PDA

View Full Version : Animation : Run Cycle

aazimkhan
06-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Hello again,

I posted my old run cycle whihc were really bad in thw WIP forum, but didnt get much response. Anways I took a break from the animation buidling a stadium model whihc i thought i oculd use with my soccer animation.

So i am back to the animation now.

RUN CYCLE : url removed. check below.

I spend a few days off the computer learning, researching RUNs etc...thanks alot to the book ANIMAION SURVIVAL KIT, very helpful.

Now i know how small animation detials help.

Please let me know how it looks.

Although software doesnt matter for animation:
SOFTIMAGE | XSI

koinu
06-28-2003, 12:48 AM
aazimkhan: at first glance I couldn't really see the animation because it's fast and short. If you get the chance to add some time to it then we'll be able to give you more crits on it. From what I saw, your animation is real nice, couldn't see if the shoulders where moving correctly. The skin looks to be right though and the legs movement looks fine also. Render it with more time and we shall be able to give you more input...:thumbsup:

modi
06-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Great start.

Watch the silhoutte of the right arm.
Upper body looks very stiff, add more rotation in the spine.
The hips seem to have only one rotation. use all 3 rotations to sell the weight.
The legs could be a lot more straight before he lands on the ground.
Hard to tell from this view but his root seems to be going just up and down and not forward.
Hope that helps. Cheers.

aazimkhan
06-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Ok here are a few changes.

and 3 angles for better view.

SIDE *Updated june27
www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/side.avi (http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/side.avi)

FRONT *Updated june27
www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/front.avi (http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/front.avi)

3/4TH *Updated june27
www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/3_4th.avi (http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/3_4th.avi)

Updated after last reply by Wbate

wbate
06-28-2003, 02:18 AM
There is a lot that is right, onthing that strikes me is the lack of spine rotation forward and back or compression in the spine, maybe a bit of squash and stretch would help ease the stiffness.

MosaFacku
06-28-2003, 02:56 AM
here's a couple notes for you.

he's leaning unnaturally forward. his pelvis looks like its aimed almost straight up, then it looks like you've started rotating him forward right at his first spine joint. for me, he's leaning waaay too far. next, it looks like he's translating up and down starting around the clavicles / bottom of the neck. it makes it look really wierd. i'd say get rid of that. if you want to show bounciness, do it in the hips, thats where it happens in real life. your spine does stretch and compress in real life, but its usually hardly noticeable. next, the head is rotating forward too much. moving on, the arms don't really have any follow through to them. they hit their extreme position, then BOOM, quickly onto next extreme. you should really have them flow a little more, have them linger at their extremes a little bit. also, in they're not cycling very clean, so giving them more follow through can definately help that out. next, the legs look like they're hyper extending right before they hit the gound. basically, its like you've stretched out the IK too much and you're getting IK pop. in my opinion, i'd say fix that. some people like that look, but to me its painful.

for reference, watch some olympic videos or something. it looks like you're going for a very formal type of run and normally, they're standing almost straight up while they run. make some revisions and pose more :)

hope that helps.

[edit] one more thing, it kind of looks like your pelvis is translating forward and backward. in a run cycle, it shouldn't do that. [edit]

koinu
06-29-2003, 02:06 AM
I was going to reply BUT,MosaFacku covered teh things I was going to say.. WOW ain't it great when great minds think alike...... Keep up the great work... you employed????

PaxtonGerrish
06-29-2003, 05:27 AM
i think your main problem is that his body is falling untill frame 4 then doesnt start its asscent untill about frame 9. make sure that as soon as it hits its lowest point it starts translating back up instead of lingering it looks unnatural. also id lose the forward back motion as was said already

hmmmmm looks to me like he strides are to big for how fast hes running hes only going the speed of a swift jog, yet his legs are stretched like hes sprinting, and his torso is leaning to far forward

and it looks like his upper torso is compressing or something.. was that said already..?

as for his arms .. agreed about holding a few frames in the extreme positions for sure, more importantly id get some new positions.. go for a jog and really look at what your arms are doing. heh heh its an excuse to get out of the office i do it about a dozen times a day.. oh and theres some popping going on in his left arm.

theres my 2 cents hope it helps some

PaxtonGerrish
06-29-2003, 05:32 AM
oh and heres some great reference material.. if you dont mind looking at old peoples buts.. lol

http://www.reelfx.com/muybridge/index.htm

aazimkhan
06-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks a lot everybody, these crtiques are definetly helping!.

Changes I made:
Removed upper spine stretch.
Added subtle upper spine rotation.
COG up/down movment made continuous, no holds.
Legs steps made smaller.
IK pops removed.
Arm secondary action added.
HIP oriented according to body rotation.

About the arms, since its only a 23 frame loop. Theres not much time to hold the arms, I did hold them here for 4 frames, I tried holding them longer but then it doesnt give me enough frames to go back smoothly.

I have left him still bent forward , coz to me it wasnt looking as if he was running in a more upright pos.

As for the arms pos, I really dont know, each time i try a differny pose it looks better. The arm movent differ from person to person.

Heres a side shot.
www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/loop_side.avi (http://www.aazim.odhn.com/temp/loop_side.avi)
Please ignore the weirdness in the neck, it seems to have got twisted due to some contraints.

Please have a look, and let me know if its better.

Thanks a lot, this new forum is awesome, well not without you guys :D

MosaFacku
06-30-2003, 02:19 AM
looks better. here's some more crits:

the arms are hitting their extremes exactly when the feet hit their extremes, play with the arm's keys and shift them over a few frames. if you've got your curves cycling, then it should look alright when you offset them. the legs look better, but i think they're still a little awkward. same thing goes with his posture. to me, it looks really wierd... i'd say step away from the computer, and go watch someone run. if that doesn't do it for ya, download some reference material. keep at it. :)

PaxtonGerrish
06-30-2003, 03:27 AM
Regarding arm positions..
avoid having them extend into strait positions, your loosing all the tention and energy he should have in his arms.. check out the muybrige reference i gave you, and notice that the arms would rarely go into a strait down position like you have.. well.. unless it was an incredibly lazy, tired or drunk jogger..

also regarding the back tilt..
its still looking a little odd.. but i can see what you mean that it wouldnt look like he was running if it werent tilted..

on second glance i think perhaps your main problem is that his root translation is too far back.. move it forward.. (or the feet back)
As it is, youv done a very good job of having his weight supported by one foot or the other, however you should probably think of it as more of a controlled fall.. , so he should actually be falling forward and catching himself with the next step.. make sence?

hmm on third glance im not sure thats it.. lol.. but try it.. il take a look again in a bit..:hmm:

koinu
06-30-2003, 03:41 PM
AAZ,
While looking at this guy I had to laugh, he looks WAY too stiff in his back as if he has had his bones frused together. For a run, well the knees come higher in the air, not like yours. You've got him looking as if he's falling forward and speeding up his step to not fall over.. Let me watch it again...brb.. Thearm swing is nice and mechanical, not very human like, and it looks as if the player is being forced to cross his chest.. YES, run over to the local Football field and watch some running going on or have someone you know run thru your streets and watch them. Your really putting alot into this animation Keeep It Up..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aazimkhan
07-02-2003, 06:06 AM
Boy.... :blush: realistic animation sure is hard.

NOW. I dont understand what kind of spine movement you are talking about. I dont see much movement happening in the lower spine, specially with a person having a T-shirt on.

Again the ARMS, I noticed differnt people running with difernt arm poses. YES i do understand that arms never reach straicght position with running, also keeping in mind to off-sync arm/leg timing.

Anyways thanks again for the feedback., I`ll stay away from the run for a while, I have to animate other soccer moves too, action and acting stuff.

right now working on a walk cycle.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.