PDA

View Full Version : Max rig to Maya...

Mordin
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi. Could nt find what I was looking for, but its probably been asked before..

I am a maya user working with a Max user. The max user wants to import the rig they ve made into maya. I can't think of a way without losing a lot of information. Can it be done? I tried .fbx but it only imported the joints, left all the IK etc behind.

If not, can Maya joints be made to act like max bones? The max person was showing me a rig where the bones can be translated (but are actually rotating). In maya translating stretches the joint instead. I was always taught to rotate joints, never translate. I have always got by using this method - is max so different? Is the max person just being fussy? :-P

(I hope that makes some sense, I dont know max at all, and she does'nt know maya. I feel at times like we are speaking another language!).

I can always provide the max rig for people to take a look at and suggest how I could make it in Maya.

PEN
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
The answer is NO, you can't bring a Max rig into Maya and expect it to work. You could import the bones through FBX and have a skeleton to work with and rig in Maya.

You can translate the child bone in Max and have the parent always look at it. This isn't something that Maya does..or did from the last version that I used. But I do know that they made changes to the bones in Maya in recent versions that might allow for it.

Really this doesn't make any difference at all to the end result at all. You need to have the joints in the right place and it doesn't really matter how you get them there. In Maya if you move the child you are not rotating the parent, this is why you have always been taught to rotate the parent instead as it all gets out of alignment other wise.

This might help you some with terminologies from one package to another..

http://www.paulneale.com/tutorials/MaxMaya/maxMaya.htm

abahena
01-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Is there a way to have you character done in maya, with the same structure as a biped. And then in max turned it into a biped?

PEN
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
He mentions Max bones so I'm guessing they don't want to be using Biped.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2009, 12:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.