PDA

View Full Version : XSI Realistic Cloud

carlsden
01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Guys,

anyone know how to create a cloud in xsi? i've gone through this tutorial http://digilander.libero.it/XSI2/Cloud%20English.htm
but i'm using xsi 6 and i dont seem to understand how he adds the explosion shader...
please help..

thanks much...

leigh
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
PLEASE POST SOFTWARE THREADS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE FORUMS! This is stated in the General Discussions rules thread - please read it next time before you post.

carlsden
01-19-2009, 12:54 PM
ah sorry bout the post in the wrong section mate...

so guys can anyone help me with how to create realistic clouds?

EricTRocks
01-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Have you tried working with ICE particles and the new (BA Volume) shaders that are included?? They work really well for smoke / cloudy effects. Read the docs and you should be in good shape to start off. Post back when you have made a bit of progress.

Eric T.

ThE_JacO
01-20-2009, 01:17 AM
WOW... blast from the past. The tutorial you linked is by a friend of mine, and possibly the first thing he wrote about XSI... 8 years ago :)
It's outdated at best, so scrap it.

Said that, XSI is perfectly capable if you need clouds as of v7. I've done full atmospheric shots of a satellite view with a planetary canopy of clouds being blasted away by an explosion's shockwave with nothing but out of the box tools and shaders in just a few days.

The only way to go about it is ICE and the ICE particle volume shaders (previously BA), and there is a ton of info in the manual about those, including the rendering side of things that comes with the BA manuals and some solid examples.
There is so much about the subject that can't be paraphrased and shrinked into one post that tutorials aren't a fraction as useful as experimentation.

Help yourself before you ask others to help you, you might be surprised at how easy it is.
Just don't expect to have photoreal stratocumuli rendered on your first day.

matt8
01-28-2009, 01:36 PM
WOW... blast from the past. The tutorial you linked is by a friend of mine, and possibly the first thing he wrote about XSI... 8 years ago :)
It's outdated at best, so scrap it.

Said that, XSI is perfectly capable if you need clouds as of v7. I've done full atmospheric shots of a satellite view with a planetary canopy of clouds being blasted away by an explosion's shockwave with nothing but out of the box tools and shaders in just a few days.

The only way to go about it is ICE and the ICE particle volume shaders (previously BA), and there is a ton of info in the manual about those, including the rendering side of things that comes with the BA manuals and some solid examples.
There is so much about the subject that can't be paraphrased and shrinked into one post that tutorials aren't a fraction as useful as experimentation.

Help yourself before you ask others to help you, you might be surprised at how easy it is.
Just don't expect to have photoreal stratocumuli rendered on your first day.

Read his first post... he's using version 6....so obviously he won't be able to use ICE.
Read the question properly before offering your advice, you might be surprised at how easy it is.

matt8
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
ah sorry bout the post in the wrong section mate...

so guys can anyone help me with how to create realistic clouds?

Sorry this is probably too late to help you out. I've only just spotted this thread. The Jaco is right, version 7 is better for this. However I did a cloud job a few years back. ( version 5.11 I think) Where I managed to get a fairly convincing cloud rendered using the standard particle shaders at the time. I wouldn't go so far as to call it photo real.

However there was a BA shader collection that you could buy for rendering "Hyper voxel" type particles. The same shaders that version 7 now ships with. Maybe you could try get hold of Holger Schönberger. www.binaryalchemy.de/ I'm not sure if he will still be allowed to sell the old shader now he has a deal with soft, but it is worth a try. They would make this much easier.

Good luck,
m@

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.