PDA

View Full Version : perspective bleh

cerreto
05-03-2002, 01:10 AM
just doing some fast perspective nothing special anyone know of any good books on this subeject the basics are prety simple im just curious to find some in depth books on it

Gilgamesh
05-03-2002, 02:02 AM
Nice looking concept sketch. The colors and style is pretty cool.

And now a short lesson in linear perspective.....
This is a way to space objects evenly as they recede to the vanishing point. Here is what yours looks like:

Gilgamesh
05-03-2002, 02:09 AM
Provided that the objects on the left are supposed to be spaced evenly, here's what you do. You set the spacing with your first two items. Draw a line from the top of one through the bottom of the next one down to a point that is on a line directly below the main vanishing point and perpendicular to the horizon. I did that on your drawing to establish a second vanishing point. Then when you repeat the pattern on all the following objects, their lines should end up at that vanishing point.
This is the same technique you would use for fences, telephone poles, whatever. You draw a line from the top of one post down to vanishing point 2. Wherever it intersects the base line of the line of posts, thats where you draw your next post, a vertical line. Then repeat the process. The top of the post of course coincide with another line going to the main vanishing point, which I forgot to draw. There you go:

cerreto
05-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Very cool giglemsh Thank you very much for taking the time to show me ! this is why i post my crappy stuff hoping someone like you has some advice its much apreciated ! saving your example now thanks man !

puddlefish
05-03-2002, 02:00 PM
'The Animator's Survival Kit' by Richard Williams has some great tips on perspective, plus it's the best book I've ever read on animation.

cerreto
05-03-2002, 04:53 PM
I just bought that book that has got to be one of the best book purchases i have made along with the art of star wars II He makes everything so easy looking and breaks it down great very easy to read ! Great resource

I belive he will be doing a weekend seminar coming up if you have the cash id sugest checking it out for the dates check with bentlama in the animation forum

BldRnr
05-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Hi, there are many good books out there on the subject of perspective. I beg to differ that the rules are simple. If they where you would already understand the rules of perspective.
No offense but this is a primary element needed to be able to
draw either in 3D or by hand. You can also get info by studing film
magazines. They get into what's called Forced perspective.

As for books try "Drawing For All It's Worth" by Andrew Loomis
"Dynamic Figure Drawing" by Byrne Hogarth as a great section on the subject. I little dry but very informative.

That will cover some basics with out any math. And I have a link to a web site that has lots to do with structure's. They have many links there.

http://www.designcommunity.com/home.html

This is the simple stuff wait to you get into "plotting".

I hope I was of some help. If you have any questions just fire away. I have about twenty years experince illustrating and building models of architecture.

Cheers

cerreto
05-03-2002, 09:52 PM
terrific thank you ! im going there now to check it out and ill be aksing questions if your around to answer them thanx

hawkprey
05-04-2002, 03:46 AM
Dude

when you have a 3D program you never have to think about perspective again.

Just render a 3d grid and print it out very lightly. BLAM!!!! instant perspective.

Thats all me and the other concept guy here do. You also can get some real funky angles that you would never think of otherwise.

Gilgamesh
05-04-2002, 03:55 AM
Awww, that's why perspective is so fun! You get to be the 3D Program! I finally feel like I'm pulling my weight! :D

hawkprey
05-04-2002, 04:05 AM
Being a concept guy I have to do anything that will save me time and headache. As soon as any ruler has to be used the drawing takes twice as long.

bentllama
05-04-2002, 04:59 AM
printing out a grid? naw, I still think that you should learn perspective the old fashioned way...with your bare hands...

If you learn to rely on the machine you are not gonna be able to spot things wrong with a still image...you will rely too much on that infernal grid :)

do it by hand...

snotrag29
05-07-2002, 04:50 AM
I've got a copy of "Perspective Drawing, A Point of View" by Jane H. James that was part of required reading back in my college days. It's not really all that bad. It's got the necessary drawings, for quick reference...and it's nothing too technical.

...I did a quick search on Amazon and this book is out of print....what's with all these bloody resource books being out of print when you need em?

:annoyed:

BldRnr
05-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Well just try and work with the book you have. You will find that the previous email on measurments is in correct. But I know Bryne Hogarth books are not out of print. You can get those at most art stores. He will show you how to create the correct way to measure into perspective. Besides getting the rules of perspective you also get a great source of material for placing figures into perspective. The computer can not replace real ability to draw. It takes time and practice. Trust me we all suffer through the same struggle. Unfortunetly there is no easy fix. Just haard work. Besides once you know the rules it will show up in you work and help you succed in the end.
Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.