PDA

View Full Version : Tom And Jerry Film

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Quote:

Warner Bros. is turning to Tom and Jerry to create its own "Alvin and the Chipmunks"-like family franchise. Plans are to bring the constantly warring cat and mouse to life as CG characters that run around in live-action settings.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998898.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

jewalker
01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I wonder if it could be worse than the 1992 Tom and Jerry Movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105616/
http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/1499-tom-and-jerry-the-movie

Boone
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Let me guess how they will pitch this..."And now its a game of Cat and Mouse...with attitude!":banghead:

Please, WB...just dont. Leave it out.:rolleyes:

John-S
01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Noooooo!

Leave Tom and Jerry alone! A movie is fine but no "live action".

Michael5188
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
This is too bad... I'm really growing tired of this old franchise revival and milk trend. Maybe if these movies ever turned out good I wouldn't mind, but Garfield, Underdog, Alvin, Scooby Doo, etc. they're always weak films... (I'm sure there have been successes I'm forgetting, but you know what I mean)

kmest
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
this is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas....
alvin and cheapmonks was a trash,a waste of tallents behind vfx...

there is absolutely no hope for a tom and jerrry movie to be good

fuss
01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
So, what's next? An "Itchy & Scratchy" live action movie?

Well, actually I would pay to see THAT... :cool:

Boone
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
So, what's next? An "Itchy & Scratchy" live action movie?

Nothing would surprise me now...

fktt
01-22-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm definitely with you there, just as long as it's left 2D just like the simpsons movie,
they just work better as flat 2D.

kmest
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Nothing would surprise me now...
not even a TETRIS:THE MOVIE?????

fktt
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM

Isn't that like one of the most re-used IP's ever?
so, no surprise would be least of all found there! ;)

Boone
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM

You've not heard of the blockbuster event of 2009? Tsk Tsk - what planet have you been living on?:D

ghoest
01-22-2009, 09:32 PM
but Garfield, Underdog, Alvin, Scooby Doo, etc. they're always weak films...

errr... all of the above films have all seen relative box office success, there is obviously a market for them and I'll go against the grain here and put it down that I actually liked most of them (true, I'm a little biased b/c I work for the people who made 3 of 4 of those films and worked on Alvin and am proud of it). I'd love to see this in 2D as much as the next guy, but the fact is, that the last film did a major disservice to the legacy and seeing this in a longer format in it's original state would be a major if not impossible chore for anyone to make watchable (Tom and Jerry beat eachother mercilessly for 1.5 hours?). I'd love to see this play out like a long format Presto.

I also like to work and money, and I think it's safe to say these movies generate new jobs in the industry which is always a plus for everyone :beer:

edit: I should also add, I'd love to see this like the old Fleischer Betty Boop + Live action musical films or the three caballeros... that would be awesome

Grim Beefer
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Great.

P.S. - If you can't tell I was being sarcastic.

Mic_Ma
01-23-2009, 07:53 AM
No doubt it will explore the dark and gritty sides of internal psychological convulsions.

P_T
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Isn't the world too politically correct these days for toons like Tom & Jerry? I'm reserving judgement until I see some footage but at the same time, I don't really have high hopes.

colkai
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Quote:

Warner Bros. is turning to Tom and Jerry to create its own "Alvin and the Chipmunks"-like family franchise.

Oh no, no, dear Gh0d no! :banghead:

BigPixolin
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone but we aren't the demographic for this movie.
I'm sure those who the movie is actually intented for, will love it.

Michael5188
01-23-2009, 05:50 PM
errr... all of the above films have all seen relative box office success, there is obviously a market for them and I'll go against the grain here and put it down that I actually liked most of them (true, I'm a little biased b/c I work for the people who made 3 of 4 of those films and worked on Alvin and am proud of it). I'd love to see this in 2D as much as the next guy, but the fact is, that the last film did a major disservice to the legacy and seeing this in a longer format in it's original state would be a major if not impossible chore for anyone to make watchable (Tom and Jerry beat eachother mercilessly for 1.5 hours?). I'd love to see this play out like a long format Presto.

I also like to work and money, and I think it's safe to say these movies generate new jobs in the industry which is always a plus for everyone :beer:

edit: I should also add, I'd love to see this like the old Fleischer Betty Boop + Live action musical films or the three caballeros... that would be awesome

Ok, so I was waiting for this angle, and everything you say is true. This has been discussed time and time again.

The films make money.
They give jobs, and paychecks.

So what it comes down to is an argument about people saying it's a shame the industry is full of remake films like the ones I listed (obviously there will be some people who loved them, but come on, the overall opinions of those films were negative), and then the other side saying you should be glad it gives jobs.

I'm just going to fast-forward through all of that and say I agree with what you say, but I'm still not happy about a Tom and Jerry film...

Stimpy
01-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone but we aren't the demographic for this movie.
I'm sure those who the movie is actually intented for, will love it.

shhhhhhhh, dont tell anyone but the actual target audience probably doesnt even know who tom and jerry are, so why bother pissing on their grave ?

DuttyFoot
01-24-2009, 02:35 PM
i was actually listening to npr on the way to work yesterday and they were talking about the wb doing this. one comment that was made is that they are going for the safe movies, and who knows we might see more pirates of the caribbean. they also noted that 800 people were being laid off from the WB.

Warner Bros. Entertainment is eliminating 800 jobs, or about 10% of its global workforce, becoming the latest media company to take drastic cost-cutting measures amid a deepening recession.

About 600 people will be laid off across all divisions of the studio's operations, and 200 cuts will come from open positions not being filled

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-warner21-2009jan21,0,5170332.story

cresshead
01-24-2009, 02:48 PM
tom and jerry all cg film...yeah..could be great
tom and jerry cg/live plates...yuk....no thanks..ever..

francomanko
01-25-2009, 11:11 PM
shhhhhhhh, dont tell anyone but the actual target audience probably doesnt even know who tom and jerry are, so why bother pissing on their grave ?

yeah why waste money on making this when it could be used to make something that we all like, such as another AvP or Hulk v transformer movie.

They might as well do tom and jerry, its not as though they are going to come up with anything original now is it? :)

BigPixolin
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
shhhhhhhh, dont tell anyone but the actual target audience probably doesnt even know who tom and jerry are,?

Could not be further from the truth.

Stimpy
01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Could not be further from the truth.

and you know this how ? for all you know kids these days might think its an itchy and scratchy rip off...

BigPixolin
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
and you know this how ? for all you know kids these days might think its an itchy and scratchy rip off...

Have you ever heard of Cartoon Network or Cartoon Network Boomerang? My kids know exactly who Tom and Jerry is. They play it on both channels everyday and both have had multible Tom and Jerry marathons.
My kids loved Transformers, Garfeild, Chipmunks, Scooby Doo, Hulk, and all other movies they are making for a new generation and not the old generation that are hanging on to 80's memories and think they are owed something for watching it when they were young.

Womball
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd like too see more animated shorts like Tom and Jerry, before a movie. It might make them worth the $10 cost. If they don't go with photorealism it might be good. ALso it will have to be not PC and very violent. Otherwise its not Tom and Jerry.

MrPositive
01-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Tom and Jerry is on quite a bit actually on Cartoon Network. Nevertheless, a movie with live action no less, makes me sad. :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2009, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.