PDA

View Full Version : 3D Workflow Tut's for DFX+

Jayk2k
06-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey gang, just trying to scope the feasibility of my doing some tutorials on 3D workflow between your 3D app of choice, and DFX+.

For those of you new to DFX+ (or Digital Fusion for that matter) I have written a number of tutorials when I was with eyeon Software, which can be found on their web site. I was also responsible for writing a majority of the courseware materials that ship with the DF/DFX+ products.

The idea would be a CD shipped to you with a number (to be determined) of tutorials, accompanying flows, 3D projects, footage, etc. Eventually this could lead to themed CD's. Motion Graphics, Text+, Particles, etc.

Just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle of setting up a separate web site, payment options, and shipping, etc. If I get enough calls for this, I will do it, and it opens up the possibility of more tutorials later.

policarpo
06-27-2003, 08:25 PM
I for 1 am all for it. Be sure to post the question in the LW forum, or at least point them here, since there are soon to be quite a few new proud owners of DFX+.

If it's worth anything, I'd really like to see some tutorials that get into the art and use of RPF, Depth Maps, and this sort of post work compositing. You know, all the stuff you could do in 3D that takes forever to render, but can be done so much more quickly in DF.

I'm not sure what 3D app you use, but if you had a focus on LW, i'd be all for it. :)

Thanks again for doing this! You can always do what some others have done, and sell the CD's at a discount for the first week, and then increase it by $10 or $15 thereafter.

Now come on people...let's get behind this man and give him some support!:beer:

Also, I asked http://www.cgfocus.com to post a blurb about your need for feedback. I hope you don't mind...i just love DF and coming from you, this is news worthy!!

Flywaver
06-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey Jayk2k,

That's a great idea! :beer:

Let's hear some more about this! :cool:

Cheers!

KillMe
06-27-2003, 08:51 PM
as one of the soon to be proud new owners of dfx+ i'd defaintly liek to see somethign liek this

as i have never done any compositing before so will probally need all the help i can get

policarpo
06-27-2003, 08:56 PM
KillMe...congrats on getting DFX+!!!

The courseware that ships with DFX+ and the accompanying DVD are really good and will get you up to speed in no time.

I really hope Jason decides to take this on, and continue with some great tutorials that take off where the courseware left off.

I'm all for it and will scream it from the mountaintops to get eyeballs here looking to convince Jason that doing the CD tutorials is a good idea. :)

Heck man...maybe you can make enough cash off of these to plan a trip to Greece, or Hawaii, or some other cool place....or just buy more seats of DF. :thumbsup:

Jayk2k
06-27-2003, 09:03 PM
So what would you guys be willing to pay for something like this? If the avg. CD had say 5-8 tutorials, footage, and related materials.

policarpo
06-27-2003, 09:09 PM
$25 to $30 a piece? for maybe the first 2 weeks when they are out, then you could raise it to $49.95 for each set thereafter.

a lot of the price hinges on the quality of the work in the tutorials.

I think it will also be important to offer some small samples of the tutorials online so we can get a feel for what the overall CD will be like.

Look at www.dvgarage.com to see what i mean.

I know Alex charges around $99 for each of his sets, but they contain on average around 11 tutorials and assets on each CD.

ghopper
06-27-2003, 09:57 PM
put me on your list as well - I will probably preorder the LW8 upgrade ;)

Zarathustra
06-27-2003, 10:12 PM
I would like advice on how to sell the DFX+ that comes with the LW upgrade.
I have no idea how to go about it.

policarpo
06-27-2003, 10:16 PM
just go to ebay and do so, there are instructions there on how to sell goods you have for sale. or start another thread in the DF forum...

but what does this have to do with Jason's request for feedback on doing tutorials? let's stay on topic please. :)

KillMe
06-27-2003, 10:27 PM
$25-50 would seem fair enough to me - i dont know exactl what ships with the dfx+ thats comes in the lw offer soi might not ge the dvd so might need tutorials to get me upto speed would also like to see how itworks with lw since hehe now i will have my very own seat of lw and dfx and i got a dv camcorder well i'm only short of actors before i make my very own film heheh =)

Zarathustra
06-27-2003, 10:34 PM
...or start another thread in the DF forum...

Fair enough.

I'm currently trying Ebay, but there's no takers.

btw - My question does pertain to something I'm trying to do with the app, so it's OT.

Thanks again. I'll leave you fellas alone.

Whelkn
06-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Im game for this as well. How about a book to :)

Jayk2k
06-27-2003, 11:51 PM
Well if you order the lightwave upgrade with DFX+, it'll come with the courseware book that I helped write as it is.

Above and beyond that I've been thinking it over for a while now. I'm still amazed that there are no real compositing technique books out there. A lot of theory and math, but not too many techniques.

Maybe once i'm done my contract here, I can get to work on it.

pblacklock
06-28-2003, 01:25 AM
hello zarathustha,

don't sell your dfx+, with a cheap pc, you could use it to create a separate comp and fx machine. i mean the price of a dell is dirt cheap now. if you really don't want it, i"ll give $100 for it.

put me in for those fusion tutorials, that sounds like a great idea.

alias
06-28-2003, 02:59 AM
hey Jayk,

Its Paul Moran here from VFXTalk.com :)

I didnt realise that you had left eyeon :( ...when did all that happen ... ? i wondered why i hadnt received any tutorials latley ;)

I reckon this idea of your is VERY worthy!! At the end of the day, tutorials are the foundation of learning!! I would be very keen to get my hands on these puppies...

remember we have a completely online system for tutorial creation on our site, so if you ever have the inkling to do more, you can author some directly on the site (shameless plug :P)

Let me know if theres anything we can do over at VFXTalk to increase your publicity at all :)

Cheers mate

Paul

Jayk2k
06-28-2003, 03:08 AM
Hey Paul.

Yeah, there was need of my skills here in BC for a feature film, and so I left eyeon about 3 months ago.

As far as an update to the rest of y'all, I've since been contacted about a DF book! (Thanx Policarpo!)

I still feel there will be a need for 3D workspace tutorials in the very near future, so at the very least this I think will be done somehow. (All these lightwave guys coming out of the wood work.) Anything above and beyond that may end up exclusive to the book.

So as the details get hammered out, I'll keep you all updated.

alias
06-28-2003, 03:11 AM
a book!!! mmmm :) ...you'll be the 'Jack Pfieffer' of the DF world LOL

Pioneer the first 3rd party DF book ...top-notch!!!

Keep me posted on how this pans out!

Cheers mate, keep in touch

Paul

policarpo
06-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Jayk2k
Hey Paul.

(All these lightwave guys coming out of the wood work.) Anything above and beyond that may end up exclusive to the book.

So as the details get hammered out, I'll keep you all updated.

well as ya know...or may not...my last name is Wood. :love:

DO IT MY MAN!!!!!!:buttrock:

m.d.
06-28-2003, 07:04 AM
the cd's sound cool.. i'd be willing to pay.

Limbus
06-28-2003, 12:26 PM
If you can ship to Europe or make it available online I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Florian

comanche
06-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Limbus
If you can ship to Europe or make it available online I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

Florian

Yes, yes yes! Me too!

Please go for it, Jason.

Cheers,
Andreas

yog
07-01-2003, 05:52 PM
As one of those "Lightwave guys coming out of the woodwork" :cool: , I'm up for it.

I've got a couple compositing books, but as you say they are more general theory and maths, and neither touches on the inclusion of 3D work, so anything aimed specifically at the 3D market would be a real winner :thumbsup:

Jayk2k
07-27-2003, 04:23 AM
Ok guys, I've got some more work done on these, but I doubt I'll have much time to get things to the level I want till at least mid August.

In the meantime, I'll post the basic outline that I have, and if you have any comments, and/or questions that you want to have added, let me know. *This is all subject to change*

Tutorial projects: Taking a 3D scene and adding storm effects.

1) Using object/material channels as masks
a. Glowing neon
b. Change neon colour
2) Changing the map on the billboard
a. Texture tool
3) Adding Depth of Field
a. Depth Blur
b. Using an external z-buffer image
c. Techniques for faking z depth
4) Adding Fog
a. Fog tool
5) Adding Particle Rain
a. Depth Merge
6) Relighting scene to simulate lightning.
a. Shader tool
7) Combining individual element layers.
a. PSD Import
b. DF Script
8) Velocity blur via krokodove

On the Disk:

1) PDF versions of the above tutorials
2) HTML versions of the above tutorials
3) A sequence of RPF files to use in the above tutorials
4) Flows for each of the above tutorials, fully commented
5) Tool presets for particle rain, text animation etc.
6) A number of preset DF flows for combining layered elements

marchermann
07-31-2003, 11:13 PM
Having continous project to learn different aspects of compositing is a good idea. Those who got the Lightwave deal (like me) will have to do without particles and scripting, though :(

Personally, I would also be interested in integrating 3D objects into live footage (fixed camera, no match-moving). Things like matching the looks of the two sources, the colours, the lighting etc.

Cheers,
Marc

yog
08-01-2003, 12:50 AM
I'd agree with Marcboy, having a section how to blend 3D elements with live footage (colour balancing, grain, saturation) would be very useful.

Also how to create spec bloom (hotspot ?) from just the spec channel would be great. Possibly using expressions to keep the hotspot to areas of greater spec values would also be cool.

Looking forward to this enormously :thumbsup:
Any thoughts on price yet ?

Robert Zeltsch
08-01-2003, 04:19 PM
I`m an european user and Im interested in this "tutorial box" too.

But Im still waiting for DFX+ and want to check it out at first before I decide if I need further tutorials or not. (I have some experience with compositing systems)

For all the newcomers in this sector this could be a great deal!
:thumbsup:

devin
08-05-2003, 09:17 PM
As another new LW/DFX+ user, I'd be interested.

Susurrus
08-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Add me to the list!

Just got my DFX+ (LW Bundle rox!) and have finished nearly half of the courseware, and I will be looking for more. Digital Fusion is a fantastic program, and I need to get up to speed now!

Bring on the Tutorials:buttrock:

Keith

yog
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM
BTTT ?

telamon
12-07-2003, 06:06 PM
add me to the list of European people who are interested.

ghopper
12-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Another European interested in DF tutorials as well :)

Jayk2k
12-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey guys, just a bit of an update. Still putting time in on this when I can, but recently started on a new feature film, and may be picking up a few classes instructing at the local college. Time is getting rare. If I don't get as far as I'd like over the holidays, I may just post them as-is as a work in progress, and then worry about the polishing later. (or the second half for that matter)

TRick
12-08-2003, 11:25 AM
...Tutorial projects: Taking a 3D scene and adding storm effects.

1) Using object/material channels as masks......

Cool idea !!!

But each LW-rendernode assigns random Object and Material ID's. Hope this will be fixed soon !!!!

yog
12-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, just a bit of an update. Still putting time in on this when I can, but recently started on a new feature film, and may be picking up a few classes instructing at the local college. Time is getting rare. If I don't get as far as I'd like over the holidays, I may just post them as-is as a work in progress, and then worry about the polishing later. (or the second half for that matter)

Cool :)
I was hoping it was because you were busy (can't fault you there :thumbsup: ), rather than a lack of potential interested customers.

Because this way it means there is still hope :bounce:

Wizdoc
04-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Sounds interesting.

I'm most intrigued about how motion data is handled between different applications. Is it possible to directly get DF tracker data from/to 3D applications cameras such as 3D Max, what should be taken into consideration when wanting to get tracker data to 3D (e.g. creating tracker objects into the 3D scene), stuff like that.

ghopper
05-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi Jason,

any news regarding your tutorials for DF ?

I'm still interested and I'm sure a lot of others as are as well ;)

Jayk2k
05-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Hey Ghopper...

I'm mid project for Resident Evil: Apocalypse right now, trying to get shots out for the trailer, and finals after that. On top of all that, I have been teaching the last few months. Not a lot of spare time at the moment. Don't worry though, the second I am done here I'll be back on them and getting them posted.

m.d.
05-31-2004, 07:09 AM
still interested.....just waiting:thumbsup:

ClingFree
06-01-2004, 02:58 AM
I'd love to see this too. I am just pulling DFX+ out of the box for the first time.

duderender
06-11-2004, 08:18 AM
just posting so i can stay updated.

one set of tutorials i'd like to see is using rla/rpf format images and using depth information.

LW outputs a weak rla/rpf and needs tweaking. i'd like to see how a recommended method exists to work around this deficiency.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.