PDA

View Full Version : A story within us all...

LiveFlash
06-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Hello All,

Theres a story I've wanted to tell.. it's been bouncing around and brewing in my head for 3 years now, but I have still not put pen to paper as I fear it may end up being rubbish!

This story I speak of will eventually be a short movie, probably in many parts like episodes. I always Intended it to be a visual story rather than written story.

At first, the film was going to be fully made in Macromedia Flash, but I soon realised that If i was truly serious about making a quality film - Flash will NOT cut it!

So I looked around for over a year at litterally every graphics APP that would be perfect, at first my mind was set on Max as a have a friend who uses it, then I was set on Maya for the longest time, but then one day I stubled upon newtek's website for LightWave and read every last article and Artists Interview.. and soon after visiting www.Studioartfx.com I was sold - My story could finally be done by ME - a one man team.

All I needed was time, patience and dedication.. Anyway, before I ramble on any longer.. I just wanted to ask.. any advice? :)

Cheers!

Cman
06-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LiveFlash
Hello All,

Theres a story I've wanted to tell.. it's been bouncing around and brewing in my head for 3 years now, but I have still not put pen to paper....

Before you do anything else... put pen to paper.

Rei Ayanami
06-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Cman
Before you do anything else... put pen to paper.

join the technology revoultion.

put hands to keyboard.

gruvsyco
06-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Rei Ayanami
join the technology revoultion.

put hands to keyboard.

I agree more with the pen to paper idea.

For me at least, it seems easier to jot ideas down in a notebook. I can also take the notebook anywhere and add ideas as they come to me.

Liveflash:

One thing I've been learning is, whether the story sux or not, write it down somewhere. It may never become the story you want it to be now but, you can always salvage ideas from it at a later date for another story.

Zarathustra
06-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Say goodbye to friends, family, significant other, etc. You're now married to your movie and to make a cg, one-man feature you need TIME. LOT'S OF TIME.

Good luck. Post updates here as you progress.

sensai2nd
06-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Pen to paper or hands to keyboard . . . either way its really a good idea to flesh out your story . . . stories inevitably change from concept to finished product . . .

aurora
06-27-2003, 09:59 PM
I hear you. I have a story I have been tinkering with over 8 years. What I like to do is keep a journal of sorts where I keep writting down my ideas, story ideas, character sketch's (both verbal and drawn), maps, ect ala Tolkien I guess. As of yet I have not really written a full story nor a script for a short. I also have a electronic version I keep in a special partition on a hard drive where I keep more info, a few objects/scenes, SFX setups I would/will need, ect. My problem with it is that it is a story that is very close/special to me and like you I don't want to do anything to screw it up. You know like redoing Battlestar Gallatica without G.A. Larsons religous mythros driving it. Someday, someday.
I wish you luck and agree with others start with paper and pen and at least jot down your ideas. I have found it helps organizing things, cleaning story lines and buidling larger more illustrative worlds. I wish you the best.

sensai2nd
06-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I don't want to screw it up.

That's what the rewrite is for . . .

LiveFlash
06-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Hey guys,

Right now, I have bits of paper (anything that i can find when I get a flash of idaes) that are in a folder and I know for 100% that LightWave is my weapon of choice with other 3rd party apps as well.. but thats not as important as getting the story down first and start storyboarding etc.

Anyway, I dont know SQUAT about 3D of LightWave - What that basically means is, that i'm a "Newbie" (god, I hate that word), but I am a quick learner and I really want to get this done - but iot needs to be a quailty job!

So I'll need to learn LightWave as best as I can and probably hold the project until I get better :blush:

Any tips?

Rei Ayanami
06-27-2003, 10:33 PM
get inside LW 7 by Dan Alban for a good book for n00b's (that the proper spellin).

dont worry, the LW community is very supportive but remember to read the fantastic manual before asking questions.

most of all, have fun making it.

LiveFlash
06-27-2003, 10:37 PM
I have already bought "Inside Lightwave 7" by Dan Alban :) It came a few weeks ago and I have read it and tried to follow it, but it assumes that you know the basic's already - BUT I DONT! :D

I mean, when they talk about certain options and buttons, I have no idea what the book is on about and I hate reading the PDF manual off the computer screen :(

nBT
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
yeah i just started my second and i can tell you. you definitly need a story and sketches first. there will be so many thinks that you have to worry about. having a story and scketches is a haven, if you dont know how to model/texture/light anything look at your sketches.
and another advice: start with little anims.

and the thing about it taking MONTHS. its true.

nBT

timsvw
06-28-2003, 01:32 AM
Try Spline Gods character cource. I had worked in Maya and then switched to lightwave when i started to work for a new company. His cdroms were a great help.

Tim

Nemoid
06-28-2003, 06:09 PM
well. i think doing an entire project is very hard for a beginner,

but its not impossible.

first of all, write down your story, but pay attention to one thing. with less, u can tell many things. that's not a limit its a strong point .
u will see u will have to cut many things at the end of your writing process, simply because they are unuseful.

there is an interesting book about that. its about comics, but also talks about what an artist have to do to become a good storyteller. its called Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud.

so, u will have to write down, and sketch, and do blueprints and templates and storyboards 4 your work, and this is an hard job.
but doing this saves your CG work time

once u did that, u will have the possibility to model and texture and render only what u know will be seen in your images. so no waste of time, and work. Cg work have to be creative as well, giving life to your images. but the more u planned, the less work it will require to be transferred in 3D

in the mean time u prepare your work in paper u can take some course and read books and do tutorials etc to learn Lw in the best way u can. then, will be your project to make u learn the rest.:)

EvilE
06-28-2003, 06:53 PM
The DVDs made by Desktop Images are really good for absolute beginners since they explain every button and stuff.

... and i have mine to sell ( i already had some peeps interested in them but they all lived outside of the eu so i didnt get it managed and still have the DVDs )

EE

anobrin
06-28-2003, 10:37 PM
There are so Many adandoned desktop 3D/2D Film projects
laying by the roadside it would amaze you.
as other have advised have a prepared story typed or wriiten
and before you even think of creating a single polygon
CREATE STORYBOARDS and learn to use your scene cameras properly
as well as your 3d program lighting system
and become VERY familiar with a nonlinear film editor for post.
think in terms of short "takes"
When you start the 3D portion of the project do alot of
untextured previsulalization renders BEFORE Committing
to full on renders
and be prepared to enlist the help of dedicated friends or loved ones for voice work
unless you plan to make a silent film.
I could go on and on but you get the point

(My abandoned file project in Cinema4DXL):blush:

http://66.70.166.29/promo/roughcut2.wmv

Brett H.
06-29-2003, 12:55 AM
That's really quite nice, anobrin. I'm surprised you abandoned it. You seem well on your way. Makes a decent showreel if nothing else.

Brett

ChrisBasken
06-29-2003, 03:32 AM
anobrin, is that 2112 story at all based on the Rush album by the same name? It appears to have a similar theme...

anobrin
06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ChrisBasken
anobrin, is that 2112 story at all based on the Rush album by the same name? It appears to have a similar theme...

VERY astute observation my friend :beer:
in fact it is!!
I abandoned it for a variety of reasons
for one i was unemployed when i started the project
and had ALOT or free time then i went back to work
and suddenly got bit by the modeling bug and decided to become a better modelor.
so I plan to return to the "2112"story soon with upgraded skills.

ChrisBasken
06-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Sweet! If it helps at all, you've got a pre-sold audience member right here.
:buttrock:

I've been daydreaming about a "Freewill" movie for a while now, involving a toy store and a rebellious little puppet, but I never seem to have the time...

grafikdon
06-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Hey flash, a storyboard and script will limit the amount of unwanted scenes, shots and a lot of curses@!##@! if you know what I mean. You can even combine script storyboard since it is a one- man project. The storyboard doesn't have to be detailed...what the heck...you can even use stick figures as long as you can identify your characters and map out angles and views to your taste. I will advise you not to jump into modeling or animation until you have a complete storyboard/script tailored to your taste. I know this is a big temptation to resist especially when LW is involved but try and you'd be glad you did.
Good luck pal.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.