PDA

View Full Version : Rigging in max

Shuyinsan
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
So I made a model for an animation i'm working on, it's just a base male model..afterwards I zbrushed it. got the detail in and all that normal mapped it.
Still need to do clothing/armour in it..but i was looking into rigging.

Well this is for my final assignment on school...and never really got into animation before..
So I did weeks of research on the whole rigging process.
I also looked at some plugins (puppetshow etc)
anyway..
My question is how do I deal with this the best...i tried using bones..but when I use the skin modifier etc and move a bone the body gets all pointy..so I need a muscle system i guess

Also about facial animation in the same model..is it best to bone a whole face or to use the morphe modifier..

metamesh
01-22-2009, 11:44 AM
you don't need a muscle plugin, you need to paint the weights of your skin properly, muscle systems add giggle and secondary motion but if your skinning sucks, you won't be able to fix that with the muscles...
for the facial, i'd say morpher, is more straight forward and easier ( for me, at least... )
good luck!

Shuyinsan
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
sweet thanks.

I will try to get it to work properly with weight painting.
about the morpher..do I need to seperate the head from the body to make it work better or not seeing as the morpher is applied to the whole body mesh..

metamesh
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
some people prefer to separate it, some others prefer not to, so i guess is really up to you...if you are not gonna see the cut ( hidden under the clothes or whatever ) you may want to separate it?

abahena
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I highly recommend that you get this dvd form Paul Neal

https://www.cg-academy.net/es_catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_40&products_id=44&osCsid=2d7unh2udc47ioiqjmacp3fvqjso9sdh

Shuyinsan
01-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks I will go with the flow haha..
Got some good starting lines I'll probally post when it's done or WIP it

dude5487
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree with abahena, the rigging tutorial from 3dtotal.com is really good as well.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.