PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Tutorial -> Beta Version Ships!

Flashfire
06-27-2003, 03:46 AM
For those of you who have followed the development progress of my E-Book tutorial, Landscapes and Lightwave over at the LWG forums, I am happy to announce that the beta edition, which will be the public downloadable version of the tutorial, has shipped to the control group.

These individuals will assist me in fixing any spelling or grammatical errors, as well as work through the tutorial ensuring the highest possible standard is maintained throughout the project.

Please Note: I do not require any more people on the Beta team, so please do not ask to join the crew. The public release will follow the beta period in approximately three weeks time.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the tutorial in question, allow me to highlight some of the things you will see in the public release:

1. Planning and creation of Heightmaps
2. Creation of High Poly Terrain Models
3. Creation of Low Poly Terrain Models
4. Complex Surface Breakdowns
5. Planning and Preparing Textures via Photoshop
6. Applying The Textures w/ Complex Surfacing via Layout
7. Multiple Sky Environment Generation Methods*
8. Creating a Complex Water Plane**

* - This chapter in the tutorial includes a comprehensive manual on how and why Skytracer2 works, as well as an OGO_Taiki manual, written by myself, in native English, that is more understandable than the translated readme file accompanying the zipfile.

** - This chapter examines adding Depth Attenuation for pre 7.5c installations of Lightwave. Also fully explores methods for generating foamy wave breaks, sea spray and displacement wakes for moving elements in the water plane.

For those who would like to read the enitire development thread, you can visit the 35 page, 856 post thread by click the link below:

Landscapes and Lightwave @ LWG Forums (http://www.lwg3d.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11548)

Upcoming Chapters in the Special Edition CDrom (retail) release include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. Grass and other vegetation such as weeds and flowers
2. UV mapped Trees of various shapes and sizes, with UV mapped leaves
3. Adding clutter, ie: rocks, dirt piles, deadfall, etc to the terrain
4. Creating underwater definition to augment the Depth Attenuation of the ocean
5. Real-world lighting and shadows
6. Image Filters and Camera Options such as DOF and Blur
7. Adding weather effects to terrain scene
8. Implementing Manmade structures to your terrain, adding PFX waterfalls, etc...

This edition of the CD rom will be available in late September, early October. Announcements will be made at selected forums around the internet when it goes gold.

I hope you all enjoy my Opus...

EDIT: I should go on record saying that while the final size of the zipped archive has not yet been seen, the current non-corrected beta zipfile is 153 megs... 200 megs once uncompressed. I'll let others extoll the virtues of the information contained in it...

Cheers!

digitalshaman
06-27-2003, 09:09 AM
1. Grass and other vegetation such as weeds and flowers
2. UV mapped Trees of various shapes and sizes, with UV mapped leaves
3. Adding clutter, ie: rocks, dirt piles, deadfall, etc to the terrain
4. Creating underwater definition to augment the Depth Attenuation of the ocean
5. Real-world lighting and shadows
6. Image Filters and Camera Options such as DOF and Blur
7. Adding weather effects to terrain scene
8. Implementing Manmade structures to your terrain, adding PFX waterfalls, etc...

So the CD has some damn cool tutes on it too, how come u dont make these downloadable?

anyway will the cd be availablein the uk?

Thanks for your hard work :)

Nemoid
06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
I read a lot of the thread dedicated to your tutorial!

i have to say u did a very hard job. can't wait for the final release!
at the end, how can we have it? download? or u send the cd in Europe too?'
let us know more...:thumbsup:

aurora
06-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I've been following that thread for many moons and am excited to see it finally coming together for you. You have put ALOT of work into this project and stayed very open to your followers with it. You have my highest admiration for that kind of dedication!

Flashfire
06-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by: DigitalShaman
So the CD has some damn cool tutes on it too, how come u dont make these downloadable?

anyway will the cd be availablein the uk?

Thanks for your hard workThanks man! I appreciate it when others acknowledge the amount of work that goes into making tutorials in general, and this beast of mine in specific! ;)

The public release is for all intents and purposes, the shareware version of the tutorial, if you will. It is my hope that it will entice people to want to purchase the entire set, which includes another 75 sections (essentially 75 tutorials), as well as other added content. And yes, the CD version will be available internationally!

Originally posted by: Nemoid
I read a lot of the thread dedicated to your tutorial!

i have to say u did a very hard job. can't wait for the final release!
at the end, how can we have it? download? or u send the cd in Europe too? let us know more...You can download the first eight chapters for free, however, the international cd release will have the other 8 chapters as well as another 25 or so tutorials to augment everything covered in the base 16 chapters. Again, thanks for the interest, and for your praise.. it means a lot.

Orignally posted by: Aurora
I've been following that thread for many moons and am excited to see it finally coming together for you. You have put ALOT of work into this project and stayed very open to your followers with it. You have my highest admiration for that kind of dedication!Thanks! You have my admiration as well, for your willingness to say such things... now if only the entire world could be so nice and open! LoL! In about three weeks, you can download it, and go through it all... the amount of work you've seen posted is nothing when compared to the enormity of the beast.

;) In all honesty, there is about 300+ hours of work in it to this point, so yeah, it's rather large... lol...

Cheers all and thanks for your interest!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.