PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Core e-mail !?!

Larry_g1s
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I just received this e-mail from NT with the link here: http://www.newtek.com/core/ and a countdown...news about v10???

Anyone else?

cresshead
01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
quite exciting....igreat way to get people talking about newtek and what the dickens their upto with this..count down to a new app i'm hoping!...lightwave x or lightwave core!

icedeyes
01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Here is to hoping they rewrote the core again... I love lightwave but its just getting more plugin based in every version thus more unstable... Oh... And better character animation tools (for consistency with the rest of the industry)... I own lightwave but i have stepped away from it because of the aforementioned reasons (not that the alternatives are that much better but at least they have a consistent incosistency:D)...

Sadly none of they above are likely to happen anytime soon.

fktt
01-23-2009, 01:34 AM
heh, the last line of that page's html source has got an easter egg in it:

<!-- If you can figure out the phrase in the graphic, please visit ***** =D -->
:beer:

edit:

decided I probably shouldn't include the whole thing here...

ThE_JacO
01-23-2009, 01:44 AM
more than a bit of a stretch would be required to consider this news outside the newtek forums I'm afraid :)

FreakWizz
01-23-2009, 01:53 AM
more than a bit of a stretch would be required to consider this news outside the newtek forums I'm afraid :)

Nah your correct, the Nvidia spam and usual Autodesk whining makes for much better news posts.... ;)

chewedon
01-23-2009, 01:58 AM
So it comes out in 12 days, 18 hours, 54 minutes ? :)

Is there a Linux version ? :D

R10k
01-23-2009, 02:26 AM
It's code for, 'Autodesk buyout'.

cresshead
01-23-2009, 12:27 PM
It's code for, 'Autodesk buyout'.

yeah could be...newtek buying autodesk woudl be a great step forward!

01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.newtek.com/core/message.php

more cryptic message :p

TopherMartini
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
EDIT: someone got to the punch line quicker :thumbsup:

blenderhead
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Nah your correct, the Nvidia spam and usual Autodesk whining makes for much better news posts.... ;)

Yeah no. A thread started about some speculative email (regardless of what software it is) in CG News would typically be locked on sight. Any of those threads you are referring to actually started with a news story.

colkai
01-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Yeah, I'm amazed it even reached this particular board! :twisted:

Now, talk about lewd adverts, that makes for far more relevant and important discussions. :eek:

crayne
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I think it says: "cross the threshold" - i'm not sure about the "t" though...
(I always fall for this kind of things :))

geothefaust
01-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Sadly none of they above are likely to happen anytime soon.

That's where you're wrong. If you keep up with what's going on with Lightwave, it's easy to know. Jay Roth and Chuck have both said that they were developing LW9 and LWX at the same time. They would put in tools and advancements from X into 9 when and where they could.

Jay has personally said a number of times that they have been rewriting the core. So, there is no guesswork here at all.

Anyway, I'm digging this new viral approach they are taking. It's certainly more aggressive then previous adverts from NT. :)

Venkman
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Anyway, I'm digging this new viral approach they are taking. It's certainly more aggressive then previous adverts from NT. :)

It's way more fun, too! When Blizzard did it, it drove people crazy with anticipation. Squaresoft is doing the same thing for a Final Fantasy XIII reveal.

It's just a fun way to build anticipation, and IMO, it really makes you feel a little more connected with the company that does it. :thumbsup:

fktt
01-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I think it says: "cross the threshold" - i'm not sure about the "t" though...
(I always fall for this kind of things :)) if its flipped it means its capital letter. :)

mosconariz
01-24-2009, 01:28 AM
11 days, 19 minutes, I can't wait! :deal:

lorigosolo
01-24-2009, 03:22 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OOohhh man cain't wait to see what Newtek is cooking!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

tfortier
01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Wow, I really wish its true... a new fresh from scratch lightwave 10!

God know they need a severe update for get back in the competition.

Hehe 2009 will be interesting; Running LW 10 on Win7.

Lets go newtek! show us you can do it!

ngrava
01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Did you guys click on the red button? it leads to a page with a flash based jigsaw puzzle. It only takes a few minutes to solve. It's a photo of some engineers discussing some diagrams on a whiteboard. I was all excited about solving it because I thought there was going to be some clues written on the board. But as far as I could see, it just standard buzzwords with arrows and boxes. Mostly it just looks like user interface design stuff. Interesting none the less. ;) The only thing that gets me is that once you do solve the puzzle, it instantly whisks you off to another page with a silly image of a woman holding a sign. And no, the sign doesn't divulge anything more then what we already new.

Here's to getting your hopes up!

FreakWizz
01-24-2009, 07:53 AM
The Photo mentioned C.O.R.E (Centralized Object Referencing Engine) which is obviously a large part of the announcement.

cresshead
01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
newtek actually doing some cool viral marketing don't ya think!

ctguitars
01-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Did you guys click on the red button? it leads to a page with a flash based jigsaw puzzle. It only takes a few minutes to solve. It's a photo of some engineers discussing some diagrams on a whiteboard. I was all excited about solving it because I thought there was going to be some clues written on the board. But as far as I could see, it just standard buzzwords with arrows and boxes. Mostly it just looks like user interface design stuff. Interesting none the less. ;) The only thing that gets me is that once you do solve the puzzle, it instantly whisks you off to another page with a silly image of a woman holding a sign. And no, the sign doesn't divulge anything more then what we already new.

Here's to getting your hopes up!

Yes,

But if you screen grab the photo of the girl with the cardboard sign you will see an added piece of cardboard taped onto bottom right of main cardboard. Load the grab into a graphic app and brighten the picture. You can see this added bit of cardboard has a message BUT ITS BLURRED. Anyway on unblurring???

aidan

Vojislav+Milanovic
01-24-2009, 10:20 PM
vevy vevy intevesting...

philnolan3d
01-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Yes,

But if you screen grab the photo of the girl with the cardboard sign you will see an added piece of cardboard taped onto bottom right of main cardboard. Load the grab into a graphic app and brighten the picture. You can see this added bit of cardboard has a message BUT ITS BLURRED. Anyway on unblurring???

Huh? I see all of this right on the page. Of course I did try to tweak it in Photoshop anyway, but I didn't see anything that I couldn't see on the page before. Aside from a chair in the lower left that I didn't notice, but I doubt that's significant.

ngrava
01-25-2009, 06:57 AM
The Photo mentioned C.O.R.E (Centralized Object Referencing Engine) which is obviously a large part of the announcement.

That's what I was refering to when I said "Buzzwords". I probebly should have said "Hyperbole" instead. Yes, obviously it means something for sure. Just not to us. ;)

geothefaust
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
If any one is interested, there is more going on today.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=813913

chewedon
01-27-2009, 02:57 AM
I think the Lightwave fans have gone nuts waiting for a worthwhile release of Lightwave for years. It's gone to their head.

They're throwing guesses of the meaning, every little pixel they can see on a photograph of what seems to be two people staring at a computer screen, possibly discussing the new Lightwave.

Some were saying Viking ontop of the monitor as meaning a more stricter license or being more aggressive to the competition ?

It's just a viking toy the user of that monitor likes.

The only thing that I see from the photograph is just two people discussing the new Lightwave to show they are working on it and that they're not BS-ing ?

Sure they can think whatever they like, it's their brain. I'm just showing concern for them, because if the next Lightwave comes out dissapointing. . .it's gonna be one big fall.

R10k
01-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Relax- this is all just fun. In todays 3D world it's good to see developers having some fun and getting people excited, even if it is for no good reason. Enjoy it while it lasts.

bwtr
01-27-2009, 04:43 AM
R10k

It's amazing at all the stuff on various forums--which (damn) I am adding to!

A clever bit of tongue in cheek from NewTech.

BUT, it displays the level of people who have not been fully occupied at work!

At 76 I have an excuse--I think?

Brian

Phyrea
01-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Ahh, but us youngin's all have ADD, so that's our excuse.

I've gotta admit, this ad campaign from NewTek is awesome. It shows they've got a lot of faith in their next release, cause they know more than anyone what kind of s$!t storm they'll face if all the hype leads up to mediocre.

Besides, they've been quite clever with their puzzles. The whole milestones thing was brilliant.

ngrava
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
The thing is, It's going to disappoint some people no matter what. I mean hell, what I want is new UI and a procedural node based environment for deformers, modeling and shaders. all integrated and at the scene level (As opposed to what we have now which is basically a node based shading graph inside a special shader, on and object cutoff from the outside world.). But I bet that what we are really going to get is simply modeling tools inside of layout. Nothing more, nothing less. maybe a list based modefier stack if we are really lucky. I just can't see NewTek jumping that far into the future.

It would be really cool if they did but really... How could they really pull that off?!

cresshead
01-28-2009, 12:51 AM
wait n see!

i think it's a new app rather than an point update..but that's just a guess!

Phyrea
01-28-2009, 07:22 AM
I too find it hard to believe that they are ready to release a new "core" app that's an uber evolved LW. That's what it would take to enable the scene level node structure, unified Layout/Modeler with a modern UI, effective construction history and many of the other changes people are craving.

Yet, I find it quite peculiar that NewTek is going to all these lengths with the innuendos and hype-building. I've never seen it from them before - not to this extreme. At a time when many users on their forums were specifically asking NewTek to quell the over-ambitious expectations of v10, NewTek goes the opposite direction and blows them up even more. Either they are really stupid, or there's something mighty cool in the works.

Right now, the clues seem to hint that python scripting is almost certain. That alone begs the notion of a radically new core for LW.

ngrava
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I too find it hard to believe that they are ready to release a new "core" app that's an uber evolved LW. That's what it would take to enable the scene level node structure, unified Layout/Modeler with a modern UI, effective construction history and many of the other changes people are craving.

Yet, I find it quite peculiar that NewTek is going to all these lengths with the innuendos and hype-building. I've never seen it from them before - not to this extreme. At a time when many users on their forums were specifically asking NewTek to quell the over-ambitious expectations of v10, NewTek goes the opposite direction and blows them up even more. Either they are really stupid, or there's something mighty cool in the works.

Right now, the clues seem to hint that python scripting is almost certain. That alone begs the notion of a radically new core for LW.

True, it is very uncharacteristic of NewTek to do something like this. But it's not uncharacteristic for them to say, "This is the biggest, most amazing release for LightWave yet!"

About Python in LightWave: Actually, it's not that big of a deal to add Python to an app. Especially recently it's become even easer. Not that it's not a great thing that they are going to be doing that. It's just that I don't think you would need to rewrite the core in order to do it.

Personally, I can't imagine it being a whole new app. I think that starting from scratch at this point would be disastrous for NewTek. especially with the economy tanking like it is. Not to mention that way back when before v9.0, they said that it was going to be a gradual evolution of reworking the code to be more friendly and extensible and not a total rewrite like everyone was asking for. It's entirely possable that the plan has changed since then but I just don't think so.

Cheers!

colkai
01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
You have to remember, coding doesn't follow a simple "finish this, start that" rule.
I am currently dealing with 5 separate projects amongst which I share my time based on priorities. Maintaining old systems whilst writing new ones in far from uncommon in the software game.
Heck, I'd wager Lux were writing Modo whilst doing Lightwave, or did you think it would only take 6 months to write Modo from the ground up? Plus, that isn't counting work done in your "free time"! ;)

We know LW10, or whatever it will be called, has been written usign an SDK which is the same SDK Newtek are going to make available to the masses. So whatever they can code, so could 3rd parties. That alone is huge, but they have indicated Python is in the works before now and to be honest a unified core isn't much of a stretch after that.
I appreciate that there is a huge sense of skepticism around where LW is concerned, at least you'll only have to wait a little over a week to get some hints / news from Newtek themselves.

Whether you think Newtek can or will deliver I think is a different subject from whether the next version of LW will be radically different from its current incarnation. Which, truth be told, is a huge improvement even over LW9.0

Ubik
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I have some info and LW10 is a complete rewrite, and it has been in development for more than 3 years in parallel with LW9.x. I know few more things but it would be unfair to Newtek to break their countdown :) I can only say that 3D industry will be stunned aswell as people waiting for Newtek to release something tangible about LW10, and most certainly Newtek naysayers, they are in for a shock ^_^.

cresshead
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I have some info and LW10 is a complete rewrite, and it has been in development for more than 3 years in parallel with LW9.x. I know few more things but it would be unfair to Newtek to break their countdown :) I can only say that 3D industry will be stunned aswell as people waiting for Newtek to release something tangible about LW10, and most certainly Newtek naysayers, they are in for a shock ^_^.

intersting comment but i simply have to reply in a heavy starwars character accent>

"and who sa ,are you sa?"

are you in the 'know' or just adding spice to the mix in the pot?

bearfoot
01-28-2009, 10:48 AM
yikes really ??

I WANT TO BELIEVE :-)

ViCoX
01-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I don`t wanna sound cheesy, but that total re-write thing sounds little sci-fi. : )
It would be great, though.

fxgogo
01-28-2009, 12:22 PM
could it possibly be that lightwave is going open source???? That would stun me.

R10k
01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
...and most certainly Newtek naysayers, they are in for a shock

It's going to have a ViewCube, isn't it?

chewedon
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
7 days left, the core page is shaking as if it's almost about to burst.

EXCITING ! :)

(sarcasm :D)

wonderpup
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Having been burned in the past by Newtek overselling it's product I am a little skeptical- but to run a campaign like this does imply they have something a bit special to show. I really hope it's true- since XSI has now been assimilated I am ready to jump back on the Lightwave train if they can offer a truly modern alternative- and I suspect a number of other ex lightwave users would do likewise- this could be the perfect time for NT to make it's play- here's hoping.

colkai
01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I am ready to jump back on the Lightwave train if they can offer a truly modern alternative- and I suspect a number of other ex lightwave users would do likewise- this could be the perfect time for NT to make it's play- here's hoping.

For sure, I can already imagine the backlash if they don't deliver something totally different to what we have now. By the same token, I think you're right that if they do get it right, it may make many look again at LW.

Larry_g1s
01-28-2009, 05:56 PM
By the same token, I think you're right that if they do get it right, it may make many look again at LW.A solid 3D app. at a competitive price point, in an economy where every dollar matters, I agree!

Phyrea
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
About Python in LightWave: Actually, it's not that big of a deal to add Python to an app. Especially recently it's become even easer. Not that it's not a great thing that they are going to be doing that. It's just that I don't think you would need to rewrite the core in order to do it.
I guess I'm assuming that if they added it, the implementation would be better and have deeper access than LScript. A mistake on my part, perhaps. It is certainly possible that it's only a surface implementation that has all the same limitations.

I'm still excited, though. I agree that the marketing statements of "it's the best lightwave yet" have always tried to gloss over the sometimes mediocre releases. The latest release of 9.6 is a solid piece of work - it would have been deserving of the marketing statement.

Cageman
01-28-2009, 07:44 PM
I guess I'm assuming that if they added it, the implementation would be better and have deeper access than LScript. A mistake on my part, perhaps. It is certainly possible that it's only a surface implementation that has all the same limitations.

I'm still excited, though. I agree that the marketing statements of "it's the best lightwave yet" have always tried to gloss over the sometimes mediocre releases. The latest release of 9.6 is a solid piece of work - it would have been deserving of the marketing statement.

Hmm... I would have to say that each release during 9.x has been better compared to the previous release. LW9.5 is the exception because of instability and broken tools/features (but still a hell of a lot better compared to 9.3.1 in the rendering/lighting department). 9.6 is really good and IS the best LW-release so far. :)

Looking forward to see what NT are going to announce in about a week. :)

ivanze
01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
What Ubik says!!

Ubik
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
are you in the 'know' or just adding spice to the mix in the pot?

Yes, I'm in the 'know' :), though not directly.

Maybe someone braver than me will step in with some more info, I'm scared of Newtek vengeance :)

mav3rick
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
using lw for decade and i have to say new dev team and latest release 9.6 is proof that newtek look serious this time round.. they have very talented young dev team that work with big passion on lightwave. newtek communication to community have changed dramaticly in past few years and until lw 10 get yourself 9.6 copy and be sure you will not be dissapointed... it gives you so much for money and it really has a great render quality and speed not to tell all other great new features.
ah yes and now you can choose inside lw wich render you want to use . so for example if you own a copy of kray (kraytracing.com) you can set it as default native renderer now.

Larry_g1s
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Maybe someone braver than me will step in with some more info, I'm scared of Newtek vengeance :)As much as I'd like to know, let NT have there fun. If it's as good as it seems, they deserve it. ;)

Arkat
01-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Maybe someone braver than me will step in with some more info, I'm scared of Newtek vengeance :)

I would have thought anyone who knew anything would be under somekind of NDA, so unlikely to say anything more :shrug: .

Let's hope they are like you and want to talk :D

BackForRenderin
01-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Now there's a short video interview.

This bit was interesting:

"we also have some new developments that are coming out that, we've just been started leaking and talkin' to people about and we got some whole new technology that makes doing 3d not only faster and easier but, just really removes the limits, it sort of takes the shackles off us so, we're hoping that history will prove us right and people will really love what they're about to see."

To see the video interview go here:

http://www.newtek.com/core/

and on your keyboard hold down the "l" key and press the "w" key. (as in lw for LightWave)

Nemoid
01-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Actually the countdown page is very sci fi looking :D

This countdown teasing marketing approach is creating great expectations.
If what Ubik is saying is true, we'll see something great. If i's not , many people could also feel disappointed.
But i'm quite confident Newtek has actually something cool to unveil. :)

I don`t wanna sound cheesy, but that total re-write thing sounds little sci-fi. : )
It would be great, though.

LW3D
01-29-2009, 05:14 PM
here is the video

http://www.vimeo.com/3003465

Now there's a short video interview.

This bit was interesting:

"we also have some new developments that are coming out that, we've just been started leaking and talkin' to people about and we got some whole new technology that makes doing 3d not only faster and easier but, just really removes the limits, it sort of takes the shackles off us so, we're hoping that history will prove us right and people will really love what they're about to see."

To see the video interview go here:

and on your keyboard hold down the "l" key and press the "w" key. (as in lw for LightWave)

philnolan3d
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Actually both are interesting. You may note that they both each used the words stack and history in their responses.

Larry_g1s
01-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Check out the page now & fill out the form!!!

Phyrea
01-30-2009, 04:55 AM
First screenshot posted... at least, we pressume it's a screenshot.

http://newtek.com/core/screen.html

Looks like the new "core" is skinable. And Linux is pretty much a lock too, based on all the clues and signup form.

XminusOne
01-30-2009, 06:04 AM
So what does this have to do with anything?

Swizzle
01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
I haven't used Lightwave in a few years, but this has got me interested again. I wonder if they're going to integrate Modeler and Layout into a single workspace.

scrawford
01-30-2009, 06:32 AM
i think thats pretty much a lock considering the latest screen shows modeler tools and a rigs schematic.

i would rather they didnt spin so much time on skins though. i dont care how it looks i just want it to perform

ngrava
01-30-2009, 06:38 AM
@XminusOne: aparently, someone found out that there is an astroid named "John Cleese"... As in Monty Python... As in Python scripting. ;)

So, that screen shot eh? First thing I noticed that might not be obvious (although totally expected) is that while you see modeling commands on the left, the top view holds a scene graph. So yes, modeling and animating in the same app. As expected. :D Second thing is the web browser view below. Whatever. :rolleyes:

BTW, I don't think linux has ever been an issue for NewTek. I think they just lacked the resources to support it. Actually, back in 97' (when I was working for Will Vinton Studios) I was in a video shown at Siggraph for Sun Microsystems that was showing off how Lightwave ran on SparkStations. We even ran it on SGI's now and then. Allen and Stuart built the original system to be totally cross platform. I'm pretty sure they have had the ability to do a linux build all this time. I bet the issue has more to do with how the heck they would support it more then anything. I beta test for another 3D program too (Under NDA) who have a Linux port that will probably never see the light of day due to the fact that they don't have enough time to hold everyones hand just installing the damn thing. :argh: You think it's bad trying to do support for Windows? Try supporting multiple custom kernels. Nuff said. :p

Blah, blah, blah... Sorry for wasting your time with this.

richcz3
01-30-2009, 06:58 AM
First screenshot posted... at least, we pressume it's a screenshot.

http://newtek.com/core/screen.html
If that's a screen shot of sorts - Looks like Modeler and Layout are unified or at the very least very comprehensive modeling tools enabled in Layout and a hint of CA.....

ldgree
01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Uow oO , where did u find this screenshot?
Skins in LW..

I am very anxious to see this new core xD

Nemoid
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
dunno if its a real screen shot of an actual UI, but it shows clearly a schematic view of a rig into a mdodeler interface, as well as a webpace opened into a viewport. look also at the Mode tab there...interesting isn't it? :D

skins and layout saving options are also required. the look of an app on the eye is important, both for users and for marketing purposals. If a thing is new it has to have a new look.

And, added to a good UI organization in the app out of the box, flexibility in UI management is fundamental (store layout, and more)

cresshead
01-30-2009, 12:22 PM
link
http://www.newtek.com/core/screen.html

note the title bar is 'thor' which tanstlates to 'roth' as jay roth is the head of the 3d division at newtek and that thor also relates to the other clue of a viking toy model in the photo of the desk with the 2 people looking at the dell lcd display

Larry_g1s
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Skinable...yeah, way cool.

geothefaust
01-30-2009, 07:11 PM
chewedon,

Just a toy eh? Wrong! :)

Looks like a lot of naysayers are going to be eating their own words real soon here.

robinmitra
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
lol this reminds me of the movie "the recruit" for some weird reasons...but hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds :D

VisualMonkey
01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Looking forward to whatever is happening.
More better tools :D

ctguitars
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM
So what does this have to do with anything?

Xminus,

When you get to that screen, mouse over it, Hold down L and simultaneously press W, should now see a video. Though you can do this procedure over the "Clock" also. On that graphic you posted - note the blurry blue dot is on the image from the previous page ... mmm!

Aidan

Doug816
01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Having been burned in the past by Newtek overselling it's product I am a little skeptical

Are you kidding? Can't you remember the LW8 Marketing. Look how many people NEEDED star sphere, It was one of the major feature videos. Just think of it, a new feature added to Lightwave--To make a sphere--out of stars. Sign me up.

artstorm
01-31-2009, 01:40 AM
It's getting closer.. :)
http://www.newtek.com/news/presscore.php

chewedon
01-31-2009, 08:10 AM
chewedon,

Just a toy eh? Wrong! :)

Looks like a lot of naysayers are going to be eating their own words real soon here.

OK, whatever you say :)

..__
/...o/
\___\ "It's just a viking toy the user of that monitor likes."
..| |

Cageman
01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
..__
/...o/
\___\ "It's just a viking toy the user of that monitor likes."
..| |

Hehe... some of the speculation has been quite wild imho, but very fun and enjoyable. :) The viking toy was a hint to Thor, which is the codname for LightWave Core. So, it wasn't "just a toy" in this case, because it was part of a clue.

:)

Limbus
02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I think the Lightwave fans have gone nuts waiting for a worthwhile release of Lightwave for years. It's gone to their head.

They're throwing guesses of the meaning, every little pixel they can see on a photograph of what seems to be two people staring at a computer screen, possibly discussing the new Lightwave.
Yeah, normal people with 3 hands. I think all newTek developers have 3. Makes them code faster.
;-)

BookMansBlues
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
they will be showing somthing very cool for Lightwave people, but I agree all the speculation is kinda silly. I know people who work at NT and even they have not seen what is going to be shown so I await with a calm not found amoung most of my fellow users because I know that just about everything they have speculated on is most likley wrong. :P

richcz3
02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
.... I know people who work at NT and even they have not seen what is going to be shown so I await with a calm not found amoung most of my fellow users because I know that just about everything they have speculated on is most likley wrong. :PEven if its wrong - the fact that Core is not known by NT folks as a whole renews my interest. Well - then again...the people you know and what their roles NT are play a role on disclosure. :)

Ollarin
02-02-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm afraid it's time to take extreme measures.

http://admiralra.googlepages.com/mission-impossiblecopy.jpg

Phyrea
02-02-2009, 11:15 PM
LightWave CORE will be revealed on Wednesday 4:00pm PST, 1:00pm EST here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newtek-core

Larry_g1s
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I got my e-mail....I'm there.

Lewis3D
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
So we get video stream, cool :). Good marketing NT, very good this time ;).

mosconariz
02-03-2009, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty confident we'll get a killer app with Layout and Modeler rewrited in one (http://newtek.com/core/screen.html) , python, linux and amazing tools that will freak out any autodesk monopoly hardcore-moron-sucker fan (http://www.changetowin.org/connect/moron.jpg) . You'll see, we, the Hazarders (http://newtek.com/core/avatar.jpg) in Newtek Community (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94254) were right and 3 headed cerberus (http://ihateautodesk.blogspot.com/) will shake his tail as a puppy:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/SPjhgcs-JdI/AAAAAAAACfg/l6MGajFfTKI/s400/Cerberus+as+puppy+on+reddit.jpg

mosconariz
02-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Good Night

http://k43.pbase.com/u36/traderboynh/large/23734695.pbase_nyc_18.jpghttp://images.autodesk.com/adsk/images/Bass-181px.jpg :rolleyes:

R10k
02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
...will freak out any autodesk monopoly hardcore-moron-sucker fan...

Okay, maybe time to calm down a wee bit. Yes, I know the sparklers and party hats are coming, but there's no need to start drooling and kicking the other boys in the legs for no apparent reason.

Lewis3D
02-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Okay, maybe time to calm down a wee bit. Yes, I know the sparklers and party hats are coming, but there's no need to start drooling and kicking the other boys in the legs for no apparent reason.

Agreed, let's make it civil and dignified, we don't really know what exactly will be revealed now. So keep it cool and enjoy in CORE :).

mosconariz
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Agreed, let's make it civil and dignified, we don't really know what exactly will be revealed now. So keep it cool and enjoy in CORE :).

Hehehe, sorry, I was a little ehm... enthusiastic maybe or, maybe a little agresive perhaps. Sorry again. In my country no one knows Lightwave; everyone uses maya. They study a year or so, they learn how to push the buttons and they send their portfolio in a DVD which isn't that good to be a cup base, cause they never learned to watch.

There's a lot of people being really presumptuous using maya till they compare the quality in the portfolios, so, yeah, I am a little mad with some maya users. And I have always been a monopoly hater. So, autodesk is something like the devil in earth for me. My intention was to have fun, but I turned to be a troll or something web-mythologic, sorry again and again. Let's party this 24 hours till the anouncement :rolleyes:

XminusOne
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
LightWave CORE will be revealed on Wednesday 4:00pm PST, 1:00pm EST here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newtek-core

A little OT here, but why flip the "e" in the logo....reads like cord now. I'll be watching:)

cresshead
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
A little OT here, but why flip the "e" in the logo....reads like cord now. I'll be watching:)

happy now?...comic sans version so it's simple to read...this is the lite version for those who'd struggle with the power in the full versions!

i AM amazed at people struggling with a reversed 'e' but are totally fine without the 'o' in core!..which is replaced with a squiggly, squirly, spiky logo that looks like NO letter in a
the alphabet at all!...looks more like the @ than anything else!

:)

http://www.cresshead.com/lwcore_banner.jpg

Phyrea
02-04-2009, 08:06 AM
It's hard to say if the logo actually means anything... but if it is going to be used, I'd have to assume that NewTek has heard enough of people not liking the flipped 'e' to fix it.

And yeah, Cress, the @ LW symbol doesn't exactly make a good O either. I'm thinking the whole CORE logo is just being used for fanfare at the moment.

Guess we'll find out later today.

mosconariz
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
http://static.ustream.tv/images/uphoto_file/6/6/8/6/668623/th/smalls2_120_668623_avatar1.jpg

I like the C@RЭ logo

mosconariz
02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
They've changed it: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newtek-core

I'l miss the C@RЭ logo :p

Phyrea
02-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Yep, it didn't take long for NewTek to take the hint. They sure have gotten better about listening to their users. :wise:

richcz3
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Hmmm bandwidth hits on Newteks forums? and the Upstream site shows the Core logo but i tnow says Off Air......:curious:

richcz3
02-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Times expired...........

Newteks site or forums wont load Load Page Error

and Ustream.....

One......Moment.

In other news....
Autodesk has an acquisition announcement to make...

biliousfrog
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
well...Ustream is now off air

I was expecting an anticlimax but this is worse!

ngrava
02-05-2009, 02:08 AM
There may have been a stream but I have a feeling that not many people saw it.

BTW: http://www.newtek.com/core/ has a lot more information on it now. check out the fill FAQ for detailed info. Still no screen shots though (except the original one that we all saw).

chewedon
02-05-2009, 04:52 AM
So what was the really big thing they were hinting at ?

Something never seen before that'll blow your minds away ?

It runs on Linux, that's great news :D

ngrava
02-05-2009, 07:36 AM
The thing is, It's going to disappoint some people no matter what. I mean hell, what I want is new UI and a procedural node based environment for deformers, modeling and shaders. all integrated and at the scene level (As opposed to what we have now which is basically a node based shading graph inside a special shader, on and object cutoff from the outside world.). But I bet that what we are really going to get is simply modeling tools inside of layout. Nothing more, nothing less. maybe a list based modefier stack if we are really lucky. I just can't see NewTek jumping that far into the future.

It would be really cool if they did but really... How could they really pull that off?!

You know, I really have to say I'm very happy I was wrong about this. :) It looks like this is exactly what we are getting (I would have been right if I was guess that that's what they where actually going to do. ;D) And more! It's pretty exciting stuff. Python scripting with SWIG is pretty cool. That means that it's built automatically from the C++ SDK. Theoretically that means we'll have access to the same things inside the code that the C++ developers have. Much better then what I was hoping for. There's a whole lot more too.

To tell you the truth, it sounds a little to good to be true. I mean, It's sounds exactly like Houdini or something. If they do it right, it's going to be intense. I really have to just wait and see.

robinmitra
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
for anyone who has missed the core streams, its also been recorded at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newtek-coreii

ngrava
02-06-2009, 04:39 AM
for anyone who has missed the core streams, its also been recorded at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newtek-coreii

Nope. Still says "Off Air". But, if you want to see the video it's Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkQO5l5PJA&feature=related) on Youtube. But be warned, it's supper basic and supper amateurish.

robinmitra
02-07-2009, 12:56 AM
Nope. Still says "Off Air". But, if you want to see the video it's Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkQO5l5PJA&feature=related) on Youtube. But be warned, it's supper basic and supper amateurish.

It does work mate! You just have to click on the first recorded vid from NewTek's Video Clips...Or, simply go to: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1123019

Agreed, NewTek didnt do justice to the vid.....Could've been more professional rather than a school project video lol

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2009, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.