PDA

View Full Version : LW weightmaps question

tOd
06-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Do you guys weight map your model before you freeze it or after. I tried weight mapping the sub d model and of course MB freezes it in the conversion. But Im getting some bones effecting some areas on th emesh in MB that arent when I rotate them in layout.

In truth I havent spent a ton of time tweaking and messing around. it was late but I will try tonight and I thought I drop a thread to get some thoughts to try tonight.

Much appreciated

Shade01
06-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Weight mapping on a low poly object would obviously be easier than weighting a high poly object. My advice would be to weight it as low poly then freeze it later. MB treats weights and deformation differently than Lighwave. Getting the deformations correct in Lightwave is the most important, since most times you will probably bring the animation back into Lightwave when you are done.

tOd
06-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks Shade,
Thing is the character has a big chin and big belly so in LW I can increase the bone strength and using a weight map keep the chin with the head. But when I bring it into MB it the chin is now not being effected by the head bone. Im wondering if I need to ad holder bones for the chin and belly.

I thought MB saw LW weight maps.

Shade01
06-27-2003, 11:56 PM
MB does see Lightwave maps, but not the same way Lightwave sees Lightwave maps. For all the incorrect deformation you are getting in MB, you could bring it back into Lightwave it might be perfectly fine. You can also tweak the model and maps after the fact in Lightwave. I'd say make a small animation and bring it back to Lightwave and see what it does.

tOd
06-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Yeah that would work but make for some messy looking models in MB

3DDave
06-28-2003, 11:22 PM
When you freeze the model, Lightwave may add poly's that do NOT have any weights applied to them. Recheck your maps after freezing the object.

tOd
06-29-2003, 03:50 PM
3D Dave,
Ill check that. The character has a big chin that doesnt want to follow the head bone. So I have to up the stregth in LW to get the chin to follow the head bone. Ive tried adding an extra bone to hold the chin but Im getting wierd things in LW. The search goes on.

BTW th same model in Maya using Maya's weightmaps work perfect.

tOd
06-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Figured it out. I needed to chesk multiply by rst lenght and increase the strength of the bone.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.