PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Merging two Meshes

CrimsonGT
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
I am trying to turn this into a game prop, but to finish it I need to be able to merge these two meshes together. Its a pentagram, and I would like for the star to attach to the ring around it. The part below is basically the faces I want to connect. I have tried deleting both faces, and having only the edges selected, and going Model->Create->Poly Mesh->Merge, and it didnt work. I have tried making sure both selected areas had the same amount of verts and edges, and it didnt work. I am confused as hell now on how to merge two meshes together. Heres a screenshot of how im trying to attach it...

http://imagenouch.com/images/2009/Jan/11232568365.PNG

This is my first model that im going to actually use, so please be rather simplistic with the help so I can understand. I appreciate any help immensely.

Arbalest
01-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Deleting the selected faces and Create -> Poly Mesh -> Merge is the right way to go, just make sure to play with the tolerance (and check bridge), because that is the search radius in which unconnected edges are connected - if you check bridge it creates new polys between them.
If you are not getting satisfying results just merge them with a tolerance of 0 and create the polys manually.

admkrk
01-21-2009, 10:51 PM
maybe if you add points to the star so that there are the same amount of edges to weld together?

CrimsonGT
01-22-2009, 05:18 AM
http://imagenouch.com/images/2009/Jan/11232601337.PNG

Thats what I got, and its just not working. When I do merge, it gives me a little mouse pointer to select the objects to merge, and I click both of them and hit enter but it doesnt really do anything. I did get it to merge once but it usually does. And no matter what the tolerance is, or if bridge is checked, it never bridges the gap.

I also tried bridging edges and verts and neither of those worked as well.

Littleberu
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Press the "N" key on your keyboard, and drag each edge to the next one. You'll have to do this for the four edges.

Next time, select both faces without deleting them, and right click --> Bridge.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.