01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Here is who I think SHOULD win...

Best Animated Short

No pick, I have to see them all
Best Animated Feature

Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E
Bolt It is without a doubt one of the best films of 2008...Great work Disney!

Best Visual Effects

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Benjamin Button had the most revolutionary FX of any film of last year.
To think that the LEAD of the film was a cg character for almost 1/2 the movie shows me that VFX are headed into uncharted territory in terms of what can be done.

malducin
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's the list

Nominees for the 81st Academy Awards (http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html)

For VFX we have Benjamin Button, The Dark Knight and Iron. Animated film: Bolt, Kung-Fu Panda and Wall*E. Short animated films: La Maison en Petits Cubes, Lavatory - Lovestory, Oktapodi, Presto, This Way Up.

Overall seems Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire garnered the st nods.

Congratulations to all.

Boone
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, heres my list( though bearing in mind I havent seen all entries...)

Short Animated Film...

Presto(PIXAR)

Animated Feature...

Wall-E(PIXAR)

Best VFX...

Iron Man(ILM & The Embassy)

Gentle Fury
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
So how is Button nominated for Make-Up and VFX....Seems like it should be one or the other.....since it really wasnt makeup that made the movie it was the VFX....but if you really want you could call it digital makeup and once again give it to the wrong dept...but I don't think it should be nominated for both.

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Dup post...
Merged threads..

jewalker
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Wall-E was also nominated for 5 other categories: Best Score, Best Song, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Original Screenplay.

dneg
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
So how is Button nominated for Make-Up and VFX....Seems like it should be one or the other.....since it really wasnt makeup that made the movie it was the VFX....but if you really want you could call it digital makeup and once again give it to the wrong dept...but I don't think it should be nominated for both.

Button has great VFX and great makeup - when Benjamin stops being digital it's makeup. Same for the work on Cate Blanchett. The two disciplines work in concert with eachother and it's hard to see where one stops and the other begins. All that being said, I think TDK has it beat when it comes to outrageous fat-wheeled motorcycles ;-)

elysianalartist
01-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I am rooting for Bolt on this one. It came together in the end! Congrats to all who worked on it.... and again great job! I must have seen it over 4 times on the big screen.

Edit: This movie reminded of why I got into this Industry! Don't think you can tell from my Avatar but I'm a Disney nut and admit it proudly.

show
01-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm rooting for WALL-E and Benjamin Button
I haven't seen all of the short films yet so I couldn't say.

TheWraith
01-22-2009, 07:17 PM
between bolt, wall-e and kung fu panda, i honestly don't care who wins. i thought they were all great and this is probably the first time where i haven't felt the need to really root for one. i'll be happy with whichever one wins!

kmest
01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Best Animated Short
Presto

Best Animated Featur
Kung Fu Panda

Best Visual Effects
The Dark Knight

Michael5188
01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Really? Bolt? But it was so cliche... anyways, it was a solid film, I think I was in a nitpicky mood when I saw it. I'm really all for any of them. Really great line up this year!

Marlonnowe
01-22-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm really proud of Bolt being Oscar Nominated. But I think Wall-E will win.

Congrats to all the crews!!! I agree, it's a solid line up!

Marlon

kmest
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
i was hoping to see Horton hears a Who on the list,and i think that one realy deserved to Win......but i know Wall.E will win,its mostly about Fame,not the movie itself

Mike RB
01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Yay! Nominated for Iron Man!

Capel
01-22-2009, 11:46 PM
If Bolt wins I will set my house on fire. Just kidding, but I would seriously be confused if it won. It's a good film for Disney, compared to their recent film history. But that same movie made by any other studio wouldn't have gotten the praise it did. After I saw it I thought, "Why again did everyone say to see this movie?" It was a neatly-wrapped little story, but really predictable and not funny at all. By the way, what's up with Miley Cyrus sounding like a chain smoker? Her voice didn't fit that character in any way.

ANYWAY, Bolt rant over. Wall-E was good. The first half hour ranks just below ratarouille for me on the pixar scale, but the rest of the movie is just above Cars in my opinion.

Now Kung Fu Panda, let me tell you. THAT'S a movie! Just kidding. But of the three I have to root for KFP. Not because I work at DW, but because I genuinely feel like it's the superior film.

ThE_JacO
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
First time ever I agree with the three finalists for VFX. I have to say I wouldn't know which one to pick though. They are all phenomenal work for different reasons, might as well flip a coin.

Animated feature though, imo, should have had Horton and not Bolt in there. I enjoyed Bolt, but it didn't do anything particularly new in any regard other than bringing Disney back on the map for 3D, Horton had much more inspiring design choices, art direction, and way more complex and interesting animation systems and rigs supporting it imo.

Anyway, good luck to all parties involved, whicever way it goes for VFX this year, I will be happy.

Rhs_CG
01-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Wow! Oktapodi nominated! Those guys at Gobelins make some awesome films.

Check out the behind the scenes videos at http://www.oktapodi.com.

Congrats to all the nominees!

PiotrekM
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Horton hears a who... where is it ? fresh story, characters, voice work etc...

Intervain
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
my choice :)

Best Animated Feature

Bolt
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E

Loved both Bolt and Kung Fu Panda - but I have to say the latter wins it - Wall-E, though technically fantastic was boring and I still can't believe that script was nominated for an award. :surprised
Best Visual Effects

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Benjamin Button was innovative and the VFX served the storytelling very well All were good though ... :)

vlad74
01-23-2009, 12:34 PM
WALL-E will get the Oscar for sure.

CaptCook
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM
It's a good film for Disney, compared to their recent film history.

I'd say that goes for Kung Fu Panda, too.

CC

Capel
01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd say that goes for Kung Fu Panda, too.

CC

I couldn't agree more. But in and of themselves, I think Kung Fu Panda was a superior film. Bolt was predictable and rarely funny. I chuckled i think twice. Maybe three times.

powerwave
01-23-2009, 10:33 PM
If I could select the winners I would pick Horton Hears a Who! as the best animated feature, and WALL-E as the best picture.

Horton was Blue Sky's best film in my opinion.

Interestingly WALL-E was nominated for best original SCREENPLAY... a bit too interesting.

MrPositive
01-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Wall e will win this, unfortunately. Kung Fu Panda was hilarious and gorgeous.

nickmarshallvfx
02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Must admit i really respected what Kung Fu Panda did, and it was nice to see Dreamworks back at the top of their game.
However, Wall*E was absolutely pixel perfect in every frame, it was just flawlessly beautiful. I loved the fact that the first half hour is a big showcase of the best animators in the world at the height of their craft.

As for vfx, im on the fence. Benjamin Button i think will win, and perhaps it deserves to as id say of the three it is the most groundbreaking. Im kinda rooting for Dark Knight though because after seeing the breakdowns and realising that it was a whole lot more seamless than id even thought, i think it deserves recognition. Plus im probably biased because i absolutely loved that movie.

Animated short i think should go to Oktapodi. I think for those 6 college students to do something that really does genuinely stand up next to Presto with its huge team of industry pro's is as big an achievement as you can find! The Gobelins students have always seemed to come out very talented, but Oktapodi was as good a student animation as ive ever seen and i think it will be some years before i see better too. Complete triumpth of design and execution.
I did love Presto tho... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the awards. Does anyone from the UK know if they will be aired live over here? Or anywhere on the net that will stream them live?

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.