PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rate for Cel shading

dragonfollower
06-26-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm doing an animated film using LW's celshader. I'm trying to get that "stuttered" look of traditional animation/anime. Can anyone explain how to do this?

I remember reading somewhere about rendering on "2's" or something. But when I do this Premiere won't recognize my targa sequence.

Also, can anyone offer any other tips about doing celshading in general?

Thanks,

-Brian

vbk!!!
06-26-2003, 09:35 PM
in a anime for video the framerate is of 12 or 15 i/sec.
you could try to make your anim in 12i/sec and strecth it in a project with 25i/sec.
you could duplicate your anim in two layers, translate one of theses layers of 1 frame and add transparency.

Dont add motion blur during your rendering.

Voila

Hope it helps

Mr. Cadillac
06-27-2003, 05:10 AM
"on twos" means you're holding each frame for 2 shots at 24 fps, or shooting 12 images for every second. Classical animation is measured at 24 fps almost exclusively, so even if you are working at 29.97 final output stay at twelve images per sec (works out to a 3-2-3-2-3-2-etc hold). I don't know exactly how you would achieve this in LW alone. I think you could set it to render at twelve fps and then put it into premiere and convert to 24fps in there. That should force it to show the held frame. I'm not even sure of that though as I haven't played with Premiere recently. Try "on threes" if thats not jittrery enough.

hope that helps; Buy "the animators survival kit" book for more info- it's freaking great!

Limbus
06-27-2003, 10:08 AM
You can adjust the still image duration in premiere. Look under "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "General and Still Image" .

Florian

jmcalpin
06-27-2003, 11:33 AM
A) I would go to render options and set the step to 2. this should give you that stepped animation look but you can still work at a comfortable 24 fps.

B)You can also do all your animation in LW at 24 fps anw when it is done change the frame rate under options to 12. everything will scale back. Not sure how well though.

Jason

paul k.
06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
A) I would go to render options and set the step to 2. this should give you that stepped animation look but you can still work at a comfortable 24 fps.

No, A friend of mine had a gripe with this at my former studio. Setting the step to 2 is not at all the same as being on 2's. The step will just render every other frame, not render every frame twice. This is the difference. I think the only way would be in Final Cut, or whatever you are using to do your edits.

dragonfollower
06-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the posts.

I think I should be able to come with a process that works now. If anyone else can think of anything, by all means let me know!

Thanks again!

-Brian

jmcalpin
06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by paul k.
No, A friend of mine had a gripe with this at my former studio. Setting the step to 2 is not at all the same as being on 2's. The step will just render every other frame, not render every frame twice. This is the difference. I think the only way would be in Final Cut, or whatever you are using to do your edits.

I checked this and what you would have to do is save it out then in your video software adjust the duration. basically double the duration for a 24 fps shot. I did it in premiere just to check and it works. Of course you need video editing software. Which I think your going to need just to get this rendered out anyway. Unless you take door # three...

3) Set all your keys to stepped and animate on twos. This also has the benefit of allowing you to do pans on ones. With this your are all but doing stop motion pose to pose animation since the computer will be left out of any tweening work.

Jay

Celshader
06-28-2003, 12:10 AM
If you have the render power, I say do it all on ones.

*likes to see fluid animation!!!* :love:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.