PDA

View Full Version : VFS Modeling Reel: Peter Hogan

Berserker
06-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Hi, I just graduated from the Vancouver Film School. It's been a great year! Here is my final project, a collection of my best models. I used SoftImage XSI, Adobe Photoshop, and After Effects. BTW, I'm interested in working in the games industry if anyone can help me get in there...
:beer:

Please go here to download:
Big: 25.6mb, 1:53, 720x540, 15fps, MPEG4
http://www.vfs.com/~peterhogan/demoreel/demoreel.html

Thanks for checking it out, and feel free to critique it to death!
peterhogan@shaw.ca

http://www.vfs.com/~peterhogan/3dwork/new17.jpg

JasonA
06-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Hey thats some great modeling work. Being a scifi lover, i especially liked the alien model, but the other female characters were quite cool as well. i don't know that the building does much for your reel tho, its seems alot lower in scale than the other models. I think I would consider removing it from your reel because of that. Its nice, but alot simpler than the others so it seems a bit out of place. If you were to keep it, i would take it and the tank/rover thing and put them on the end of the reel.

Nice showing the maps too btw, cool to see the texturing work.

Only other comment is that this animation is pretty low res (I realize your demo reel is bigger) and its hard to really enjoy alot opf the detail in your work. Maybe consider putting some hi res stills in the thread or better yet, re-render it at 640x480.

Great work overall man, vfs students are putting out some great stuff these days!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

ed209
06-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Some very impressive moels you have there. I agree with Jason on axing the building, it does feel like filler. Anyway you could post a few pics of the alien? I'd love to see the detail of the head in a nice rendered image.

Berserker
06-27-2003, 05:15 PM
I agree, the building wasn't at the same level as the other models so I cut it out. I intened to put all the elements together with a little bit of animation in the next few weeks.

I put up a new high res movie... looks much better!

Thanks for the critique!

JasonA
06-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Nice.... the higher res works much better, thanks for posting it.

Seeing the rover in more detail made me appreciate it a bit more. Nice job on the texture maps. Hera and Paige are both excellent too. In fact, I like Hera's pose and head better (my personal preference). Sweet job on the detailing. Couple questions, 1) is this all subD? 2) Are you starting from your own concept art or other reference? 3) Could you post some of the the low poly cages for these chicks or the alien?

Ok couple crits about the reel.

1) I would put the characters first, then the rover
2) I think you're short changing yourself on the rover. the Rover needs a couple of close up shots in turntable style ie the gun on top, maybe the tires, rims and the blanket/stuff detail on the back. Show off your good work man!
3) The alien needs a close up turn table of a few of his details, but most importantly the head. Everyone is gonna wanna see some details, especially the mouth/face area. I think the torso and legs would be cool to. For the closeup sequence perhaps consider a rotating closeup that starts from the bottom and slowly moves up the model, pausing on the head area so the viewer can soak up the detailing. If you're doing closeups of Hera and Paige, then don't shortchange the Alien. Its great work, you need to show more of it.
4) I like the desert/dirt landscape at the beginning of the reel. Why not compose a scene with the rover and the house in this evironment and do a slow pan over/around it? Then you can show your house model and have a bit more to boot.

Anyways, just some ideas for you. Great reel man, good luck on the job hunt!

lildragon
06-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Advice, get some mirrors going you'll see why in a bit ;) crits in a sec, and where's the building everyone is referring to?

-lild

lildragon
06-27-2003, 07:18 PM
OK as you may have noticed you're plugged, and from past experience the VFS server WILL pop in a few minutes, so I'll host some images for ya temporarily and maybe they'll be some kind souls out there to mirror your reel for ya. Great work man, I especially dig the poses.

http://www.cgtalk.com/tmp/m2k-poster.jpg
http://www.cgtalk.com/tmp/PaigeRotation00384.jpg

-lild

wbate
06-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah Pete, congrats on the front page plug, you earned it!

Hope it brings you something good!

CGmonkey
06-27-2003, 07:49 PM
WOOOOW :applause:

StefanA
06-27-2003, 07:56 PM
really nice stuff! I'm sure you'll have no problems finding an employer anytime soon.

Nice details on the characters.

best of luck

.stefan andersson

edaddy
06-27-2003, 08:04 PM
your cat looks just like mine Berserker.

i would've commented on your reel but the vfs server is struggling
:shrug:

ShadowM8
06-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Very impressive reel! This is one of many good reel coming out of VFS lately! I really enjoyed the characters!

BTW Berserker would you mind if i contact you by PM and ask you a few questions about VFS? Because i am planning to go there next year!

Reo
06-27-2003, 08:45 PM
well nice to see XSI people working hard.......your hera girl has some interesting boots......

tell me have you always been at VFS?

I thought I'd seen your work before.

Mangled Poly
06-27-2003, 08:46 PM
patiently waits for a mirror to show up the sceens look great.. im hoping to attent next year aswelll

Arab Queen
06-27-2003, 08:56 PM
WoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOow!
that's cool:applause:

KolbyJukes
06-27-2003, 08:56 PM
Very nice stuff man! I especially like how you displayed the texture maps, very slick.

Good luck with finding work,
-Kol

Levitateme
06-27-2003, 09:03 PM
great models, your alien i like alot.

slice56
06-27-2003, 10:17 PM
any mirrors? the server is down :(

Brassfire
06-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I want to see this since I have a game project with a female hero, it's more medieval than sci-fi... unfortunately non-paid so far... but do you do concepts too?

Anyway, I can offer you some space and bandwidth for a mirror for a month, and recommend some free hosts to put it at as well. Email dragonstarnet AT dragonstarnet.com if you want.

ZVAN
06-27-2003, 10:56 PM
aih!!! what's the vfs password thingy? cant download! :hmm:

cgwolf
06-27-2003, 10:57 PM
um.......... what demo reel...I cant access anything.

lildragon
06-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Does anyone read anymore? :) Read my post about the mirrors.

-lild

Etchy
06-27-2003, 11:36 PM
thanx for hosting his pic lildragon.. cause his links are dead..

But nice pictures.. would have loved to see that reel.. but maybe sometime in the future..

Etchy:wavey:

SPIDER2544
06-27-2003, 11:36 PM
some one out there be a cool guy and put up a mirror

Etchy
06-27-2003, 11:47 PM
i have my domain running at a server with free trafic.. maybe i could put up a image.. but dont have a homepage yet.. just the server room..

let me know

JBoskma
06-27-2003, 11:58 PM
We want mirrors!
Wij willen mirrors!
Nous demandons mirrores!
WIR WOLLEN MIRRORS!
Mirrori, porvavore, grazie!

Okay, my crappy multilanguagle try of getting a mirror. I'd really like to see this one.

Boxcarwilli
06-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Ive waited the entire day for a mirror.

Lildragon, you guys need to come up with a business model for hosting content, otherwise this site will prove more of a frustration than anything else as the industry continues to grow..........

fretshredder
06-28-2003, 12:33 AM
POP

Server melted down :blush:

Until there is/are mirrors .. thanks lild for posting some still for us to see :applause:

/gz

mental
06-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Boxcarwilli
Ive waited the entire day for a mirror.

Lildragon, you guys need to come up with a business model for hosting content, otherwise this site will prove more of a frustration than anything else as the industry continues to grow.......... show some more respect :shame:

heya berserker, i checked out your webpage earlier (haven't seen your reel though) and i've got to say that your models are clean and efficient. the texturing and lighting is on par with your modeling as well.

the only thing i'm wondering about is: you're going for a position in the game industry but i haven't seen some of your low-rez modelling. admittedly, i don't work in games but i thought that low-rez work would be a big part of someone's portfolio who was going for that line of work (not unless you're shooting for their cinematics department).

also pick up a copy of Game Developer Magazine they have a nice listing of various game companies from month to month.

congratulations on graduating and good luck.

-mental :surprised

digones
06-28-2003, 03:01 AM
mirrooooooooooooors, pleeease! :wavey:

dmeyer
06-28-2003, 03:05 AM
I can put up a mirror, but, um, i need to get the files first! :shrug:

sin_catcher
06-28-2003, 03:41 AM
mirrors!
mirrors!
mirrors!

We want mirrors!
Pleases!

ajouvenat
06-28-2003, 04:09 AM
I have yet to see this, but I have space to mirror it until you get a more permanent means of storage or until i decide its taking alot of bandwidth away from my site (which ever comes first). I can only host one of these files, and I'd gladly host the larger one since your work truly needs to be seen at it's best. My ftp will have a user limit of 50 people.

if some one has it, I am in the #3dbuzz IRC room at irc.3dbuzz.com. My user name is SLAYER or you can contact me on AIM s/n SLAYER DEICIDE1

-Aaron

lildragon
06-28-2003, 04:18 AM
Does anyone know Peter? I just don't want him not being here to address this issue hurting his chances at potential employment. The plug won't be up forever. I've sent an email but if anyone personally knows him, do clue him in.

-lild

kmachine
06-28-2003, 04:35 AM
I too will post a mirror or two, but I need to get the file first. Maybe someone who already has the large file would want to up it to my box so I can share it out?

68.107.152.136, on port 27779
user: cgtalk
pass: cgtalk

LINK DOWN

wah431996
06-28-2003, 05:12 AM
very nice modeling, but can't download the movie file, why?!

lildragon
06-28-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by wah431996
very nice modeling, but can't download the movie file, why?!

Ok, obviously you didn't read anything in the thread :hmm: and can you please shorten your signature, it's way too long.

-lild

ShadowM8
06-28-2003, 05:26 AM
I was lucky enough to view the reel and thanks to the wonderfull windows its saved in my temp folder so those who are whilling to provide morrors can contact me and i can send the file to them!

In fact i'll be nice enough and upload it to my own ftp and will share the link :) although my ftp server isn't ment for that and i may well get my acount closed, but this reel is just too good :p
Stand by for the link..

superfly18
06-28-2003, 05:27 AM
The real looks fantastic, can't want to dl the file. But hey you know lil' dragon, that one guy makes a good point. Cgtalk could host files for users at small prices. I think you'd make quite the side change, ya know? That way there aren't mirror problems or being not having webspace and uploading pics under 20k. Just a an idea, perhaps you should look into it?

Other than that, i could mirror for you guys...just someone PM me, send the vid, and it'll be up before i can watch it! :thumbsup:

ShadowM8
06-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Well my ftp couldn't handle the video and plus it only goes upto the speed of about 5kb/s which doesn't really help anybody :(

kmachine i also uploaded the reel file to the adress you have posted..... so its all yours

kmachine
06-28-2003, 06:35 AM
OK here's a mirror of the big avi.... hope it holds out.

Link down

and thanks ShadowM8

now to watch the reel.

nickRX
06-28-2003, 06:48 AM
i have the original file he posted still if anyone wants me to send it.....no website to upload

its the one with the building in it still

Sceme
06-28-2003, 07:09 AM
lild -so u can't plug it second time after they get things to work?

i'm waiting to see this one and if it is really good (images looks good). And i hope everyone could see this by then...

ajouvenat
06-28-2003, 07:16 AM
I am still offering my mirror site. I just need to get the video through irc or some other way...

ShadowM8
06-28-2003, 07:22 AM
ajouvenat i said if anyone needs the file contact me and we will figure out how i can give it to you, PM me or e-mail or ICQ me ................. so we can arrange how to transfer the file

Stimpy
06-28-2003, 09:12 AM
maybe you should look into bittorrent or some other form of p2p to get huge files like this to a large group of people.

rayguo
06-28-2003, 09:16 AM
i cant download it!
the link doesnt work!
help!!

ThomasMahler
06-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by rayguo
i cant download it!
the link doesnt work!
help!!

Thought about READING the Thread, instead of complaining?

rayguo
06-28-2003, 11:09 AM
sorry, but i still dont know how to make the link work! :(

lildragon
06-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Those that have the file please pm or email

dmeyer http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=20466
ajouvenat http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=41262
Brassfire http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=29994
Etchy http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=33141
kmachine has supplied ftp info
68.107.152.136, on port 27779
user: cgtalk
pass: cgtalk

-lild

ajouvenat
06-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by rayguo
sorry, but i still dont know how to make the link work! :(

If you actualy read through the posts here, you would have discovered that he ran out of bandwidth. We are trying to get a mirror up, but until then you need to be patient and wait.

EDIT: I am currently downloading the large version. I will post here when I am done uploading it to my site.

jussing
06-28-2003, 11:41 AM
God, this place rocks... so many people struggling to get one fellow CGTalker's demo reel online... Touching... *sniff* Where else would you find that? :applause:

toma
06-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Hey all,

erff... how is that there is stil no mirror ? I see that some people have been able to view the reel when it first was hosted on VFS server (poor server :D)

Now those people are gone from the internet ? Blahh... sorry can't believe it. So SHARE YOUR FILES ! I can provide 4 different places to host the movie on fast hosting, so PLEASE PM me to setup a FTP transfer.

PS : no news from you Berserker ? erf ... that's not really good. Just posted the reel link here and went to holidays ?

Yes, that MUST be that...

EDIT : I'm currently downloading from kmachine FTP server. As soon as I get the file, I upload it to 4 different places mentionned above.
Stay tuned...

lildragon
06-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Toma you kick arse bud, much appreciated.

and yes it's strange that he just disappeared, imagine if a potential employer was asking a question :hmm:

Jussing: That's why we're known as a "cg family" ;) pretty cool huh? and it's not the first time

-lild

toma
06-28-2003, 12:00 PM
hehe maybe we can answear in his name then... That's a good point, I'm currently looking for another job, so let's redirect his mail on mine ;)

Anyway, I'm getting the file at 28 kB/s, transfer finished in 11 minutes, then I have to upload it on my accounts, and it may be a little bit longer as my upload bandwidth is quite narrow (16 kB).

Unfortunately I could not FXP to those servers or this would have saved a lot of time.

MIRROR

MIRROR #1 (http://fileserver1.free.fr/PeterHogan_DemoReel_Big2.avi)
MIRROR #2 (http://frazalakon.free.fr/PeterHogan_DemoReel_Big2.avi)
MIRROR #3 (http://tartopoms.free.fr/PeterHogan_DemoReel_Big2.avi)

See you soon :)
toma.

ajouvenat
06-28-2003, 12:14 PM
OK here it is. I was having trouble with my ftp server so you all can grab it via html.

http://ajouvenat.fewl.net/cgtalk_reels/PeterHogan_DemoReel_Big2.avi

This reel is truly amazing! Great work Peter, keep it way, way up :buttrock:

Reminder to everyone, this is a TEMPORARY mirror. It will not be around forever. If the link is dead, that means I had to pull it down for a good reason (IE, no more bandwidth, or plug is long gone).

Hollis J Wood
06-28-2003, 12:21 PM
thats kool man I have been wanting to go there for a while but am putting my wife through school right now.

Franc
06-28-2003, 12:52 PM
:thumbsup:

altermind
06-28-2003, 01:41 PM
neat...... should not be to hard to get work in vancouver...... they do have a "few" game companies there :P

kmachine
06-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Sorry all that my ftp speed is kinda slow... my upload pipe is throttled to 35k. I tried to mirror it on my web host but to my surprise I have a 15 meg file limit there....would have been very good speed. Again, I apologize for the slow speed for those that grabbed it from my box.

kmachine

rayguo
06-28-2003, 02:54 PM
hi lildragon
thank you very much!!
the ftp is a big resource of cg
and thanks ajouvenat
that link work very well

Cyberdigitus
06-28-2003, 04:20 PM
WOW! Wonderful modeling, and a very focused and beautifully executed reel. Keep it up!

ADiSH
06-28-2003, 04:41 PM
very impressive :thumbsup:
:applause:

Boxcarwilli
06-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks to all for the mirrors. :) After finally seeing this, it only adds to my inspiration. Good quality work, as well as cool approach to the reel from a gamers POV.

Pent
06-28-2003, 06:46 PM
very nice.

dmeyer
06-28-2003, 06:50 PM
A Mac-playable MOV version here:

www.dmeyerdesign.com/PeterHogan_DemoReel_Big2.mov

Asorson
06-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Excellent Reel! The content and presentation are top notch.

But if you want to work in games why have you concentrated on high poly models? The majority of games do not have pre-rendered cinematics anymore, and the few that do usually farm the work out to 3rd party studios such as Blur, or have seperate cinematics dept like Blizzard. These are usually staffed by CG veterans from the early days of games when cinematics were more prominent, or from the film and broadcast studios, not fresh college grads.

The other 90% of game artists make realtime low polygon models. Some people find low poly modeling very rewarding because of the technical challenge it presents. It requires as much problem solving as it does creativity. Others find it to be restrictive and not very enjoyable. If you get a job in games you are most likley going to be making low poly models all day long so it would be in your best interest to familiarize yourself with low poly modeling and see if it's something that interests you.

Best of luck.

JoeW
06-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Some really beautiful models there, Peter - great detail and sweet texturing!

I agree with the above comments...

Contrary to popular belief, low-poly modeling is a lot more difficult than it looks, and any potential game company employers are REALLY going to notice sweet looking low-poly stuff - I know, I work as a game artist.

You might just take the models that you have already and do some poly reduction and clean-up on them (that's what I'd do) -then add them to your reel showing the "hi-res" and "low-res" models.

Best of luck to you,

JoeW

CENOBITE
06-29-2003, 01:05 AM
Your models are great... WOW, but the real star is the compositing of the demo reel! Man, that is some sweet polished sh*t! The transitions as well as the effects... very well done.

Berserker
06-29-2003, 01:27 AM
:wavey:
First off, wow, I didn't expect such a huge response!
I have to thank Will Bates for calling me, because yes, I am on vacation!! (The first time I've been out of my house or VFS in a year!) Of course, I have to thank everyone (especially lil d) that hosted my demo reel, nobody would see it without your help!

I think you may already know, but that building mentioned at the begining of this thread was a semi-low poly adobe. it was more of a texturing example, and you can see it in the smaller version of my reel. (If i didn't post any pictures on my site, I will soon.)

As for the low poly VS high, I do agree most games are made with very low poly models, but now technoloy used in upcomming games like DOOM3 will use the detail of very high poly models, mapped onto low poly ingame models. This is idealy what I want to do profesionally.
(btw poly counts are approx: m2k 60k, hera 30k, alien 40k, paige 30k)

well, i dont have much time I'm at a little web cafe in whistler village (we hope we'll get 2010 the olympics!) so thanks everyone for their interest and support! I'll be back home tommorow.

~Peter
peterhogan@shaw.ca

Blackhorse
06-29-2003, 02:02 AM
see, the VFS is building some excellent artist of CG.

Rhino169
06-29-2003, 06:15 AM
:applause: Great work! The poses were excellent and the detail on the characters and the vehicle was superb.

Can't wait to see more.....

Massoud
06-29-2003, 11:54 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

skyeywei
06-29-2003, 12:49 PM
very nice ! great work.:buttrock:

http://artistix.us/viewtopic.php?p=...488a5c6f480#314

Mattrne
06-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Thats a nice reel, as everyone has said, but a few things I would say you need to look at, along with making some low poly models, is actually getting them animated (if you want to do characters which it would appear you do) which means vertex weighting, not using clever rigs and bulge deformers etc, plus it would be interesting to see what resolution your textures are.

I'm a character modeller for Sony Playstation and one of the things we are constantly trying to do, is build characters which not only look good, but deform nicely too. The looking good thing is a tradeoff between mesh complexity and texture resolution. On PS2 and other consoles to a lesser extent, texture memory is very limited, so if you can demonstrate good texel rates on your models, along with good modelling skills, you'd be doing yourself a huge favour.

If you wanna PM me, we can have a chat about stuff like this in more detail if you want.

SEPHROTH64
06-29-2003, 06:57 PM
dldin it now =D

It_ Girl
06-30-2003, 03:11 AM
hey wow that alien looks SO GOOD! why does it have a stumpy tail though? is it a new and improved alien? the girls kind of remind me of the alien, are they supposed to be similar for continuity?

Berserker
06-30-2003, 07:23 PM
My VFS account has been unlocked, so the links to my demo reel, (and web space) should work now, there are a bunch of images up there if ya wanna check em out.

It_Girl: Very good eye, because yes, all the characters have very slight similarities. The alien has a stumpy tail, because I was planning on animating it, and the tail whipping around, although very cool, would take too long to animate well. It was a tough decision, but I didn't want to spend very long animating since I want to stay focused more on modeling and texturing :p

Mattme: I agree, and my next character is probably going to be for UT, which I think should be around 3000 polys. The original Photoshop files for the textures are 4096x4096, which were scaled to 1024x1024 for the full rotations, and 2048x2048 for close-ups.

JoeW: Yeah, it might be faster to just optimize one of my models now, instead of building a whole new one... I'll probably do both.
:wip:

Mattrne
06-30-2003, 07:28 PM
1024 * 1024 is huge! We're dealing with cutscene characters who have (if we're lucky) a couple of 256 * 128 textures!

Even if you are planning to work on PC games, getting good detail from these very low res textures is good practice. I've been in the industry about 5 years now and have done ok, but some of the guys from around 10 - 15 years back in the age of 2d scrolling games just blow my socks off with the detail they can cram into tiny textures.

The trick is the smaller your textures the better cos then your engine can have space to think about flashy effects like bump mapping or specularity etc.

As a famous artist once said "Good textures can make a crappy model look awesome." :)

As far as optimising your model goes, from a personal point of view, automated mesh reduction tools suck in comparison to the good ole human eye. By selectively deleting edges and merging vertices, you can have much more control over where the detail is removed, thereby making your life easier when you come to bind your reduced mesh to a skeleton.

Berserker
06-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes, only the newest games have large textures like that. My demo reel does not have game models on it though. Those are high res meshes, so they're going to have high res textures. Otherwise it would just look like I was bad at texturing or something.

I agree, something that automatically reduces the poly count of a mesh just isn't the same as doing it your self. Thatís why I'm doing it myself. :)

Again, I see the industry is changing as companies use technology similar to that of DOOM3 where detail from a very high res mesh is mapped onto a low res game model. My reel (and VFS as a whole) is aimed at high res modeling, and high res texturing. I just hope a potential employer will see that at the very least, I kept my mesh all one object, and unwrapped everything into one texture projection. Compared to models for TV or film, my work is more low res.

Of course, like you said, low poly modeling is still going to be very important in the future for effects like bump mapping, so that's why my next project will be strictly low poly, with small texture maps.

ShadowM8
06-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey Berserker.

I've been seeing quite a few demo reels from VFS and most of them are modeling reels, is it safe so assume that VFS puts the emphasis on developing modeling skills?

Also VFS as CDIS both use XSI as their mainstream aaplication! Just wanted to know your oppinion about XSI and do you feel that it lowers your chances of getting a job since most of the game industry uses 3ds max maya or lightwave?

And the final question, for the vihicle i am not sure if its been said anywhere, i wonder how many polys it is?

Anyways great job, gives me high expectations for when i'll go to VFS!

db23
06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm not beserker but i'm a recent vfs grad so i can answer a few of those.

First, it is not safe to assume that vfs puts any emphasis on modeling skills. It just so happends that the modelers tend to post there work here more frequently than the animators, but most classes are split between modeling, animation and visual effects fairly evenly. There is no emphasis on one stream any more than there is another.

XSI is a great program for the most part, its easy to learn, and its a great modeling package. Debate-ably the best out there in terms of polygonal modeling (and certainly in direct competition with 3dsmax and lightwave). The industry is recognizing this fact and there are big companies now switching to XSI as their package of choice. Look at Valve and half-life 2.

Generally it will not harm your chances at employment since 95% of learning 3D is the concepts you use, not the software package. Once you know how to model/rig/animate - learning the software is a peice of cake. I recently taught myself the fundamentals of maya in and was very comfortable with most aspects of it in under a week.

ShadowM8
07-01-2003, 02:05 AM
Thanks danb_vfs!
As for XSI i have tried it myself and i do agree that it is a great program and really easy to learn but as for the power it offers i don't think its yet ready to compete with Lightwave or 3ds max in polygonal modeling but thats just my oppinion!
But i liked its workflow much more fluent so to say! And i just love the rendering engine :)

koity
07-02-2003, 10:34 AM
:D Love your textures pete. This is Chien ko.
I think you did it~ everthing looks professional..
Too bad the snowing landscape and the house didn't work.
Your M2k apc is more detailed than most of your characters~
I just love your attention to details on the vehicle.
Good job~~:thumbsup:

Berserker
07-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Koity: Thanks, It's so much easier when you have a model kit to work from like I did for that M2K.

Danb_vfs: Half Life 2 is my favorite "look what XSI can do" example too. ;)

ShadowMB: The vehicle is around 60,000 polys.

CENOBITE: Thanks, not many people realise how much compositing work went into this. It's not super hard stuff, but there were lots and lots of adjustment layers, masks, etc.

dmeyer: Thanks for posting the Quicktime version for Macs! I'm sorry I didn't test the original movie I posted. I just assumed QT would play anything.

Rhino169: I knew I had to have good poses, since I wasn't going to animate the characters for this reel. I'm glad they turned out well, thanks!

dmeyer
07-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
dmeyer: Thanks for posting the Quicktime version for Macs! I'm sorry I didn't test the original movie I posted. I just assumed QT would play anything.

No problem. QuickTime will play AVI's in general, but not AVIs using Mpeg4 Codec. Mpeg4 only lives within MOV files on the Mac side, and conversely only within AVI files on the wintel side.

:shrug:

Feel free to post that link on your initial post for maximum cross-platform action!

Berserker
07-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks again dmeyer, I put the link on the first post. Now my brother can check out my reel on his iBook ;)

pablov
07-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Hey Peter,

Impresive, man.
Good job.:buttrock: :buttrock:

lildragon
07-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Nothing more to say ;) and do keep me informed cool?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_july03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

It_ Girl
07-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Wow congrats!:beer:

Berserker
07-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Hi, just wanted to let everyone know I put up a website. I've got lots of images up there, so check it out at:

http://www.vfs.com/~peterhogan/

karl
07-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi does anyone have a mirror still for the video as I really want to see it, but most of them are down now?

Cheers

Berserker
07-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey Karl, I posted a working link. Thanks for pointing those dead links out.

summeralive
07-27-2003, 05:38 PM
u are strong!!!:buttrock:
try some more action!

nomad_girl
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
hey pete--

i have tried several times over the past few weeks to download your stuff but the links were always dead-- i work on a mac at home so i do not have the "save target as" option-- (hey i cannot help it i was born into this computer world on a macintosh!!)

you know---if you email tech they will unlock those urls for you in a matter of minutes.....

look forward to seeing it--

:)

Berserker
07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
I too started out on a Mac :beer:
(The original beige G3 actually.)

There must be an option similar to "Save Target As..."
For now, I changed the link. I hope that works, but I'm not sure if it will.

As for tech, I know its easy to get the file unlocked, the problem is i don't think its locked in the first place. When this was on the front page, I couldn't acces my files at all. I have no problem right now, so perhaps this is a Mac only problem?

I'm on messenger as b_zerker@hotmail.com, I can send ya the file from there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.