PDA

View Full Version : Rig (walkcycle) using bones

decorix
01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my rig setup. I would like to do a walkcycle were my rig walks forward. I have no problems with this. The problem is that I would like to do a walkcycle were the character stays in place. I've seen some trick were they use a mastercontrole to position the (MasterCtrl) back in place were it started from. This way the character walks in place but doesn't move forward.

Basiscly you can position the rig anywere with the masterctrl, but it doesn't effect the animation. Unfortunate it doesn't tell you how its done :-(

My question to what do you link you master controle too?, as I have tried a few things, but everytime my models get screwed up (see image rig_problem2). I also believe that you must delete some forward translations in you trackview, but which ones?

I have my animation keys set to my Ctrl_dummies. Then you should have 2 keys for the controle master, last key will postion the rig back to its starting point.

I would like to hear from someone who could help me. Thanks in advanced.

decorix
01-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I forgot the screenshots:-( with the problem I'm having.

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my rig setup. I would like to do a walkcycle were my rig walks forward. I have no problems with this. The problem is that I would like to do a walkcycle were the character stays in place. I've seen some trick were they use a mastercontrole to position the (MasterCtrl) back in place were it started from. This way the character walks in place but doesn't move forward.

Basiscly you can position the rig anywere with the masterctrl, but it doesn't effect the animation. Unfortunate it doesn't tell you how its done :-(

My question to what do you link you master controle too?, as I have tried a few things, but everytime my models get screwed up (see image rig_problem2). I also believe that you must delete some forward translations in you trackview, but which ones?

I have my animation keys set to my Ctrl_dummies. Then you should have 2 keys for the controle master, last key will postion the rig back to its starting point.

I would like to hear from someone who could help me. Thanks in advanced.

ErikE
01-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Your IK controllers need to be linked to the master controller as well as the root bone(or root bone controller) in your image.

MolemanSD7
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
just copy the forward translation of the root, paste it onto the master control, then scalse it by -1...it should offset the anim perfectly and he'll stay in place.

decorix
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi thanks both for replying.

I have tried both things but as of yet it doesn't appear to work. I have now got my
masterCTRL linked to my ROOT bone. When I double click om my MasterCTRL I really need
the MasterCTRL to select everything, so I can move it back to frame0 pos.0,0,0 but it
doesn't do any of that.

If I link my CTRL_dummies to my Rootbone, then I can move the whole rig, but my animation of my walk is lost!!! If I wanted to keep my animation from my controle dummies and I still wanted to link it to for eg my Bone_root or MasterCTRL which other steps needed to keep the animation intact!! ?

Would there been any tutorials on this?? I've hardly seen any doing a walkcycle in place. Meaning animating the character forward in movement & then making it appear its walkking in place?

Thanks in advanced.

ErikE
01-28-2009, 11:51 PM
The way I have made a walk in place move forward in the past is by measuring the distance of the feet when they are furthest apart, I then moved the master controller based on that distance.

Your master control does not select everything when you double click it because it is not at the top of the hierarchy, which requires linking the Ik controllers and the pelvis controller to it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.