PDA

View Full Version : Antialiased lines in XSI7

Baltazaar
01-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi there.
I can't seem to find an option for antialiasing lines in the viewports.
I mean like grids, and well, lines... Edges etc...

JDex
01-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Is this for capture, or simply your viewing enjoyment?

If for viewing enjoyment:
Forced Application AA from the GFX Card software can be problematic on non-pro cards (both brands), but with the certified Pro cards, you should be able to enable the Softimage profile through the GFX Card software and have control over viewport AA.

If for captures:
Use the Render Manger to render an AA'd capture. It's pretty simple and you can use it w/ distributed setups (if you have one).

Baltazaar
01-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a certified FireGL card, where do I find this "profile"?

JDex
01-25-2009, 10:34 PM
On FireGLs I can't exactly recall. The last one I worked Z1-128 back in '04, and I think it was in the Control Panel or accessed from the Advanced tab of the Display Options. Can't be sure tho, I replaced that card with an older quadro pretty quickly, when it was apparent that the ATI wasn't up to the job. It may be that they don't have such an option (or not anymore at least), as google did not net any obvious answers.

On quadros, there is usually a nVidia taskbar icon that you can click on and choose from a list of OpenGL accelerated app profiles (Softimage being one of them).

Baltazaar
01-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Someone prefers NVidia, others ATI.
I'm the latter.

More bang for the buck. GDDR4, Shader 4.0, PCIe 2.0, OpenGL 2.1....

I just made a profile, and bumped up the AA settings when running XSI, and it works fine.

Sbowling
01-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Someone prefers NVidia, others ATI.
I'm the latter.

More bang for the buck. GDDR4, Shader 4.0, PCIe 2.0, OpenGL 2.1....

I just made a profile, and bumped up the AA settings when running XSI, and it works fine.

A lot more problems with drivers, etc. if you look at the ATI history. A fast card with crappy drivers is still a crappy card.

Baltazaar
01-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Off course.

If I had the money, I'd go for Quadro as well!
The entry to mid level cards from Nvidia is too expensive when compared to the features of the same product line from ATI.

mirkoj
02-12-2009, 06:17 AM
This shouldn't turn into another pro or non-pro card discussion :)
For nVidia cards go to Nvidia control panel and under 3d Settings->Manage 3d settings.
There is a list of programs (you can filter to show only instaled) under program settings tab. Find program you need and setup everything there to override global settings.
Works fine on both Quadro4600 on work and on gaming GTX280 at home.
There is probably similiar solution for ATI cards as well I guess but I don't have one to check now :)
Have fun

runejw
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
The card-agnostic solution is to get a bigger LCD screen with high resolution.

Given a big enough display with high enough resolution and leaning back in your chair, most aliasing problems will drop to a hardly noticeable level :D :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.