PDA

View Full Version : Bluescreen in miniDV format does it work?

romz
05-03-2002, 05:41 AM
I just recently bought a Canon GL1 and heard miniDV is not the way to capture bluescreen. So I decided to put the GL1 to the test and to do some bluescreen filming. Well, the output had some, what it looks like to be compression fragments. While the camera picked up the color pretty well, it was impossible to pull a good key.

Has anyone else tried such a task with any luck and if so, please share some advice?

romz

mgrawert
05-04-2002, 07:57 PM
I've used bluescreen footage in a number of projects with a sony VX2000. Best results usually are achieved when the actors are closer to the camera. I have found when the actors are near the camera the pixelation problem usually is not a problem and clean mattes can be taken. However, i have had trouble getting clean mattes when the actors are farther away from the camera and smaller in frame. Pixelation becomes a big problem in this instance.

ZrO-1
05-05-2002, 01:45 AM
I really don't do much bluescreen work but here's what I understand about miniDV. I believe that miniDV uses MPEG compression to record the video with. If that's the case then that is why you are getting the artifacts in your background. I'd check and see if you have an option to turn the compression off or to increase the quality of compression/resolution. You'd go through tape a lot faster, but if you're in a studio enviroment it's not as big of a concern. Only other thing I could think of is instead of recording to the miniDV try feeding the A/V feeds to an external recording source or the PC directly. It might help.

alphatron
05-05-2002, 09:35 PM
zR0,

It doesn't use Mpeg compression and you can not alter the compression scheme it does use. Better to do your bluscreen stuff with Beta or Digibeta.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.