PDA

View Full Version : Match all transforms to a reference plane.

bmwolf
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Often times when modeling I'll need to duplicate something in a circle around a plane in equal distances. Basically a circular array. Now this is no problem when the plane is flat xy, yz, xz; just "duplicate multiple" and adjust the axis of rotation transform to say, "360/42". Easy! Now I have 43 objects evenly spaced/rotated in a circle.

The problem I'm having is when the center is not rotated the same as the plane I need to duplicate on. You can no longer duplicate multiple with additive rotation. I can get around this by picking a reference plane then opening it's properties and copying all the rotation and position coordinates to the corresponding "center" transform for the object I want to pivot/rotate. This is a huge pain in the ass!

Please someone tell me there is an easier way to do this. All I basically want is a "match all transforms to reference plane" button. This would also help when extracting polygons from a mesh. The new extracted mesh just ignores it's former parents transforms and returns the center to 0,0,0 with 0,0,0 rotation.

I should also say that this is really only a problem for me when trying to duplicate multiple objects. Otherwise "ref" and "plane" modes work just fine.

God I hope I'm making some kind of sense.

grahamef
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Duplicate + transform your objects around the origin, then make all the objects the children of a null or anything else.

Now activate Ref mode with the desired ref plane and zero out the null's transform on the MCP.

bmwolf
01-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Thank you Grahame. I'm not in front of XSI right now, but I'll give it a shot later tonight. Sounds like it'll work a treat.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.