PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Run

Nirox
01-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Hello All,
This picture was made after visiting ikea and getting lost, i hate ikea, so i decided to make ikea lamp monsters. this is my first matte paiting so rip this image apart! i take criticism well! and it can only help me improve. Thanks for the view :beer:

UPDATED:

Version 1 (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4416/spearheadnz7.jpg)

Version 2:

Improved atmosphere
Lighting
Flow
Depth of field
Improved Ikea Lamp tentacles

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5246/spearheadv3ty6.jpg

everlite
01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
The alien wires look a little hand drawn, though interesting camera angle, ... but, is it a matte painting? ;) oh and where did you source the different elements? were these 3D generated or painted?

Dave.

Rockhoppermedia
01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Briiliant illustration however

Nirox
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
The alien wires look a little hand drawn, though interesting camera angle, ... but, is it a matte painting? ;) oh and where did you source the different elements? were these 3D generated or painted?

Dave.

Yes the wire's are hand drawn, some of them are a bit "blocky" but its hard to draw smooth flowing wires with a mouse. And i assume it's a matte painting, i made this image out of about 15 different sky / tree images and then searched the internet for a soldier / helicopter that has similar perspective angles and then played around with it until i was able to make it look correct.

All the images i used i found using Google, since i'm not planing on using this in a commercial project (its for my own personal enjoyment) i don't think its a problem.

Everything was done in Photoshop.

Briiliant illustration however

=) thanks

everlite
01-25-2009, 07:18 PM
ok :)

yeh use the pen tool > right click > stroke path ... tadaaa :)

Dave.

Nirox
01-25-2009, 07:37 PM
haha, yah i tried that, but it didn't look good, it was too smooth, there's something about hand drawn lines which you cant really replicate with the pen tool, i'm thinking about spending some cash and buying a wacom... but im on the fence.

Nirox
01-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Updated image =) bump

eyecon
01-26-2009, 08:07 AM
This is a great artwork. I love the way you depicted the image. Nice piece of action in the back too.

But with regards to the background though, theres not much to say... its to heavylly edited and stylized I would not consider that as a mattepaint (that is of course my opinion).

But seriouslly, I think you could better feedback about your image on the other parts of the forum. Right on this one, we are kinda geared towards a much realistic mattes rather than stylized since stylized mattes are very hard to critique due to the fact that its "stylized".

Just my 2 cents.

Still an overall all nice work

Nirox
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Ah, well i'm new to the idea of matte painting, i figured any painting done with photo's cropped in are considered matte? or is "matte" just the idea of photo realism?

And if this isn't matte painting, what do you categorize it as?
:shrug:

And sorry if i posted in the wrong section, i just look at the pretty pictures here, i hardly contribute =)

eyecon
01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi again,

I'm sorry I think I came in too strong. Theres nothing wrong if you post your work here. What I meant was you might not get a very good feedback thats all. Since most people who post their work here major in realistic (or semi-realistic) background images aka Mattepaintings.

Like I said its a very good piece of artwork... and I like what you did here.

As for category, well if I were to categorize it, it would be more under digital painting and/or photomanipulation. I'm not really into specifics since it gets quite messy.

Mattepainting is more on realistic background images, well most of the time that is. Basically in VFX mattepainting is used to :

1. Extend a background (e.g. Indiana jones, Cloverfield)
2. Create a realistic (photoreal) background (e.g. Star Wars, LOTR)

You can however create one artwork that is related to this, like maybe make the background of your artwork more realistic and lessen the painterlly look and the fx. That would fit in.

Like I said there is no strict rule, just a little reminder that may help you in the long term.

Hope this clarifies everything. :D

Have a great one mate.

Nirox
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey no worries :beer:
Thanks for the feedback, and thank you for the clarification, i learned something new.
I'm new to the idea of matte painting, so any information is greatly appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.