PDA

View Full Version : Bending

Rei Ayanami
06-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Sorry about the title

For the next few (5+) models I am working on, they are all helicopters. Does anyone have any idea how to make the rotors bend up and down? I thought of bones and a null, but i have no idea how to make this work in practice.

thnx for any ideas...

Cman
06-27-2003, 07:40 PM
How about just making morphs?
You can easily animate the bend.

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 07:47 PM
When you say "bend," do you mean a slight wobble found when the blades begin to spin? Or are you talking about a more extreme bend?

Rei Ayanami
06-27-2003, 07:50 PM
i mean the shear as the helos pull off stupid dives etc, and when they are at rest.

i need to change the ammount on the fly as i animate (wow pad pun there), can mophs do that. plus my helo and the KA-50 have duel rotors which need to bend together and separatly.

zuzzabuzz
06-27-2003, 08:02 PM
This guy(Richard Brak) is very clever with the expressions and such. have a look at the tutorial (especially the rotor droop section) , see if it helps. I keep meaning to follow all of them. Someday.

http://www.richardbrak.net/tutorials/copter/

EvilE
Use Bezier Bend its easy to setup and very nice to animate :)

http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/plugin-page.html#BezierBend

EE

Steve Warner
I'm going to go with Cman on this one. Endomorphs seem like the way to go. You can set up the changes in Modeler, then use the MorphMixer in Layout to blend between them with simple sliders.

If you need more control, then I would set up bones. But you probably don't need to for the type of thing you're talking about.

EDIT

I take it all back. Richard Brak's copter tutorial is the way to go! Thanks for the great link. :wavey:

Chagidiel
06-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Aww... that was too embarressing... I take it all back (I even removed it)... Go with that great coptertut ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.