PDA

View Full Version : character rigging

gabby
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
This is my character for animated short. The doctor never gets up and uses his chair as a transport to move around. I'll never need him in the stadning position.

And the question is :
Is it better to model and rig him in seated position? or is it better to model and rig this character in traditional way ( standing position) ?

http://www.gabiart.com/colin/web.jpg

archanex
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
personally I'd model him sitting as long as you're sure he'll never need to stand up

scroll-lock
01-28-2009, 08:57 AM
yes.. you must be sure that he won't stand up. But as i have been involved in quite a lot of productions, nobody is sure for such a things :) I see that it's for animated short you are making but even on such scales the things can change. Well if everything is nailed down I would say yes- rig it in that position (because of the belly deformations primarily) , also the rig must involve the chair obviously and for that reason too it will be easier to model it that way.

MolemanSD7
01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
You could rig the torso in that position, but I'd still keep the legs and such in a straighter fashion. Even if he's sitting, as an animator, I would want to know I can kick his legs, pull his body around, make him bounce in the chair if needed, etc. Don't think of him as being pinned down, but rather that the chair is his little island that he has to stay on. I don't know where the short is going, but don't limit the animators...allow for him to hop up on his chair like (and i know this is an overtly stereotypical cliché) a woman who's seen a mouse, or use it to reach an upper cupboard that's normally too high for him.
So, I'm always for rigging him as you would any character, and then posing him. Who knows if the way you pose him sitting in the chair is what the animator would want. As a rigger, you give functionality, and the animators give the personality. Try not to limit them.

archanex
01-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Just remember Gabby, that you can get to your end result modeling him either sitting or standing. Each way of modeling will present different challenges obviously, but a good rigger can rig a character from ANY pose. I think moleman makes a very good point about not limiting the animator. As a general rule, I think it's best to model a character somewhere in the middle of his range of movement.

gabby
01-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all advice. I'll have to think it throuhg. With this character (because of his enormous body size and the fact that he is so fat) my biggest worry was to get his belly defornation right.
And for that reason I thought that it would be easier to model and rig him in seated position.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2009, 09:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.