PDA

View Full Version : New Maya Anim Layers with MotionBuilder is awesome.

growthweb
01-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Iam so impressed with the new animation layers in maya 2009. MotionBuilder stuff is importing so beautifully for me in to Maya 2009. Textures, Animation etc. And now being able to tweek the imported MotionBuilder character animation in Maya layers its just too easy. Really seems like MotionBuilder and Maya are really blending together beautifully now. (in my opinion). Wish there were more MotionBuilder people out there on the forums. Dont want to see MotionBuilder fade away. :)

bclark
01-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Yeah it finally makes the FBIK rig in Maya useful and the Maya layers let you import "takes" so you can have more than one "take" in Maya.. just make the new layer override.

the_podman
02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey guys. First off, bclark, your DVD helped me tremendously with my Motionbuilder class. Thanks!

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how to get the baked FBIK rig out of motionbuilder 2009 into Maya 2009. I can't seem to export the character FBIK rig into maya successfully. It will import fine into Maya, however, the FBIK node and controllers(with keyticks) is never connected to the deform skeleton and I have to end up defining another FBIK rig for the skeleton, then copying the animation from the non-connected FBIK to the connected one. Am I doing something wrong in the export process?

I suppose I could just write a script that will take the keyticks from the FBIK controllers and copy them to a defined FBIK in maya, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Before Maya 2009, our old pipeline was to do all the moCap cleanup/offsetting in Motionbuilder, due to the powerful layer tools, however, now that we have animation layers in Maya, I want to eliminate this step in Motionbuilder and do the work in Maya instead, using the FBIKs in Maya(they were fairly useless in Maya before due to lack of layers.). This would help my students as well, so they wouldn't have to get used to animating and setting up camera shots in Motionbuilder, but rather work within an app that they are comfortable in.(The class is VERY accelarated and time is limited.)

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Rodney Brett
Instructor
Ex'pression College for Digital Arts
www.youtube.com/RodneyBrett (http://www.youtube.com/RodneyBrett)

biggyninja
02-11-2009, 02:46 AM
hmm sounds interesting... Can you do this with 3d max's animation layers does anyone know?...

the_podman
02-11-2009, 02:59 AM
hmm sounds interesting... Can you do this with 3d max's animation layers does anyone know?...

Currently, I don't think you can do this in Max because there is no FBIK solver built into the app. There is a seperate HumanIK add-on to Max which will give you a similar FBIK solution, but I'm not sure how different it is from the FBIK within MotionBuilder and Maya.

Gnad
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey Rodney,

Currently I'm trying to do the same like you but I can't find a way to get a working IK Rig back into Maya.

Any News now? Have you found a way to get a working IK Rig back to Maya

First I try to generate the Full Body IK in Maya then export it to motionbuilder.
After Animating in the character with Mocap data in Motionbuilder I reimport it back to Maya.

But then the Control Rig and the Skeletton seems not to be synchronized anymore.
I can move the IK-handles around and everything seems to work but if i key the handles the joints aren't synchronized to the rig anymore.
http://f.imagehost.org/0418/Layer_Animation_Problem.pngAny Ideas? Please help

the_podman
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Sorry, I haven't found a solution. There is a workaround, but it's a little bit of a pain. That is to simply copy the animation curves from the "detached" FBIK to a newer one generated in Maya with the skeleton.

It would be nice to migrate the FBIK rigs from MB to Maya now that we have animation layers in Maya. Oh, well

-Rod

Gnad
03-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh that's bad. But Thanks anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2009, 10:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.