PDA

View Full Version : Still learning: 2nd model

koinu
06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Hey Folks:wavey:
Well I spent some time today figuring out the Modeler and this is a concept I got from a site that had model sheets. Tried to get the basic shape before I weld the two halfs together and then smooth it. Not sure if I'm going to high res this guy or let the textures do the work for me. Let me know what would be best. And I love LW, WOW it's so easy to get around in. You guys go it going on......:thumbsup: :D

koinu
06-27-2003, 06:40 AM
Hands are tomorrow. So here is another shot...Give me hell....:banghead:

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Looks good. Have you had a chance to play with the Subpatch mode yet? If your object is constructed of quads, then hit the tab key and watch it instantly (and non-destructively) smooth out. You can control the apparant level of detail by hitting the 'o' key in modeler and adjusting the Patch Divisions up and down. A Patch Division of 6 provides a good level of detail in most situations. A level of 3 is good if you're working on more limited hardware.

The other thing I would recommend is applying Smoothing to your surface in the Surface Editor panel. That will allow Layout to render with its native Phong shader.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that the details in subpatch objects is controlled by the proximity of your geometry. If you're coming from another 3D app, this probably makes sense. If not, you might want to look at the brief modeling tutorial on my website:

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/html/modeling_overview.html

Hope this helps!

Steve

koinu
06-27-2003, 07:09 AM
Steve,
Thanks for your input and Yes I'li try the subpatch thing. Does it have levels of detailas in Maya SubD's with 13 LOD? Yes this was a quick test to see if I could create something, I think the total hours into this guy is around 4, that's learning different tools and modeling aspects. Thanks for the tut, my LW tut folder is growing bigger than my Maya one so far.WOOHOO
HIHO off to Model I go.......:argh:
Steve, your site isn't responding and your PM box is full...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.