PDA

View Full Version : Rigid binding - any way to export my set membership?

anthonymcgrath
06-26-2003, 03:34 PM
I have a character I've built and rigid skinned him up. However I have a little problem - I'm really quite happy with the rigid binding set membership but somewhere along the line - I detached the rigid binding with bake history on - the character has now moved a spot from its originally modelled position and I've since rebinded the skeleton to this new slightly amended position - arse-hashbrowns

My solution is re-import the skeleton setup, import the original model and re-bind this model to the skeleton again but it means I'd have to redo all the set membership again - scruttocks!

What I wanna know is if there is some clever way of taking the set membership off the character I have at this minute (the one in the 1st paragraph), save off the set membership and apply it to the character setup on the 2nd paragraph.
None of the node names have changed between the two scenes so I would be grateful of anyone who could solve this problem.

If it were smooth skinning I'd just to the export skin map trickery but unfortunately I have to use rigid binding - so get in there!!!

first reply wins a nurbs sphere

cheers
anth
newcastle
uk

loked
06-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Hey Anthony :)

The only way I can think of is via MEL.

I was messing around brielfy and the solution I came up with basically requires you to get each vertices weight, export it to a file and then reapply it using the information saved to a file.

I havnt actually done it, but you'd probably make use of this command:

percent -q -v joint1Cluster1 nurbsCylinder1.cv[5][0];

//(Replacing joint1Cluster1 with your joint name and nurbsCylinder1 with your geometry)

This command would basically query the value of the CV on that jointCluster. You would have to obviously write it, so that you can select all the CV's, then get that info for each CV and then output it to a file. You'll then need to script a way to reapply all the saved weights back to your mesh.

This is the only way I can think of, so please correct me if there is an easier way :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

anthonymcgrath
06-26-2003, 04:02 PM
cheers sir - I would try that if I had the time to write the Mel script which I really haven't done enough of unfortunately.

It looks like I'll just be re-rigging the character as it only took me about 2hours to do and It was my first rigid bound character anyway so I weren't that clued up on the tools hehehe!
in the time it would take me to write that script, I could actually have it done so I may as well saddle up and go fer it!

cheers - you win the nurbsphere!

loked
06-26-2003, 05:23 PM
There might be someone on CGTalk who is a little more experienced at scripting that might do it for you. (I would like to, but I just got so much work :argh: )

You know my email address, so you better be emailing me my nurbsSphere!!! :D

later:wavey:
loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.