PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of home made look?

Gremlin
06-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,
Im shooting some live action movies with my buddies, and I want to know how I make it look like it wasnt shot with a digicam, ya know? I know someone told me to fake the focus depth by blurring a masked background or something.... well the point is, at my buddies house, he has Shake, and here I Have Adobe After Effects... so if anyone could help me get our live action footage to look like it as shot with a 35mm or something, it would be appreciated.

(is there anything with frames per second I should worry about too?)
Cheers,
:beer:

Ian Jones
06-27-2003, 02:33 AM
If you could shoot a feature film with a digicam and fake it to look like 35mm then everyone would do it cos its cheaper. Unfortunately theres not a lot you can do. Avoid shaky camera work, use a tripod, use proper lighting, good actors etc... and you'll get some fairly decent footage.

gmask
06-27-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Gremlin
Hey guys,
Im shooting some live action movies with my buddies, and I want to know how I make it look like it wasnt shot with a digicam, ya know? I know someone told me to fake the focus depth by blurring a masked background or something.... well the point is, at my buddies house, he has Shake, and here I Have Adobe After Effects... so if anyone could help me get our live action footage to look like it as shot with a 35mm or something, it would be appreciated.

(is there anything with frames per second I should worry about too?)
Cheers,

One thing that might help is that if you are using a DVcam shot in progressive mode so that you are not recording fields this will be a better aproximation of shooting on film at 24fps. Other than that you will never get video to match the quality of film but it would help if you were shooting with better video cameras and recording to a format that uses less compression or none.

redfuzz
06-27-2003, 08:48 AM
http://store.yahoo.com/redgiantsoftware/magbulsuit.html

Magic Bullet is an after effects plugin I have had good results with. Excellent product.

"Magic Bullet is an all-digital pipeline for finishing digital movies. Developed at The Orphanage, a digital film production and post-production company, it was designed to allow ultimate creative control over digital projects while maintaining the highest possible quality, with a particular eye towards mimicking the characteristics of motion picture film.

To best understand Magic Bullet and what it can do for you, read on. If you can't wait to see it in action, download the demo version and try it for yourself."

marci2001
06-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by redfuzz
http://store.yahoo.com/redgiantsoftware/magbulsuit.html

Magic Bullet is an after effects plugin I have had good results with. Excellent product.

still, DV is DV

:annoyed:

you'll get better results, if you create a weird, stunning visual design to your film

turn the "DV look" into an advantage
best regards
M

xeno
07-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Tnx for the tip, ive been meaning to ask this question for some time now, as im also shooting some movies.
Gonna try this one!

Gremlin
07-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Hmmm, if any of you recall the video monday made by 2 cgtalk users, it was shot with a DV cam, and it looked pretty good. I emailed him, and this is what he told me:
We used a Sony DVCAM camera and we did all our post production/compositing in a program called Shake. To get rid of the "homemade" we did two things. First fake focus depth, because when you shot your film on DV you get a very big foucs depth and we liked to get that 35mm look, so we masked the background from the foreground and blured it through out the whole movie and it took a very very long time, but that made it look like we had a small focus depth on the film. Second thing was color correction, take a away litte bit saturation particular on the red channel, becuase it have a ability to bleed out. We did to different color correction on that hade a green tone in it and the other on with a blue tone, this we made by just playing around with different color controls, like add a little bit green in the mid section. We also worked with contrast and brightness.
I do not have a link to the video, but if you search the boards you could find it, its called monday and one of the creators' name is Jon Noorlander!

does anyone know how to do that background masking crap in after effects? cause I wanna use that + Magic Bullet...

Cheers,

noden
07-11-2003, 10:29 PM
That video you mentioned can be found at.,.,
http://www.noorlander.se/
thanks for the ref gremlin.,., i especially like the way he colored the close ups on the faces and reflections in their eyes.,.,

danylyon
07-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by marci2001
you'll get better results, if you create a weird, stunning visual design to your film

turn the "DV look" into an advantage

Totally agree with you!

I've seen a book where a photographer used early Digicams with really washed out colors & lots of compression artefacts to her advantage. Some of the photos are blurred / shaky / dense.. whatever you can do wrong in photography.. she does it.
The look is pretty incredible.. (a bit like those webcam pictures). This way she achieved a very voyeuristic mood. Very artsy.

Now.. what exactly did I want to say? *scratches head*..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.