
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Hey Eric,

Nice to see you participate! :) I like the top / lion one more than the mech one. The shirt on the lion one is starting to look good. What I might suggest clarifying is where the light is coming from. The frontal lighting might not be as interesting as a slightly off center light source, which would lend more interesting shadow shapes on one or the other side of the face. I’d say the same thing for the mech, the light source seems too frontal – these could be more dramatic I think. Looking forward to your updates!

Magda, great to see this entry from you, can’t wait to see the updates. :)

Jamihn, I like the expression, that’s pretty hilarious.

jojo1975
02-06-2009, 10:04 AM
@ Lander... Same place as in the original ;)

Kaidonni
02-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Just an update on my work. I'm not going with the tracing idea anymore. Instead, I'm sketching by hand my self-portrait from my references (HB or 2B graphite sticks) and then going over the top of them with 6B+ graphite sticks in order to explore any changes I can make. I'd post pics here, but I don't want to use up the 4 image limit. I figure that, to take the muzzle of a raccoon, I do need to move my nose further forward, and dealing with how it will combine with my face and with the mouth/chin area should be interesting. :)

Jamie, nice going there. Hehe, I don't have any reference photo of myself with any amusing expression. I might take one for when I choose my final pose, though.

subhendu3d
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Really really stunning work... 5 * from me

Djampa
02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi there, wow, lots of cool updates, this is getting nicer each day.

Jamihn, that's funny :) keep it up. I like the style of your sketch.

Magda, wow, I'm so curious about your next steps ;)

Eric, I like the Lion, fits well, will become a strong portrait, keep it up.

Prack, great start, nice to see your work around here, pretty zbrush.

Jojo - hahahha - that's dmn cool, keep that going, :D

Michael - wow, great to have you onboard :) - great start.

Spirit - Hey man, you developed your skills a lot, this is great to see :) Looking great!

Rebecca - barf ? hahHHAHAHAHHA that's TRULY funny.
I'm posting my stuff soon ;)
I'm morphing to a lizard for sure :D - The komodo dragon...

gingerbreadman
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Thank you Rebeccak. Your advices are always welcome. This link http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=23 doesn't work but Steven Stahlberg's tutorial is great.

Mu
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
razz - that's looking great. I like the emotions in the face. The horns are not that easy to read, though. Maybe lighten up the rear parts?

stridiggio - I think that's much better. Leaving more space as Rebecca suggested might be a good idea to make it better still

lander - also, great emotions. I like the eyes very much. They look so 3D with the reflections just in the right place!

cire8888 - (lion self) how cool is that? One of my favourite pieces in the workshop, because it looks so convincingly casual.

jamihn - another great expression, ROFL. I just love the idea. I would suggest adding the eyebrows somehow to make it resemble you a tad more. Just my opinion.

Here's my final value stuff. I will try and go to color from here. With advice from Glenn I checked scale ref (painted ones) by Boris Vallejo and realized he only painted the lightest lights in scale shapes on a scaled body. The rest was partly blended, partly with thin suggestions of scales. I tried to apply this to my face.

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_016.JPG

DaddyMack
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
rebeccak.. lol @ barf, can't wait

KWAK.. great to see you here bro, I've watched your work go from strength to strength over the years

MichelZHsee.. Stunning! His right hand looks like it's a little broken tho

Lander.. Tuurtle!.. Hi fellow shelled one:wavey: Crack up sketch too!

cire888.. that's kinda scary man, well done

Intervain.. OOh... waiting to see this

jamihn.. still chuckling as I type, that's really funny

Mu.. love the hilites on the fangs

Welp, here's my second WIP guys, haven't had much time but upped the vids too:)

http://www.mack3d.com/zbrush/mackturtle2.jpg

Any pointers?

Timelapse 1 (http://www.mack3d.com/zbrush/mackturtletimelapse1a.mov)

and

Timelapse 2 (http://www.mack3d.com/zbrush/mackturtletimelapse2a.mov)

jamihn
02-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Mu - WHOA! Scary tongue action there! I really like the scales.

DaddyMack - That's awful darn cute. I love the hands. It's like you're saying "hug me please!"

Intervain
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
haha DaddyMack - I have to agree, it's really cute :) It should be holding a cute porcelain teacup ;)

Mu - nice job! I think a bit more contrast in the value work could bring the head out and perhaps more variation in the scales? just thinking aloud here :thumbsup:

jamihn - great expression :)

Mu
02-07-2009, 12:27 AM
DaddyMack and Jahmin - thanks for the feedback

Intervain - I think I know what you mean. I was trying to push the scales a bit while in b/w stage, but everytime I felt as if they started looking plasticky somehow.

I'll stretch the rules a bit and post this as a kind of final-but-WIP hybrid...:D

EDIT: I realize there's quite a few jpeg artefacts in the image. I linked a higher res pic, now. If you click on the pic you can see it in a larger version...

I'd appreciate any feedback a lot (also as concerns contrast).
I realize I lost a stage in my Painter .rif file version history, but I still have the basic colour layout with the greyscale underneath it and could go back and change a few things people point out in here.

Note this is my first digital colour painting. I have been doing greyscale all these years.

things I tried to mind:

- cold agains warm (in this case blue against reddish)
- less saturation in the highlights
- higher saturation where the form turns into shadow
- blueish in the shades of the form

I then slightly lit the canvas with blue and red and tinted the canvas (really just a bit) - both to bring a bit of unity into the whole thing.

Really looking forward to your suggestions:

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_018.JPG (http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_018_HIFI.JPG)

Rebeccak
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Will reply soon, right now waaaay too tired.

Working on a new direction, did a traditional oil painting and then tweaked it a bit in PS. Progress so far, Dispassionate Kim Chi Eater: ;)
Edit:Actually I like the traditional version better, but I didn't manage to get a good shot of it tonight. I'll post the digital up when it's finished.

So yeah, the plan was to do a straight oil painting, with some exaggerations (my hair is much tamer) but I realize now that I should get away from the computer and just paint, damn it's fun...

http://rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Digital/IFW%20001/Dispas-Kim-Chi-Eater_00.jpg

alenah
02-07-2009, 11:21 AM
hi all,
nice workshop!
and cool entries everyone!

I felt like "intervening" much earlier, but since I had no entry myself, I did not ...
but - I could not help myself though, in the end,
hopefully, Rebecca, you won´t mind :)

I just had im mind a little tip for your entry, Mu :)
nice one, I only think it needs - besides what has been mentioned by others earlier - perhaps also some highlights here and there, to be perfect ..
and - at the same time - I also tried to suggest the possible shape of the tongue, that could add a little bit more expression/dynamics to your/creature´s face (I should have posted it earlier, shouldn´t I, lol :) )
just a thought,

so - here´s a little paintover (horrible quality, as I only could use your low-res image, and then zoomed/cropped/enlarged it 500% - and then used another quality-reducing *gif optimizing .. ) -
it is just a rough paintover, only roughly suggesting the idea,
(since for me a quick paintover is much easier than describing the idea in my terrible limited English); I only added a few highlights, that might possibly help to define the shapes and volume a little bit more ..
(hope the animation will play)
http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00_help/alenahs_paitover_for_Mu.gif

here´s the jpeg image, as the gif is really bad quality -
but - the jpeg is not much better here, I´d say
http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00_help/after.jpg
cheers, a.
looking forward to where all the entries may go ..

Kaidonni
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I've decided to post one of my WIPs today. I'm not an expert drawer, although because I am working rough, nothing spectacular is to be expected I guess. My main focus is drawing my self-portrait with a HB or 2B graphite stick, and then going over the top, messing things about, with a 4B or higher. I have so much reference of myself that I can't tell if it has been snowing snow, or digital photos of myself...

One of my roughs:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Kaidonni/Scan_1.jpg

One of my more recent refs of myself (not sure if the above rough was based on this image, tried so many times):
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Kaidonni/IMG_0107_for_post.jpg

My main problem is, well, either getting it right or believing I've got something right. I want to inherit the muzzle of a raccoon, and hence have to move my nose and such. Want to keep my eyes where they are, and the rest of the head (the ears in that WIP aren't right, they're just roughs at the moment). Won't have any hair, just fur.

Any feedback and advice is much appreciated. I'm thinking of choosing a reference image, drawing my self-portrait, then instead of going over that, I can redraw it and mess with the redrawn versions. Basically, a self-portrait becomes the reference.

My plan is to eventually get a satisfactory rough done by hand, then I will scan it into Photoshop, ink it over with my graphics tablet (cleaning it up, fixing things, and improving things in the process), try to go for a sketch-look, perhaps slightly cartoony (realistic painting isn't my strong point), and add colour.

I hope I'm not making a mess of everything...

SpiritDreamer
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
FEB. 07, 2009

THANKS Wyatt Harris....MR MU..RAZZ :)

POST #5
My Self Portrait Bust as an Asisn Dragon
Z Brush
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/OLD_MAN_HEAD_SCULPTURE_24.jpg

Intervain
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
a beautiful painting Rebecca!

a little fun with mine - my post #2... not sure I'll go for his yet, experimented a little and made my nose a little shorter, as it's supposed to be...

http://mdadela.com/ssp_director/albums/album-7/lg/2.jpg

Quadart
02-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Some great stuff turning up here. Too bad I don’t have time to join in–looks like fun.

Intervain–That’s looking good. Is this your alter ego or just the real you? ;)

SpiritDreamer–Your blue ethereal SP is fantastic.

Boone
02-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Re: KaiDonni

A good reference and design, I say go for it!:thumbsup:

Kaidonni
02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks. I've been exploring other ways to do the merge tonight because it is tedious when I keep having to draw my own self-portrait first, and right enough, before I go over the top of it and, well, do what I feel is so 'samey.' A fair amount of my WIPs seem to almost be exactly the same, so now I've been putting up a reference pic of a raccoon and a reference pic of me and approximating things. So I can loosen things up. Plus I don't have to worry so much about the placement of the muzzle, because I don't have an under-drawing distracting me so much. Not sure if I'll keep my mouth/lip structure, it seems to be lost on the curvature of the muzzle.

I'm finding all of the works people are posting very good. A lot of it shocks me because I then go and compare it to my own work. Really looking forward to seeing the final line-up.

stridiggio
02-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Kaidonni: cool man, just a comment..maybe eyes wide open.
Jojo1975: haha too funny. :beer:
Prack: great face!
Cire8888: cool morph, would be nice if the head was slightly tilted to one side to break the symmetry.
Jamihn: really cool, I like that synthesis of the sketch looking forward to see more progress!.
Mu: thank you again! I'm on that. I saw your work and I agree with Alenah about the paintover that she did, and the tongue...but in between of these. And as perhaps you need increase the contrast to get deep and add hue values of colors and so on. Maybe you can work easily with 2 (mask layers PS) or 2 overlay layers, so in each ones (overlay layer)you could paint over the hight lights with one warm color "high value" and on the other hand the shadows with the cold color and therefore add contrast where you need just adjusting the slider for the opacity to get the correct blended balance. I know that you know that :D

Rebeccak: thank you for your useful advice! I'll working on that in these days. Traditional oil painting is great!. I miss the smell of linseed oil. :arteest:
Enjoy!.

Intervain
02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks. I've been exploring other ways to do the merge tonight because it is tedious when I keep having to draw my own self-portrait first, and right enough, before I go over the top of it and, well, do what I feel is so 'samey.' A fair amount of my WIPs seem to almost be exactly the same, so now I've been putting up a reference pic of a raccoon and a reference pic of me and approximating things. So I can loosen things up. Plus I don't have to worry so much about the placement of the muzzle, because I don't have an under-drawing distracting me so much. Not sure if I'll keep my mouth/lip structure, it seems to be lost on the curvature of the muzzle.

I'm finding all of the works people are posting very good. A lot of it shocks me because I then go and compare it to my own work. Really looking forward to seeing the final line-up.

I don't think you have to worry so much about the creature looking very much like you :) from looking at your drawing I think you've captured the feeling and character of the photo very well.

Quadart - LOL I'll leave that to the viewer ;) *evil laugh*

Mu
02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
wow alenah!

:bounce:
:bowdown:

Thanks very much for the efforts in your paintover.
The highlights on the scales look very much in the right place.
I am not sure about the specular reflections in the shade side of the face, because I was trying to stick to how Boris Vallejo treated scales in his paintings (which was a recommendation by Glenn, I didn't know the guy...:blush: ) and he hardly defines those scales at all. But I will go and give the scales another round of value work.

The tongue "gesture" you suggest is very dynamic and to the point yet fascinatingly simple. Such a little curve, yet so much impact. I have been trying and trying to get the curves right on that one. I will take your tongue curve and let the ref'ed tongue follow that path.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to taking this one step further!

Iridyse
02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Whee! Self portrait AND creatures, my fav topics ever :D

Just a quick test, about an hour or so. I think I'd make a decent vampire-cat-tarsier-axolotl thingy (I'd like the hair to be more like the axolotl gills) :D

I fail at cute :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/hiiri/selfCreatureWIP1.jpg

Kaidonni
02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow, Iridyse, that is scary! Love the eyes and nose especially.

Mu
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Schrey.holy.frack.

you mabye fail at cute but you rock at awesome!

Looking very promising.

dkim1989
02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/bust_pre_2.jpg
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/bust_pre_1.jpg

MY FIRST INITIAL SKETCHES

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/step_q1.jpg

1st_sketched a outline from a reference photo laid in the mouth and switchadoodle and jabam! magic

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/final_1.jpg

pre_final^ just wanted a repaint on my face if possible but i liked the direction i was going with the title "EYE TALK TO MUCH"

SpiritDreamer
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
FEB. 08, 2009

THANK YOU Quadart :)

FINALE POST
Post #6
3 post for my full figure self portrait composition as an Asian Dragon.
3 post for my self portrait bust as an Asian Dragon.
Z Brush
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/OLD_MAN_HEAD_SCULPTURE_27.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/OLD_MAN_HEAD_SCULPTURE_26.jpg

Mu
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
final entry

thanks very much to alenah, Magdalena, Glenn and all the othersssszss:

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_020.JPG

Kaidonni
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, deciding to use my third pic on a combined image of four of my roughs. Will probably go with the first one, the one I posted earlier, but make modifications in Photoshop plus alter the eye expression. The other three have elements I like and dislike, but they were drawn more free-hand, without a self-portrait drawn under them first.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Kaidonni/Four_roughscopy.jpg

gingerbreadman
02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Kaidonni, I agree with you that the first version is the best. I would consider fourth (bottom right) as well. It's something nice in it. Anyway, nice work. Keep going.

Here is my update. I hope I don't have such hairs in my ears. Ha ha. Unfortunately, I don't have time to work in grayscale.
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj408/Gingerbreadman_2009/Workshop/smoking-creature4.jpg

Rebeccak
02-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Sorry for the belated replies, my 6 day work week just ended so now I have a bit of a breather. :)

DaddyMack, that's fantastic, I can't wait to see the finish!

Mu, looks like you've gotten some great feedback! I like the overall effect, maybe add a very subtle texture to the background? One thing I noticed is the far eye popping a bit forward due to its lighter value, I might suggest toning it down a bit so it pushes back. Overall a very nice entry.

Alenah, nice paintover, thank you! Hope you can participate! :)

Kaidonni, good to see the progress, I always recommend to those beginning to draw to check out Anthony Ryder's book, "The Complete Guide to Figure Drawing", wherein he describes the process of blocking in forms with straight lines. I use this method to teach beginning drawing students, and it works like a charm. Try it out when you get the chance. :) I like the 1st drawing as well, I think it's a good caricature.

Magdalena, thanks! It's great to see your WIP, love the stuff on the neck and can't wait to see the final result. :)

stridiggio, you're welcome!

Iridyse, fantastic to see your work, I really anticipate your WIPs...beautiful work as always.

Edit - Daniel, great to see you post! Cheers for joining - the sketches are a good start, and the digital WIP is looking good so far. The main thing I would say is to focus on details only after the major areas of light and dark of the form have been established - in other words, work large to small, general to specific. Post more WIP and of course I'll see your final in class.

Here is a bit of a paintover:

http://rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Otis/daniel-kim_po.jpg

http://rebeccakimmel.com/gallery/albums/Otis/Spring%2009%20Drawing%20The%20Fantastic/daniel-kim_po.jpg
Main points are to watch the horizontal axes of the face and make sure that they are parallel. Also I'd suggest being mindful of the major plane breaks of the head and to think of the head as a gesture, just as you would the figure. Overall a solid start but keeping these principles in mind will make this a better overall piece. I think you can push this much further! :)

I'm working on another direction, "Parasitic Human", but I'll refrain from posting til it's finished. In the meantime you can see WIPs on my blog (http://mirrorbooks.blogspot.com/) - my first "Parasitic Human" WIP is here (http://mirrorbooks.blogspot.com/2009/02/parasitic-human.html).

Keep the work coming everyone, let's get some solid stuff pumped out by Thursday! :deal:

paperclip
02-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Mu, looking great but I have a feeling you can push it a bit more...just one more!

Mu
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I had a feeling it would come to this...

*takes notes*

"texture / eye"

gpepper
02-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Here is the beginning of my entry:

http://gpepper.free.fr/figurative/screen_sphere.jpg

Zbrush work... My favourite tool...

http://gpepper.free.fr/figurative/screen.jpg

Don't think it looks like me for the moment...

Oh, I hope you reconize the animal...

Iridyse
02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Just a quick update. Lots of very cool entries here, will reply when I'm back!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/hiiri/selfCreatureWIP3.jpg

anandpg
02-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey people!! Great work, everybody! Sorry for the late entry!:blush: Here is the start.. I thought I would try and get a likeness and then see how I can add the "creatureness" (I know.. I look like I have constipation.. http://www.anandpgindia.com/images/emoticons/17.gif)
Around 1:30 hrs in Painter...
http://www.anandpgindia.com/images/Drawings/SP02.jpg

Rebeccak
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Great to see the new entries!

gpepper, this will be cool, will he have feathers? :D

Iridyse, go go go, love it so far.

Anand, great to see you in this! It will be awesome if you can render this to the point that we think it's 3D. ;) Glad to have you aboard as always. :cool:

gpepper
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
gpepper, this will be cool, will he have feathers? :D

Feathers ? Mmmh, I don't think, Ostrich has a sort of little feather which looks like fur...
I am going to turn it to a human Ostrich with human skin....

look at it:

http://gpepper.free.fr/figurative/screen2.jpg
(http://gpepper.free.fr/figurative/screen2.jpg)

Rebeccak
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
A general question:

What would you guys feel about a Workshop based on "grading" - in essence, in an attempt to raise the stakes and consequently boost everyone's entries in terms of quality, would you be for or against a Workshop where I actually "graded" your work based on a set of criteria? I'm not putting myself up as an expert, merely trying to raise the stakes and thus the quality of the work in these Workshops.

I have to warn you, I'd be much more honest in a grade and in comments if a person is serious about being critiqued.

What does everyone think of this idea? Your input is welcome.

Mu
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
texture on the bg, also a bit of texture (applied differently) on the face, darkened eye.

posted image #4c...:D

http://muratkayi.de/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/snake_021.JPG

and a step by step gif

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/442/stepsrb1.gif

Mu
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I have to warn you, I'd be much more honest in a grade and in comments if a person is serious about being critiqued.

I am all for it. Everytime people rub my face in the dirt I get better. In order to make the grades benefit people as me as much as possible I would suggest defining a set of criteria and grading each of them.
That would help you focus on the weak areas, you know?

gpepper
02-08-2009, 04:59 PM
A general question:

What would you guys feel about a Workshop based on "grading" - in essence, in an attempt to raise the stakes and consequently boost everyone's entries in terms of quality, would you be for or against a Workshop where I actually "graded" your work based on a set of criteria? I'm not putting myself up as an expert, merely trying to raise the stakes and thus the quality of the work in these Workshops.

What does everyone think of this idea? Your input is welcome.

you mean a sort of "rating" ?

Rebeccak
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I am all for it. Everytime people rub my face in the dirt I get better. In order to make the grades benefit people as me as much as possible I would suggest defining a set of criteria and grading each of them.
That would help you focus on the weak areas, you know?Yep, that is exactly what I am thinking.

Potential grading criteria: (grade from A - F) - obviously I'm more comfortable in the 2D arena but a lot of these things apply of course to 3D as well:

Gesture
Proportion
Value
Edges
Color (if applicable)
Wow factor (eg, does it make me crap my pants?)
Effectiveness of conveying concept (if applicable)
Sense of Atmosphere (if applicable)

etc.

Can you think of others?

gpepper, the grading thing could be made optional. For those that don't want to be graded, they could opt out, which I think is only fair since these Workshops aren't official classes, and I consider myself as more of a host than a teacher here. Also for 3D work I can't comment on technical issues, though the aesthetic criteria remain more or less the same. I can totally understand that rating / grading can make people uncomfortable, but from experience I know it always brings out the best in us.

TheBeatnik2334
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I think that the grading scale would be a good idea. It would for me, at least, help me to know how well I am progressing and foster better feedback in specific problem areas.

Boone
02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Re: Rebeccak.

Honest critisim is definitely welcome. Although we may run off and cry like little lost puppies( "Oh! She was sooooo cruel!"), in the end we know its for our own good.:thumbsup:

Mu
02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't want to get too greedy, here... seeing that it is, in fact, an open workshop and for free and all, but I would also suggest a quick general pointer for each criteria, e.g.:

(assuming A is the best grade(?) we have numbers in germany...)

Proportion - E - eyes way too high, mouth too broad, get reference!

or

Value - D - small contrast range, get rid of the white bg

or

Edges - B - wide variation, good edge control, but don't soften things up too much in the center of interest

and so on... or do you think that would be too time consuming on your part?

TheBeatnik2334
02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't want to get too greedy, here... seeing that it is, in fact, an open workshop and for free and all, but I would also suggest a quick general pointer for each criteria, e.g.:

(assuming A is the best grade(?) we have numbers in germany...)

or

or

and so on... or do you think that would be too time consuming on your part?

That seems like a good track to me... although we have no grade E in the states (we don't know why either :cool: )

But it would be nice to have a grading scale to know what earned us an A, or F.

Iridyse
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Rebecca, I'm all for it.I haven't had anyone closely critiquing my work for SO long now and I know I could use a swift kick in the behind( well, not too swift, be gentle! :D) Plus, I'd have the awesome mini-experience of having you as my teacher :)

Mu: Very nice! I've never had the patience to work with scales and you pulled if off very well. I like the treatment around the eyes the most, the variation in size there. Just a tiny thing to try in the next piece perhaps- I think the scales would probably look even better had they been placed differently, if they were following the form of the face a bit more. I think using a wireframe of a 3d model with good topology would be a good base maybe? Just a suggestion, I do think you painted the scales with great patience and the progress through the steps really shows. Another tiny thing, the thin membrane at the edge of the mouth, perhaps you could match it a bit more to the scales?Right now from a distance it looks like another fang. Good job overall though( and sorry about the lengthy ramble)

gpepper: I love it so far, the nose/beak is perfect. Looking forward to updates!

anandpg: Long time no see!It's unfair that you have 3d AND 2d skills :) Looking great so far, curious to see what creature-y aspects you bring in.

gingerbreadman: Interesting choice of colours and I like the brow-nose area (very cactus-y, would be cool to incorporate if that wasn't already your intention). I do think you're losing out on the form while you concentrate on color though. Try the greyscale exercise (or just copy your image and desaturate it and work from there, don't have to restart) I think it would help. Currently there's no lighting( and shadows) and that makes the image appear flat. You look like you're having fun though, which I guess is one of the ideas behind the workshop :)

Kaidonni: Ooh snouts are tricky!Maybe an angle that is between the 3/4th and profile view would help? Don't be afraid to look at refs of animals to get the snout you want. I usually try and make the drawing look very creature-y before I start putting more human elements into it, it seems to be easier. I think the top two sketches are the best so far.

SpiritDreamer: Beauutiful work! The modeling of the nose/eyes is very nice! I'd probably add some curvature to the horns, make them a bit more graceful. The face is perfect though!

dkim1989: That painted version is scary(and it is 1:30 am here) All thouse mouths!Your drawings are very nice, I like the lower left of the second image a lot. I'd go with what Rebecca said about the face structure:)

Intervain: Perfect as always. Nothing to critique, everything to admire :D I'm looking forward to the snakes!

Rebecca: I already told you how much I love it :D Love the handling of the oils.I kinda want to see something far more creature-y though, much much wilder! I know you can do it( and frankly I am terrified already :D)

DaddyMack: The expression is sooooo Zen, I love it. The side view is a perfect fix of human and turtle.

jamihn: That expression is fantastic. I hope you find the time to color it.

More later, sleepytime now. Great work all!

jojo1975
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Well Firsdt of all I would like to say that this is my first try with a tablet :) Second that I will like to thank Rebecca for giving such great opportunity to learn.
As a total beginner I really value this chance of learning.
thre's my first WIP. This week will be hell at work but I hope to complete before next deadline.
But I wanted to ne "here and so I posted this WIP"
Suggestion are very wellcome :) and no question about where the ends are look at the Original ;)
http://www.giorgioluciano.net/CgTalk/Ritratto2.jpg

evmei7
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
- UNDER DEVELOPMENT -
1st rough tone sketch:
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt40/evmei7/final_stage01-2.png
There's some adjustments that need to be done on the actual drawing and I'm planning to look for some textures soon.

alenah
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
hi all,
so interesting to follow everybody´s progress!
good to see workshops like this running here ..

inspired by others, I decided to join too (though I have no idea when/if I´ll be able to ever finish my pic), here´s my try -

in this first stage I only very roughly sketched the possible idea (I myself do not know where this may go :) )
the proportions, values, highlights, expression etc. are just very roughly suggested so far (I may possibly change it as I go), will try to define it a bit more clearly in the next wip/stage ..
done in Painter, about 45 min
http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00_ofdw/IFW_self_alenah_wip01_post.jpg

http://www.ahdesign.cz/images/00_ofdw/alenah_making_of_test01.gif

about the "grading" idea -
it looks like a good idea to me - I only can´t imagine the "technical" side of it - I mean - how some general criteria could be applied to so much individual entries /approaches /intentions ..
I am trying to say - that - for example - "Edges" are ok for some kind of image, while in other type of images they are distracting/not correct; the same with color, imo .. if my English makes sense here;
but - it may be just me, I am not experienced art teacher, like you, Rebecca, so I do not know, maybe it may work just fine ..:)
a.

Kaidonni
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Kaidonni: Ooh snouts are tricky!Maybe an angle that is between the 3/4th and profile view would help? Don't be afraid to look at refs of animals to get the snout you want. I usually try and make the drawing look very creature-y before I start putting more human elements into it, it seems to be easier. I think the top two sketches are the best so far.

My reference of raccoons seems to be focused very much on frontal views, and the nose, when I do get 3/4 views, is rather tricky. I'm going with keep the rough shape of my nose, with it's beak-like front, and going from there, using some artistic license rather than keeping it purely raccoon-like.

killermachine
02-09-2009, 01:22 AM
well here is my update and for now, its final as i got my attention diverted to darkstalkers tribute (http://www.udonentertainment.com/darkstalkerstribute/) and i really want to do something in it before deadline appears..the rough look was intended if anyone is thinking about it..thnks for looking

wip-
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/wolf-bat6webcopy.jpg

final- not really complete from my point of view
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/wolf-bat6final.jpg

lets hav another workshop soon.these small workshops look more effective if done on regular level.

tc

Intervain
02-09-2009, 01:44 AM
great stuff guys

evmei7 - nice, I like the idea of that headpiece

alenah - great to see you join in :D

killermachine - that's awesome! Love the little glasses perched on his nose :)

Iridyse - thank you and wow, can't wait to see yours finished :)

Anand - great to see you in :D:buttrock:

well some fun with shading and more sculpting on the head... the snakes still need sculpting and a proper shader [that's why they're so white now]... Well next post will be the final I guess, once I'm done with all those little heads ;)

http://mdadela.com/ssp_director/albums/album-7/lg/4.jpg

NR43
02-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Such great entries everyone!!
I'm in a real hurry here so I'll comment as soon as I can (couldn't reply to the thread last night as the reply page wouldn't finish loading (wtf?!)

I won't be able to work on this more before wednesday evening (dammit) but I'd like to finish this piece anyhow. I'm hoping I will get some suggestions to add an additional light source (I was thinking from bottom right in a complementary color). I'm also wondering about the color palette... would love to widen it a bit more but no idea wich hues to add really...

EDIT: Wanted to add that the color is just a very preliminary color addition on a separate layer in colorize mode in Painter IX.5 (can anyone tell the difference between colorize and color mode in painter?)
I'm working in grayscale on this piece and occasionally turning the colorize layer above on and off to see if my values work.
http://users.telenet.be/nr43/images/cgtalk/workshops/IFW_001/IFW_001_045_resize.jpg

killermachine
02-09-2009, 05:40 AM
intervain-my work looks nthing in comparision to yours *faints*nr43- i think limited pallette and the current light source is good so far.it looks real sad emotionally so unless you want to change that look i'd suggest you stick with it.waiting for updates :thumbsup:

NR43
02-09-2009, 05:45 AM
A few comments:

Kaidonni I like nr 4 best
gingerbreadman your piece lacks form. I would follow Rebecca's suggestion to work in grayscale and then add a color layer. You can keep the color layer hidden to work on your values and then turn on the color layer to see how things work with hues added. That's the method I am using for my entry and I must say I'm learning heaps about hues, values and saturation!
gpepper lol you look funny :D
Iridyse Great to see you here! Some area's appear a bit flat, particulary the forehead and neck. But it's an early WIP so I'm sure you know :)
Mu Great work buddy! Nice to see the process in that GIF image
jojo1975 Heh great idea! The anatomy of the head needs a bit of work. I think you if you shift the eyes, nose and mouth but not the eyebrows a bit to the right it may help. Also, you can add a great 3D feel to your forms when hatching in the direction of the forms. Think edges instead of lines. Check out Rebecca's awesome hatching tutorial if you can. You'll find it in the tutorials forum.
evmei7 Looking really promising! Can't wait to see WIP 2!
alenah Oh great to see you! And what a promising start! I'm sure it will go through the usual evolution...
killermachine Great piece! Composition works really well imho! Would have loved seeing a tad more volume in the wings (just nitpicking ;) )
Intervain Oh my... Love the marble texture, Magdalena! Some of the snakes can use a few more polys here and there (2nd and 3rd from the bottom, the one next to your eyes).

If I missed anyone, I apologize, twas unintended :)

Rebeccak
02-09-2009, 06:46 AM
TheBeatnik2334, Boone, and Mu, ok, thanks for the feedback.

Iridyse, I'm not sure you need my crits ;) but sure I'd be happy to provide some. Thanks for the feedback on my work. :)

jojo1975, you're welcome. A couple of suggestions - try starting by filling the background with a mid gray to kill the white of the page - this will eliminate a good portion of your work as it accomplishes the midtone values in one go. Also, use a larger brush, there's no need to create each individual feather. The going wisdom in painting is to paint in your large shapes, followed by your medium, and then your small shapes. Also work dark to light - the gray background will help with that. There are some good digital painting tutorials here (http://www.freshdesigner.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=982).

evmei7, cheers for joining, welcome aboard. :) The WIP is looking good so far, just bear in mind to keep pushing this til it's polished, and to avoid pure black and pure white. Try as much as is possible to keep things in the mid gray range and only darken the shadows to a certain point and lighten the lights within a certain range. Try to convince us that this is 3D! Solid start.

alenah, too early to comment, good to see you in this though.

killermachine, not bad, I think you're beyond the image posting limit now, though. ;) It's okay but just bear that in mind for future Workshops. Greater value contrast in the wings will help, I think they're too light to really give a convincing reading of form. The background you could actually probably lighten in the darkest areas above the shoulders, then darken to contrast in the area behind the shoulders. The lights in other words are too light, and then could be capitalized better on with contrasting darks (eg, eliminate the line, and just use tone).

Magda, terrific piece, great to see where this is going!

NR43, pretty ambitious, I'd say to work on the gesture a bit - the lean of the head feels a bit stiff, as though he may have a sore neck or so. ;) However lots of cool possibilities with this one, but I'd still recommend working out the overall thing in b/w (experienced pros do this, to work purely in color is not actually advanced, it's more inefficient). ;) You could of course use some complementary colors to offset the blue/green of the piece - probably easiest accomplished with blending modes. Lots of possibilities with the fins, those I really like because of their fluidity and gesture, something I think the head and body currently lack. Good start and I hope to see your updates.

-R

jamihn
02-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Another vote for much butt kicking!

Here's me next update. Wanted to tone up the sketch a bit and start blocking in some lighting and general rendering. Still messing with monotones before I brave the color. I plan on doing some eyebrows and stuff when I get to adding in the hair, but I feel like saving hair for last (i fear the hairs!). Thursday is coming so quickly!

http://jamihn.com/wip/creatureSelfPortrait02.jpg

jojo1975
02-09-2009, 09:14 AM
thanks to all for the feedback I will try to fix everything and I will try to finish the peice even if out of the deadline.
I have a question for intervain. Is that a zbrush material ? I love that shader :) can we have soem more info ? ;)

NR43
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the crit Rebecca.
I do work in grayscale (the color layer is just to get an idea of the mood I'm after and to check if my values are working when adding color)
I definitely need to get more flow in the overall pose... THANKS!

gpeaslee
02-09-2009, 10:04 AM
George Peaslee here updating on some work in progress
The following are my initial rough sketches and stay tuned for the final!
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/SCANDTF2.jpg

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv120/dwaejeesaekee/SCANDTF1.jpg

Kaidonni
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I've already used up three of my four pics, and I've just started working in Photoshop. Not so much an ink as another possible pose. I'd share it, but, you know, three of four pics already used... Might have to stiffle some of that creativity swimming about within me. LOL.

Killermachine, I like your bat, especially the glasses. Wish mine were like those. :)

NR43, interesting concept you're going for there.

Jamihn, yep, Thursday is coming so quickly. But you don't have anything to worry about, your piece is coming along nicely.

gpepper
02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
4 pictures of wip is allowed, so here is my last...

http://gpepper.free.fr/figurative/autrucheman.jpg

I had fun modeling him so I think I will do a nice portrait of it probably rendered in Maya or max with nice hairs, a better pair of glasses and some cloths...
Nice to see all your work guys. I will follow the thread until the 12th of february...

Intervain
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Johan - wow love the colours! and Thanks :D yes the snakes haven't really been touched much yet...

Rebecca - thank you :)

jamihn - oh it's so cool - hope you don't bail out on that hair and make it splendid :wip:

jojo1975 - thanks, glad you like the shader. It's a mental ray SSS shader with just 1 map plugged into both diffuse and epidermal, I also adjusted the colours of the subdermal and backscatter to 2 different shades of off-white]

gpepper - really love the plans for this one - looking forward to that final render!

Rebeccak
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
4 pictures of wip is allowed, so here is my last...
I had fun modeling him so I think I will do a nice portrait of it probably rendered in Maya or max with nice hairs, a better pair of glasses and some cloths...
Nice to see all your work guys. I will follow the thread until the 12th of february...Hey gpepper, if you do a final render, feel free to post it.

Rebeccak
02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
George Peaslee here updating on some work in progress
The following are my initial rough sketches and stay tuned for the final!Hey George, great to see you joining in, welcome to CGTalk. :) The color scans look a lot better than my b/w photocopy scan of your work, so it's nice to see the difference. Keep going with this, and be sure to check out that artist I mentioned, Meats Meier (http://meats.cgsociety.org/gallery/39487/) for inspiration.

jamihn, hey I really like this update - the soft contrast is really working!

WyattHarris
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Intervain - Fantastic material, looks like real aged chiseled stone. Granted I'll have to look up how you described making it. :D

So HMC is over and I need to do some 2D work or I'll go crazy. So Rebecca are you talking about grading our work in the same manner as you would one of your classes? Count me in. :thumbsup:

The grading was mentioned earlier. Usually it's a numeric 100-0 grading system and then a letter grade is assigned to a range.

10 point scale
100-91=A
90-81=B
80-71=C
70-61=D
60-0=F

But whatever, grade it hard and fair and I'm cool with that.

Intervain
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Wyatt-Harris - thank you :) It's really a simple solution...btw the cavity effect is from an occlusion map baked into the diffuse :)

Mu
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
( and sorry about the lengthy ramble)

quite on the contrary - thanks for the details!

Johan - really love the mood. A warm color to oppose the main feeling would really make everything pop, I guess.

Womball
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I have been toying around with this idea. Although its hard to decide if I want to be a shark, jewfish or grouper. Also how can you make a fish have an exciting pose?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefZXdJBJbtMAuRyjzbkF/SIG=12b06pcqr/EXP=1234290135/**http%3A//www.thunderboltgames.com/reviews/dc/seaman_2.jpg

I like the idea of having my head on a fish body.

http://www.mejeme.com/dive/images/jewfish.jpg

That image just cracks me up. I could probably make that expression to. And it give me the chance to give me a butt chin.

stridiggio
02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Womball: sorry for the mistake.

WIP #3: adding more blur and darkness to the tentacles to get emphasis in the focus of the head. total is 85%

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/rissokoala/retratoalienmio5.jpg
EDIT: Detail Update.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/rissokoala/Imagen1-1.jpg

Womball
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I didn't design that seaman. That's from a really weird Sega game. But I like the concept a lot.

Intervain
02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
and it looks suspiciously like the fish from Monty Python's Meaning of Life btw :p

TheBeatnik2334
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Here is a complete redraw of mine. me plus a lion

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7496/beastselfportraitmr1.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beastselfportraitmr1.jpg)

I have to admit, im really having a rough time with this one. its to be expected though. I'm not that experienced at drawing animals, that on top of being new to painting proved to be a learning experience. its all good though, if nothing else, ill be able to look back on it eventually and use it as a reference point in my skill progression.

one question, I use the eye dropper tool to select values, then use the pen, set to opacity, and then stroke over to make a smooth gradation. am I doing things correctly? is it a matter of patience?

kary
02-10-2009, 04:34 AM
I took a shot at it with the 3dcoat trial tonight. Not getting a great brush feel from it so far, but it does do some things that are very neat (spline in a sculpting program, etc etc). I'll give it another subdivision tomorrow and see how it goes, but it's already a bit burly.

http://www.karyblack.com/wip/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/selfportraitasanimal1.jpg

Spider.

___

Great stuff happening here. Magda's is already looking great and it's still not polished :) Killermachine's is great as is... would nice to see a polished version, but that is already effectively communicating all it needs to. Nice result gpepper, pushing a bit more non-skin tone into the beak might have had it read clearer, but it's in a solid style and each element is very clear.

jamihn
02-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Kary - AH! So many eyes! Very creepy. I'd love to see more detail in the mandibles with hair and stuff.

TheBeatnik2334 - looks like you're getting some good values with your technique. Whatever works works!

stridiggio - I like the brighter focus on the face. It really brings out the personality of your octoface.

gpepper - Love it! I hear him speaking in a high nasal tone. So fun!

gpeaslee - Holy crap! These are great. I'd love to see any one of them worked up with more detail.

This is such a fun workshop. Lots of great stuff out there.

So I started throwing on some textures and blocking in more hair. No eyebrows yet, but I plan on making them right bushy!

http://jamihn.com/wip/creatureSelfPortrait03.jpg

j0j0y
02-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Edit: Mom didn't like me posting my pic... nor anything that would look remotely like me.

...*sigh*

mikkamakka
02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
i begun working on mine this weekend, today i decided to join. Now that i was browsing through the entrys I've noticed that Magdalenas and mine looks quite similar in the siluhette, thats totally unintended. I saw bbc planet earth last week, where a so called cordyceps attacks insects, kills them, and grows out of the corpse. The corpses of the insctes looked like whole new lifeforms, thats the main idea behind the picture.

here is a concept doodle:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8131/selfcreaturesketchthbnk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/selfcreaturesketchthbnk0.jpg/1/w313.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img6/selfcreaturesketchthbnk0.jpg/1/)

the self portrait:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6158/selfcreaturesketchwip02at7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/selfcreaturesketchwip02at7.jpg/1/w432.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img4/selfcreaturesketchwip02at7.jpg/1/)

and the first WIP:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5301/selfcreaturewip03lt5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/selfcreaturewip03lt5.jpg/1/w744.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img15/selfcreaturewip03lt5.jpg/1/)

cheers!

Rebeccak
02-10-2009, 07:41 AM
i begun working on mine this weekend, today i decided to join. mikkamakka, you know, that is just completely bizarre, because I was just browsing your gallery and was about to post your image (http://mikkamakka.cgsociety.org/gallery/400723/) as inspiration for this Workshop. It's great to have you aboard!

More replies soon!

mikkamakka
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
mikkamakka, you know, that is just completely bizarre, because I was just browsing your gallery and was about to post your image (http://mikkamakka.cgsociety.org/gallery/400723/) as inspiration for this Workshop. It's great to have you aboard!

More replies soon!

thank you Rebeccak, im really flattered :love:i used to try to join the workshops, but never managed to finish, i hope it'll be different this time :D.

Kaidonni
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
It turns out that one of my approaches in Photoshop, my main approach, isn't working out too well. So, I'm deciding to do a number of self-portraits by hand. On the smallish side, towards medium, and I might merge them into a gallery of the best images, showing the different approaches I have taken to my self-portrait. I might even add in one or two of the earlier roughs to demonstrate the evolution of my work. It's just that...my work by hand is so much better than what I can get out of Photoshop. I might do a rough inking over of one or two of them in Photoshop, in a sketchy fashion, complete with colour, but last night I spent time on some hand sketches, and one quicky, in 5 minutes, seemed to do a good job at capturing the essence I want. Plus I looked cuter than what I think I'll get in Photoshop. :)

jamihn
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow, all the ZBrush pieces are really inspired. Curses! Must learn another digital jutsu!