PDA

View Full Version : Detach part of a biped rig?

shiva14b
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
So I'm rigging a skeleton that someone else set up with a regular 3Ds max character studio biped, and I'm having trouble with the characters dress. The original animator set up tail bones for the back of the dress, and ponytail links (which i thought was pretty clever) for the front of it. The problem is that no matter where you place the bones, they ponytail is still linked (parented, whatever) to the head, so when the head moves... so goes the front of the dress.

How can I solve this issue? I've tried playing around with animation attachment commands, but no dice.

This isn't the first time I've tried to unhook certain parts of a biped rig, or attach them to other parts (my poor centaur still can't move her human torso and hind legs together), but i've never been able to figure it out before.

TechnicallyArtistic
01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Are you trying to just get rid of the ones there or move them? The way I've always seen it done in max is either somebody adds in a whole new biped as a child for extra parts, or the add on a regular joint chain to the biped.

Never actually rigged it up myself that way in Max, but animated a few rigs I was given like that so I know it's possible at least.

PEN
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Why not just deleting them and then use Max bones to create them.

shiva14b
01-27-2009, 02:58 PM
@Pen
Yeah I was going to go ahead and create new bones if I had to, but I was hoping there was some other way... the rig and everything is already done, all verts weighted, and we're behind schedule, so I was really hoping there was a way to fix what I already had instead of recreating it >_<.

@EvilTheCat:
That's what I tried to do with my centaur (add on a second biped for the extra parts), but how do I link the two bipeds so they'll move together? Attachment constraints and whatnot don't work.

shiva14b
01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

3DS Max 2009 has this nifty little "Xtras" thing down at the bottom of the figure menu... problem solved, didn't disturb any of my keyframes or vert weightings.

(still doesn't help me attach two biped models together, but thats not important right now)

TechnicallyArtistic
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm a little rusty on my Max rigging stuff, but I think you just link the bip01's together. Like link bip01 to bip02, Bip02 drives everything.

I'm guessing you tried that though?

shiva14b
01-28-2009, 03:32 PM
well i tried all the different constrains in the animation menu... is there another way to do it?

TechnicallyArtistic
01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
just linking the objects together the regular way without using constraints doesn't work?

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.