PDA

View Full Version : Mantauris WIP

rawb
01-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey everyone!

I am new to working with colors digitally but I have been studying a lot of color theory and whatnot lately so I at least have an understanding (or will probably understand feedback at least!) of what I am doing.

I am working on this here fellow for various reasons. Just a monster I came up with to practice digitally with. THe mantel (the brown blob on top) hasnt really been worked on since the tonal and I'd love suggestions for that but what I am currently wrestling with is blending and creating rich shadows. I have been working ont he arm for the past bit and I just feel like I am getting nowhere at all. I did do a drawing of some anatomy for it but although I can DRAW the stuff fine I just get messed up when trying to paint it. Any suggestions on what to do next, techniques.. anything! I want to learn and get better so hopefully all you senior artists out there can give me some direction.

I also want to eventually add textures.. I tried to do so earlier as a test and it looked really bad, haha. I know the edges are rough too and I had to save on low quality so the forum would let it fit. :)

DArcy1
01-26-2009, 03:19 AM
It's not as bad as I thought from your text :-)
If you can draw to your satisfaction I'd suggest starting with the drawing and paint over it on a separate layer set to "color". It won't smudge anything. See threads like nebezial's - he has several and they are all very useful:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=316013

D'Arcy

rawb
01-26-2009, 03:22 AM
Thank you! I originally did a full tonal based on an old drawing. The drawing didn't have really any muscle detail. I later drew some anatomy (skeleton and muscles) but it was a mock up and doesn't really fit the proportions of the drawing. I AM definately going to check out what you linked me though.

I guess the problems I am having right now, really, is direction. What to do with the shadows.. and how to blend them. I have a hard time seeing if my stuff is decent (an artists block, I guess) so I feel kind of.. trapped. ANd if anyone knows of any good links for texture tutorials, that would be great. Eventually this guy was going to be stripped and with lizard or maybe elephant hide skin texture. The mantel is going to be rock-like (i acutally painted over the one here) and with less texture work to give the eye a break from the detail on the body. Dominance and whatnot. :) I still feel stuck though!

DArcy1
01-26-2009, 03:36 AM
HI again (and welcome, in case I forgot)

Shadows are heavily dependent on the environment and ambient color - on a day with blue sky they are bluish, in a red room they are reddish. So you need a background before you fiddle with colors.

This may help for shadow logic: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

This may help re blending: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=253711

Cheers

D.

rawb
01-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Worked on it some more.. The thread helped a bit, more for inspiration. I think I am still lacking direction for this.. hrm, I am feel slightly less overwhelmed.. but if anyone out there has some advice, or links.. or any CC I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, I just saw your reply as I was typing this! I will definately check out those threads you linked me, thank you. I know exactly what you mean by the background affecting the shadows and tones, although I was hoping to keep this a neutral gray background. I could change it though, I'm not married to it! I was using blues int he shadows (and purples) seeing as it's a compliment of orange. I think my biggest problem is a) blending and b) texturing at this point. Also, I need to work oin the mantle, lol.

rawb
01-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Finally started to move on to the mantle.. ( I know not many, if anyone is really looking buuuut, on the off chance!).. and am still having some issue with textures. IF anyone could recommend anything. Also, when I go to fix the edges, I am worried that they might be too hard, and may look pasted on the bg.. any suggestions to fix that? I just wanted to do a monster concept on a grey background, so maybe I am overthinking it, especially for my first painting.

As a side note, does anyone know of any good tricks for applying textures or painting stripes? I shall keep struggling forward though! I am nervous to do my portrait next, but if I don't paint I'll never get better. :s

DArcy1
01-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi

I actually like the blending you are doing so far. To help it sit as a 3-dimensional figure in a gray room, I'd add the other 3 limbs. It should look like this, in general:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Animals/Mammals/Odd-toed-Hoofed-Mammals/Horses-and-Relatives/Domestic-Horse/Ponies/Caspian/Caspian-8.html

You can see how the other limbs help you visualise this as a 3D figure, even without a background.

Textures are iffy. You really need to know why you are using them, that is, to what purpose. This may help you understand how to apply textures more effectively:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz387Vy0Ps0&feature=related

Cheers

D.

rawb
01-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow thanks again, Darcy. You have honestly been very helpful and I thank you for the time you've taken to respond and help me out. I know not everyone has the time or inclination to help a "noobie" like myself so I do appreciate it. I definately see what you mean about adding the other limbs. I was thinking about this as a straight up profile concept kind of painting BUt it wouldn't be difficult to show the other limbs, or even the suggestion of the other limbs, perhaps in shadow with a bit of light. That would help, actually. And I will DEFINATELY check out that video and see what it suggests. I do have a strong idea of why I want to use texture, hopefully I can just get the how of it all. I certainly don't want to lamely just paste on textures. I am not looking for short cuts, just learning and improving.

So thanks again, man. I appreciate it and hopefully i'll be able to post a "finished" version soon. I doubt i'll ever be 100% satisfied and I am anxious to start other paintings. Must.. learn..!

DArcy1
01-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Ah well , even if you are from Moncton you are a maritimer, so we must stick together ...:D

D.

rawb
01-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I watched that video. That really was very helpful. And what part of the maritimes are you from? I am hoping to get a porfolio together soon and join my friends in Halifax.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2009, 02:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.