PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting views on what to use for realistic 3D animation: 3ds Max or May

rrw4rusty
01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi,

Hopefully I can get your help determiningÖ between 3D Max and Maya, which one will be better for my needs (and, if possible, why). Hopefully this is a question that can be answered and wonít start any user wars LOL. Hopefully the industry has reached a point where what I need is actually available (last time I looked, in the mid 90s, I would have been laughed out the door).

I will be making short (1-3 minutes) ultra-realistic 3D animation with realistic human characters, realistic sets and special effects (fire, smoke, water, etc.). Iíll need SSS, AO and radiosity. Iíd like cloth simulation good enough for clothes (if not complete outfits then a shirt or dress) and hair that works well enough for long flowing hair-dos now and then. Iíll need network rendering (my current render farm uses 8 high end PCs). Finally, LOL, Iíd like to avoid spending more money right away on 3rd party SW or plug-ins to accomplish these needs.

Iíd really appreciate any help I can get on this!

Cheers,
Rusty

musashidan
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
What software have you been using up to now?

KielFiggins
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Though those are lofty personal goals for a short, I believe Maya would be slightly more likely to help you. Used predominately in the film industry and effects houses, you should be able to find enough support online and so on to answer key questions when you reach them. Though there are amazing houses and individuals that use max and xsi, I believe maya would be a solid start.

Be forewarned though, maya's learning curve is pretty steep.

Also, though maya's cloth is solid, you may need to look into 3rd party (Syflex) for sheer sanity sake. As 3rd party programs typically allow more control then packaged ones. Also, realflow for fluid.

Finally, since your having characters, I would try to avoid Character Studio (built into Max). Though it does gives you a character base rig very quickly, animating that rig can be combersome if your not used to the workflow.

My two cents, good luck.

rrw4rusty
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
What software have you been using up to now?

Sorry if it has taken a long time to reply -- down with flu. My hobby years 1992-1999 trueSpace. School years 99-02 XSI. R&D years 02-present Animation Master.

Rusty

rrw4rusty
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Though those are lofty personal goals for a short<snip>
LOL, I'm full of lofty goals. I should have said 'shorts'. I had an idea 10 years ago (see site in signiture)... been working towards it since (I'm retired and comfortable so nothing better to do).

Be forewarned though, maya's learning curve is pretty steep.
I don't mind but my wife wants to start helping. Worse then XSI or Max?

Also, though maya's cloth is solid, you may need to look into 3rd party (Syflex) for sheer sanity sake. As 3rd party programs typically allow more control then packaged ones. Also, realflow for fluid.
I will try to avoid cloth anyway. What do you know of Max's cloth?

Finally, since your having characters, I would try to avoid Character Studio (built into Max). Though it does gives you a character base rig very quickly, animating that rig can be combersome if your not used to the workflow.
I was kind of counting on Character Studio. I've been building my own from scratch (see site) but everything I've done so far needs to be better.

Thanks for info!
Rusty

CGTalk Moderation
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.