PDA

View Full Version : Help to turn off 2-sided polygons in 3dsmax 2009

Hendley
01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi!

It turns out that they've decided to have 2-sided polygons in new 3dsmax 2009 (design) And I can't find where to turn this feature off. I like to create rough sketches of rooms in 3dsmax and I think it's so easy just to create a box and flip the normals. Why cant I do that anymore :(

VanDerGoes
01-20-2009, 04:57 PM
You can still do it. Create a box and invert normals as usual. If you want the faces with the normal not pointing the camera to be invisible, RMB on the box, object properties and check backface cull.

Hendley
01-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanx! But I was checking the object properties dialog earlier on an object just to uncheck "show frozen in grey" but all the propterties for that object was greyed out and could not be changed. Tried to create a new object, but that too had greyed out properties. Never happend in previous versions of Max??

Also I wonder what it means with the new 3dsmax 2009 Design version that I'm trying out. Is there a regular 3dsmax 2009 also, and what are the difference between these two then? I've tried to sort this out by visiting Autodesk's website but the info there is very blurry.

(I don't like the gizmo in the upper right corner taking up half the screenspace either.)

Piflik
01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
There is a regular Max 2009 and the difference between the two ist that the regular one has the SDK and the Design has this new Light-Thingie. Don't remember the name, nor the funktion...

Now to your Problem:
In the Properties Dialoge, there are some buttons saying "By Object" or "By Layer". If they say "By Layer", all the options in there are determined by layer (Doh!) and are grayed out. When you click on that button (thus changing it to "By Object"), you should be able to aktivate "Backface Cull".

Hendley
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok thanks alot! I've never had to change by layer or by object before so I simply didn't know about it. But you've really been helpful.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.