PDA

View Full Version : Maya weighting driving me mad

creationtwentytwo
01-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi there,

I've started learning Maya having used Max and C4D for a while. I'm following the 'Learning Autodesk Maya 2008' books from Autodesk and while I'm getting on fine with it, I have run into a very frustrating problem.

I've got my character rigged and set for animation, but I wanted to tidy up the weighting before I went any further, so I go into the paint weight tool and notice a few spots that need erasing, or un-weighting. I clean them up and move on to the next joint. Then when I've reached the end of the list of joints, I go back to the first to find the weighting is all wrong again. This happens on multiple joints, multiple times, and in multiple files that I've tried.

If anyone knows why this is happening I would love to know how to fix it!

Thanks

DanHaffner
01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
When your painting the weights, what are your settings. What is check and unckecked in the option boxes.

creationtwentytwo
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the response, here are some screenshots of the settings I am using:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3873/picture1hn6.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1206/picture2yx7.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1117/picture3ui1.jpg

Lomax
01-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Erasing weights rarely works, because Maya can be pretty stupid about how it redistributes the values. Adding weights to the desired joint is safer.

creationtwentytwo
01-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok thanks for the tip, is there a way to start entirely from fresh?

I was merely erasing the default weighting which had been added to the wrong places, and as you say, it was just redistributing the weighting to incorrect positions.

ragdoll
01-23-2009, 09:35 PM
when painting skin weights try to use the "add" paint wts function to add influence on the joints you want it to have an effect on, try to avoid everything else...another useful feature is the toggle hold wts on selected...this keeps weighting from jumping onto other joints you don't want to have influence on example if you're working on the elbow, you can keep the shoulder and elbow joints unlocked just to make sure that those are the only ones getting influences...a much faster way around this is the component editor...i've grown to like the component editor more than the paint tool...but i also started with painting skin wts... good luck.

DanHaffner
01-25-2009, 08:45 PM
The guys/gals above me covered the point I was getting to. I just didn't get an email saying someone responded to my post, so I thought the thread died. >.<

Replacing weights is a radio button you want to stay away from. You are actually telling Maya to get rid of the weight here, and stick it where ever it feels like. Which is the reason when you go through and fix everything, the very first joint is jacked up again.

The easiest way I can describe it, is let's say Maya has a weight system of 100%. So on the whole model, you have to have 100%. Well if this joint here has 5%, this one has 2.4% and this guy over here has 10%, and you work on the one with 10%, it may move the weight to the 5%, it may move it to the 2.4%, you honestly have no idea where it's gonna put the weight. So sticking to smooth and add weight would def be your best option.

As for how to very easily start over. Click the skin of the model, go into your animation menu set and you go to:

Skin > Go to Bind pose

This will put your model in it's original position.

Then go to skin > detach skin and check out the options box, if you have delete history it should completely remove anything you did to the skin, starting you back at square one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2009, 08:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.