PDA

View Full Version : Image Ink Question

naseerkhan
01-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Hi All,

I'm working on making color accurate version of a model that's been created from 3D scanning (so it's dimensionally accurate but monochrome). I have about 15-20 high res images of the real world artifact. Using Image Ink, I can get good painting done of the the major views. But as I try to fill some off-angle details with additional photos, I get smears on my previously painted polys.

This is happening because I'm not able to limit my painting operation to only those polygons that are facing the view. I know painting is working now to be limited to visible polys. Is that the best route to doing this from various angles? I think I'll still have overlaps in the different views. And how does one select all polys at a certain angle or below to the current screen view?

For that matter, is there a Falloff type that can be used to influence the strength of the painting operation, such that I get most strength on those facing the view and then it drops off to zero for those at right angle or facing away to the view?

I'm really struggling with this because it's sorta like chasing one's tail. I get it looking good in one view only to have it ruined from painting in a side view. Please give me any ideas that pop into mind based on your experiences.

--Naseer

softdistortion
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Like you already noticed it's like chasing your tail. :)

it is a bit better if you paint in the UV window, but not as nice as it could be in 3d viewport.

My best suggestion is go old school and make a good unwrap UV, then take your hirez images and comp them together on template of that UV.

If it's really complex object with nondescript poly flow, you could use image ink to set yourself a rough guide for the hirez comp.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2009, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.