PDA

View Full Version : XSI performance

zoom3d
01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I just installed XSI 7 and there is a problem i don't know why occurred.
I am opening the xsi 7 and after few minutes it's going to get slower , i clicking anywhere and it responds late , there wasn't any problem with xsi 6.5
What maybe the problem ? How can i solve it.
By the way i use XP , i wonder that if i switch to Vista can i get better performance generally ? (That's question not about the problem i wrote above , it's just a general question)
My hardware is ;
Core 2 Duo 2 ghz
2 GB ram
128 mb ATI X1600
I care about if i switch to vista does it eat the system power source for work the windows ?

mattmos
01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
XSI doesn't play too well with ATI cards - the ATI drivers are pretty shocking. 7 is a bit more picky about the cards that it works well with. I'd prob test it with a nvidia card before installing vista (which I doubt will improve performance).

zoom3d
01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I use imac i mean i have no chance to change graphic card :(
Isn't there any way to work it well ?

mattmos
01-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Only thing I can suggest is to see whether you can try different driver versions - even older ones. Apart from that I don't really have any ideas afraid...

Baltazaar
01-24-2009, 11:53 PM
XSI doesn't play too well with ATI cards - the ATI drivers are pretty shocking. 7 is a bit more picky about the cards that it works well with. I'd prob test it with a nvidia card before installing vista (which I doubt will improve performance).

Well, ATI GAMING CARDS are not all that good with XSI.
I have a ATI FireGL card (certified by Softimage/Autodesk), and there is no problem with the ATI drivers.
Same goes for most NVidia gaming cards.

JDex
01-25-2009, 01:48 AM
I have a ATI FireGL card (certified by Softimage/Autodesk), and there is no problem with the ATI drivers.
Same goes for most NVidia gaming cards.
Since he's using an iMac, he can't work w/ a pro ATI card. XSI does not have the same problems with Nvidia gaming cards/drivers. This is almost across the board an ATI problem. Ive never had a single problem with geforce cards/drivers in many years, myself - even with cards way under-powered for the project.

zoom3d
01-25-2009, 12:19 PM
This is really bad :(
So if i install new drivers , does it change somethings well ?

Baltazaar
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
This is really bad :(
So if i install new drivers , does it change somethings well ?

Well how do you go about installing new drivers on the Mac?
Have one myself, and the drivers are included in the OS X updates...
In bootcamp, you can update to the latest ATI drivers for bootcamp, and that might solve it...

zoom3d
01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
There is only updates for XP if i switch to Vista , how can i get new updates ?

Baltazaar
01-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, with Bootcamp only 32bit XP is officially supported, so, I really don't know.
64-bit is supported on bootcamp on Mac Pro desktops, but not on imacs and laptops as far as my knowledge goes.
There are some hacks to this, so I suggest googeling and tweaking, or run a separate machine for XSI with 64-bit Windows...

zoom3d
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I feel like a power is blocking my XSI desire :D
Otherwise i am going to install XSI 6.5 but this time ICE turns to a dream for me :(

Baltazaar
01-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I recently bought a new machine just so I could run XSI in 64bit and with certified FireGL GPU...

Sbowling
01-26-2009, 05:46 AM
I feel like a power is blocking my XSI desire :D:(

The "power" is called your Mac.

savithk
01-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Zoom3d aim also using software xsi 7.01...in xp 32bit in PC working perfectly..no problem ...well my suggestion uninstall ur xsi version....& is please download new version of xsi 7.01 with Crosswalk_v3.11.11 with SpmSetup-7.0.698-win...then try may it work ....i like Mac also wow ....bye take

Baltazaar
01-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Zoom3d aim also using software xsi 7.01...in xp 32bit in PC working perfectly..no problem ...well my suggestion uninstall ur xsi version....& is please download new version of xsi 7.01 with Crosswalk_v3.11.11 with SpmSetup-7.0.698-win...then try may it work ....i like Mac also wow ....bye take

Is this English, or what?!

mdee
01-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Try to tag some points on dense mesh (30-40k+ poly) and see what happens.
ATI cards as of today (current driver release 8.543) are rubbish when it comes to XSI and that includes FireGLs.

To answer original question - if I were you, I'd buy cheap $500 xp machine with some Nvidia card and forget about problems.

TylerAZambori
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
http://tinyurl.com/bxhple

Seems ATI is better at opengl than people give it credit for.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.