PDA

View Full Version : Applying, copying&moving rigged characters

pas0003
01-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Hi people, I have a problem with Maya 8.5 - I have just learned rigging and after posing my character I wanted to duplicate him and move to a different location, but when I duplicate the character, the move tool arrows turn gray and I am unable to move it. Does anyone know how I can solve this situation? - I want to pose the main character in different poses and then duplicate him, to create static characters with different poses.

mlefevre
01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Hmm, instead of duplicating your character, try importing him into your file. Maya's default import options are to use name-spaces I think, so I don't think there'll be any name clashes.

Hope that helps :)

-matt

pas0003
01-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Thanks Matt, but that sadly didn't solve the problem.:sad: I just started using Maya and there's a lot that I didn't know, but in Blender (another 3d modeling program) after posing a character (any object for that matter) I can just click "Make Real" and then "Apply" so that the mesh gets permanently deformed by the armature (skeleton) and isn't influenced by it anymore. So for example I can make 1 soldier and duplicate him a thousand times and move those thousand copies however I like to create a whole bunch of soldiers with different positions and rotation angles, which is very useful for static scenes. I hope you understand what I mean.
Any further assistance will be much appreciated!

temper
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
The reason the move arrows turned gray is because the attributes are locked. Simply select the gray attributes in the channel box, right mouse click and then "unlock selected". Or unlock them in the channel control editor (window -> general editors ->channel control).

pas0003
01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks a lot temper!!! That was so simple, yet I didn't know what to do - I can finally keep going with my progress! :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.