PDA

View Full Version : educational license ?

admkrk
01-25-2009, 02:54 AM
i'm not really sure were or how to go about asking this.

basically, i have a noncommercial license. eulas just confuse me when it comes to something like this and like i said i don't know were to go to get an answer.

i'd like to be able to create a model(s) that could be sold for charity. i would receive nothing in return except the pleasure of giving. on the other hand, the model would technically be for sale with the proceeds going to help out (at the moment) a person put on the street due to the current economy. i've had no income in a year myself and am lucky enough to still have my house. even if i can't help myself, it would be nice to be able to possibly help someone else.
Unfortunately with the recession, many of us are not able to send money directly, but we would like to help, so the chaps at VP have set up "Vanishing Point Community Models".

The idea is simple. Artists create models and textures, upload them to the VP store and sell them under Joel's name. Apart from the adminstrative costs, such as Paypal fees, VP and vendors will NOT be taking their vendor cut for these models.

these are being offered at a "pick your price" amount with only a suggested price.

so to the bottom line, will i be able to contribute in this with only my educational license? or were would be the proper place to ask?

tia, and sorry if this inappropriate to post here in the first place.

peace, kirk

JDex
01-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Um... possibly a gray area. Before the changing of hands, I would have said you could simply email support@softimage and I'd be sure you'd get a prompt and definitive response. As things are now... I really don't know. I'd try the AREA forums, or even email the softimage email above anyway, with you fingers crossed that the same great people are reading it.

admkrk
01-25-2009, 03:25 AM
Um... possibly a gray area. Before the changing of hands, I would have said you could simply email support@softimage and I'd be sure you'd get a prompt and definitive response. As things are now... I really don't know. I'd try the AREA forums, or even email the softimage email above anyway, with you fingers crossed that the same great people are reading it.

yep, i would have gone to support to ask "before". from what i've read just below this post, that's all in limbo atm tho. i guess i'm hoping someone with some kind of connection will see this? in the mean time i guess it can't hurt to try for the horse's mouth.

01-25-2009, 06:55 AM
9192: The discussion is regarding how AD will interpret the use of an educational license on a charitable, non-profit project and how to get those answers from AD. Please refrain from unrelated political commentary.

admkrk
01-26-2009, 02:36 AM
i didn't mean to start any controversy, one of the reasons i asked here instead of a more open thread. i did send an email to support, but being the weekend, i'm not expecting an answer until tomorrow at best. AD doesn't even list xsi as a product atm. i couldn't find an appropriate channel to ask from their site and the closest i found was "feedback". if i don't hear anything by the middle of the week, i guess i can try that. i am still open for suggestions tho.

thanks again, kirk

JDex
01-26-2009, 03:03 AM
No need for an apology admkrk. Update this thread when there's something to report. I imagine that until AD makes things clearer, there will be more threads in the future on how to get answers, and anything you experience on this issue may assist others.

01-26-2009, 05:14 AM
OK Mr. Moderator.
Anyhow I thing it is not politic but human being issue.
I have sen mu coworkers were let go during the past three months and I believe I know how bad it feel for people who lost their jobs.
And the truth is the truth. It is in every CG web site, reporting AD laid off 700 people because their lost. Adobe laid 600 people off. We all know. But the think that is public too, but did not get report is AD CEO got $7M bonus.

I do what I believe.

JDex
01-26-2009, 05:30 AM
OK Mr. Moderator.
Anyhow I thing it is not politic but human being issue.
I have sen mu coworkers were let go during the past three months and I believe I know how bad it feel for people who lost their jobs.
And the truth is the truth. It is in every CG web site, reporting AD laid off 700 people because their lost. Adobe laid 600 people off. We all know. But the think that is public too, but did not get report is AD CEO got $7M bonus.

I do what I believe.
Yes, I understand and sympathize. But again, it is irrelevant to the issue at hand. Please do what you believe where it is appropriate, but when participating in the CGTalk community, please adhere to the CGTalk Policies that we have all agreed to by signing up:

CGTalk Policy
All of the following guidelines have been formulated according to specific problems that we have encountered in the past, and wish to prevent in the future, in the interests of maintaining a level of professionalism and respect amongst users on CGTalk.

Because CGTalk is a computer graphics related community, and in the interests of keeping potentially offensive topics away from the forum, the Administrators and Forum Leaders of these forums do not tolerate posts that contain any of the following subjects or elements:

- Politics or political propaganda in any form
If you wish to discuss politics, kindly find an appropriate forum for such discussion. Topics of this nature resort in lengthy and unnecessary arguments that are nevertheless totally unrelated to the subject of computer graphics or visual effects.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/faq.php?

01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah JDex, it is a grey area since politic is everywhere and what you had to do is what you have to do.
I do respect CG Forum and its members who have the same interest and how great the web site became the center of community.
However, it is surprise me too that GC Society has no campaign or did not organize anything to to help those people who some of them,I believe a lot, are the members of this web site who once helped to build up user base for the web site so that the user base is big enough t attract sponsors.
I know CG Society is the business organization not charity one. Professionalism in CG talk is possibly not only the questions and answers web, but also the place people gathering to help the other. With the huge user base here, if CG Society comes up with something, direct charity, parts of membership fee, store profits, gathering star members to make PDF/video tutorials for sale, I do believe if everyone here would jump on the boat.

JDex
01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
10s of thousands of people outside of the software industry, but related to CG have also been dramatically affected by the worldwide economic condition. I can not speak for CGSociety, but I do not believe it is the purpose of this community to become a charitable vehicle for people who have lost their jobs. It already serves many other more valuable services to them and those who have not been as severely impacted.

By fostering an active community to allow people to:
- showcase their capabilities and work
- get answers to questions related to the technical and artistic aspects of their work
- to provide answers to others (expanding their own knowledge) and building a larger professional network and reputation
- stay current with industry related news and opportunities

this community is doing a very large service.

If you wish to have a further discussion on this off-topic tangent, I ask that you consider starting a thread in the CG General Discussion or CGS Suggestion forum, which would be a far more appropriate place for this tangent, than the XSI forum.

Please allow this thread to continue on-topic.

admkrk
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
well, i did get a very nice reply from support today, so that channel seams to working ok. unfortunately it wasn't definitive. it appears i didn't inherit ad's eula with the switch over and it's still covered under avid's. it looks like i'll be ok, but still awaiting word from avid.

01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
admkrk,
Would you let me know the detail how to help those folks by sell models. I would be happy to help them and I own the commercial version anyway.
Thanks,

admkrk
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
vanishing point (http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/contactus.asp)

it's mainly a poser site but they do deal with other formats. i'm sure anything would be appreciated as it looks like they haven't received any offerings besides the first one yet.

luceric
01-28-2009, 02:31 PM
These sort of setups are often scams-ish. (How much money is there to make to sell 3D models, who's doing the accounting, and where is the money actually going, and how long does this go on, and who keeps tracks?) The goal is probably more to get new models in the catalog for free.

01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
admkrk,

After checking it, I have to admit that in my opinion it seems to be scam as Luceric said.
It would be more creditable if it was organized by the professional organizations or reliable web site such as Daz 3D, CG Society or Formfont.
It is very sad that someone trying to take advantage on the other, particularly in this situation. I went through three recessions before my life, but this one seem to be way further than any.
It seems like we need to stick with the old school, Food Bank. At least I know a lot of CG related folks around town using it and benefit from what I drop there.

admkrk
01-29-2009, 03:37 AM
while i agree that the main motivation for this is to bring in some traffic, VP has been around for a little while and i think they would do what they say. being one step away from living in my truck i fully understand how much even a couple $ would make. at this point it's only to help out one person. sorta like the jar at the corner store or bar taking a collection to help out family who's house burned down the other day. i figure if i can toss in a couple $s by doing something i would be doing anyway, it's no skin off my nose. i'm only just learning and can't do the quality of work like most of you can, just look at my steampunk submission.

i didn't post here looking to recruit for this. i just wanted for maybe someone else to benefit from my learning experience. i got into 3d through DazlStudio and am grateful that i am able to take it further with xsi. i'm too old to be able to catch up to even the people just starting out these days and be able to keep pace. not that i won't try. i do strongly believe in karma tho and as long as i can keep it on the plus side i can rest easy.

then again ya'll could be right?

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2009, 03:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.