PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill a tri?

Petrik
06-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Is it possible to kill the tri circled in the attached pic? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

Shade01
06-27-2003, 12:05 AM
certainly. Kill the tri with K and weld those two point on the right together. You may have to do that for that entire row of polys

Petrik
06-27-2003, 12:09 AM
NO!!!!

I needed to do a cut to create extra poly's but I didn't want to bandsaw all the way around the model so I made a triangle there where I finished in the hope that I somehow could transfom it to a quad later.

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 12:13 AM
It looks like your triangle stretches across a large poly. Since subdivision surfaces favor quads, you're best placing your triangles in areas that aren't that prominant. But if you have to, as you may in this case, try to create your triangle so that it's not stretching over large areas of space. The poly just to the right of your triangle would be a good candidate. Then you could kill this triangle and turn it back into a quad.

Does that make sense? :surprised

Steve

Petrik
06-27-2003, 12:15 AM
Maybe this explains better what I tried to do.

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 12:22 AM
If you're just trying to limit the range of the Bandsaw tool, you can flip the poly at the place you want Bandsaw to stop. That will terminate the Bandsaw function. From there, simply flip the poly back again. :)

Hope this helps! :wavey:

Steve

webfox
06-27-2003, 12:42 AM
Awesome tip!

Thanks. :buttrock:

Petrik
06-27-2003, 12:42 AM
Well tried that trick but that produces some weird results.

Petrik
06-27-2003, 12:46 AM
Here's what it does.

Zarathustra
06-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Sloppy, but 2 options. In the future, just learn how to manipulate your polys and don't just throw up your hands when a plug doesn't do your work for you.

Steve Warner
06-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Here's another option for terminating your Bandsaw operations:

Use the Flip poly trick I metioned above. When you're done, select either the point or points on each side of the flipped poly.

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Help/term01.gif

Select the stretch tool (h) and using the control key or middle mouse button, constrain the stretch to a horizontal motion. The points should move away from flipped poly (which appears blank in this image because it's single-sided).

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Help/term02.gif

Now select your points in a clockwise fashion to create a pair of triangles.

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Help/term03.gif

Finally, hit the Tab key to go into subpatch mode. This should help the odd stretching that comes with triangles to a minimum.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Triple G
06-27-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
If you're just trying to limit the range of the Bandsaw tool, you can flip the poly at the place you want Bandsaw to stop. That will terminate the Bandsaw function. From there, simply flip the poly back again. :)

Steve

Interesting...I usually hide the poly where I want the cut to stop. I didn't know flipping it worked also. Thanks, Steve! :)

Petrik
06-27-2003, 05:09 AM
Thanks guys. That gives me a couple of thing to play with.

rickycox
06-27-2003, 07:18 AM
The Bandsaw should terminate when it hits a tri, but tests on my system cause it to crash.

You can always slecet your band of polys cut and paste them back in, run bandsaw and then merge points.

SplineGod
06-27-2003, 08:50 AM
I would just extend that edge all the way around because I cant see why it would hurt anything. You might also try this:

Tudor
06-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Don't flip it. It will be discontinuos. Instead triple it, and the shift-z them back later.

Originally posted by Steve Warner

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.