PDA

View Full Version : Moving rotation point with a controler

Eloas
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone !
I've seen, a couple of days ago, a rigging demoreel, where the animator has the possibility to move the rotation point of the foot (on an IK leg) by moving a sphere controler.
So he could translate the sphere to the end of the toes and the foot rotates on the toes, he puts it on the heel, and the foot rotates on the heel... It was very interesting.
But I don't know how to do that, and have not found any information on google.
So if someone here could help me to understand how to do that... I'll be very nice.

Cheers

scroll-lock
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
does the reel show the possibility to key the pivot and then key it on a different position, without breaking the animation ? I doubt it's possible without scripting or programming. It's easy to do it with a little math only if you don't want the ability to key the pivot on different place.

Eloas
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I didn't see keys, so can't answer you.
But how do you do without keying system (with a keying system, I think I could do with MEL scripts ^^).

Thanks for your interest.

Littleberu
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Could it be "only" a vector? I say "only" because there's obviously more to it than that, but is it essentially a vector?

scroll-lock
01-23-2009, 03:54 PM
One way:
Create a cube;
Create a locator;
Connect the locator.translate >to> cube.rotatePivot;

I often do it for main controls of my characters. Although making the locator "unkeyable" is a must....

I really had thought about this a lot. And I can't find a way to do it without messing with the matrices in some sort of plugin and scriptjobs.

Eloas
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks a lot for your answer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.