PDA

View Full Version : Maxscript and wire parameters stop working (sometimes)

TerianSilva
01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi,

whenever I add custom attributes, they sometimes stop working.
It seems that wire parameters do not respond to control (for example slider) changes and buttons do not work anymore.

Is this a known issue? Do you know how to avoid this? Maybe I am just doing stuff that disables all linkage.

Edit:
Max 2009 - 32 Bit (no service pack)
Windows XP SP3

PEN
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Max version?
Service pack?
OS?
32/64bit?

No this shouldn't happen.

BradT
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
It's been a few max versions since I ran into this, so I could be off here. It used to be (and maybe still is?) that when you create a wired parameter, it's given a range bar equal to the current time range. If that's what's going on, you can fix it by extending the controller's range bar in track view OR just go to scriptspot and search for the script called something like "fix ranges".

To avoid it in the future, set your active time segment to something very large before rigging.

IkerCLoN
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe you can use Expression or Script Controllers instead of wiring. That way you avoid the problem.

LoneRobot
01-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I have had this on numerous installs of 2009, it is a known bug and documented in SP1. best to install the hotfix from the autodesk site and it should sort it out. (the latest hotfix includes previous fixes)

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11601340&linkID=9241178

steev
01-21-2009, 02:43 AM
i ran into this several times with 2009 & even the hotifix didn't fix it. specifically i was using CA sliders wired to the rotation of something in the scene. along with this slider i had spinner two-way wired to the slider in order to easily right-click on the spinner and re-set it & the slider to zero. this worked without a hitch with previous versions until 2009.

setting it up so the spinners master controlled the objects in the scene (& cutting out all the slider CA's) fixed the problem for me.

the issue (intermittent keyability of custom attributes) seems to stem from 2-way connections. that said, i have some 2-ways that work fine. it's a weird bug.

TerianSilva
01-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the answers. Yepp, I had these problems with the slider controller. It is not reproducible but chances are very high, that it occurs when loading a file while after loading it again, the error is gone.
So the slider component seems to be screwed up somehow. I will replace it and use a spline gui where it is possible.

thanks again!

LoneRobot
01-21-2009, 08:09 AM
setting it up so the spinners master controlled the objects in the scene (& cutting out all the slider CA's) fixed the problem for me.

the issue (intermittent keyability of custom attributes) seems to stem from 2-way connections. that said, i have some 2-ways that work fine. it's a weird bug.

That's interesting to know steev, as I hadn't seen any issues after installing the patch. This is because I dont tend to use two way connections, more generally using the controller property of spinners and sliders instead of parameter wiring. perhaps I was lucky in avoiding this. I'll remember this issue for the future though, cheers.

PEN
01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I always forget about two way connections as I almost never use them. There have been many reports of problems like this with them but I also thought that the hot fix corrected it. If any one has any file that show the problem you should get them to AD so they can see the problem first had or they will not be able to correct it for us.

LoneRobot
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
i along with this slider i had spinner two-way wired to the slider in order to easily right-click on the spinner and re-set it & the slider to zero.

I usually setup the slider buttondown or buttonup event to have a keypressed condition that resets the slider with control click. it would get round the need for two way wiring and the extra UI element, unless of course you wanted this and needed the spinner's precision.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.