PDA

View Full Version : A concern about Ringling and their Computer Animation

tikitariki
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I read online in another forum that Ringling's Computer Animation department is heavily focused on character animation. I want to learn more well-rounded, such as modeling and lighting, etc. Was the post I read an exaggeration or will I be really spending most of my time just doing character animation? Input, feedback, comments; all welcome. For all I know, animation maybe needs that much time to master; if so, I'm fine with it.

Meloncov
01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Everyone at Rinling learns the basics across the field; modeling, lighting, animation, ect, than choose to specialize in one area. While animation is pushed a bit more heavily than other fields, plenty of people graduate from Rinling specializing in lighting, modeling, or the like.

SanjayChand
01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Lighters I have worked with who attended the school told me that it was not the best school to learn about lighting, and that they heavily pushed animation.

XLNT-3d
01-27-2009, 05:10 PM
you also have be be talented enough just to attend. Did your portfolio pass their admission process?

Noggy
01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't think it's a Ringling concern. You need to ask yourself what you want to do. If you want to light/model/texture/render then you should think about a Visual Effects degree. Animation is focused on motion and bringing objects to life. I'm currently at SCAD and I was originally an Animation major but switched to VSFX because I was more interested in making 3D art than making chracters move and telling stories.

My advice is think about what you want to do before choosing an education path.

Zeinin
01-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Going to college for computer animation will only give you back what you put in. Any program will suffice. Just go for one that has
-24 hour computer labs
-all software licences (maya, modo, Houdini, absolutly needs to have a compositor like shake, nuke, ect)
-fast rigs
-renderfarm
-sculpture program if you are wanting to model organics (10 times easier to model in clay than cg)

The lessons are immaterial, unless you are one who really learns well under instruction. Expect long nights in the lab doing projects on your own. Get to be friends with people who are more skilled than you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 03:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.