PDA

View Full Version : Can Maya model?

zack petroc
05-03-2002, 01:04 AM
As I begin to write this, I see two little smile icons on the screen to my left clinking beer mugs..........those little bastards have it made.

Anyway, I'm testing Maya's ability to create nurbs models without visual seams between surfaces when rendered. When I use square, or birail and ask for tangency it tells me that it worked, but when I render the sucker there is a visible seam between the surfaces. When I take those same surfaces and do an Align Surface with tangency on them, the seam disappears. Was wondering if anyone new of a setting I'm missing. I adjusted the tangential tolerance under the Windows>Settings/Preferences>Preferences>Settings box but that did not work.

If you have a nurbs model, of a car or plane with transitional surfaces, done in Maya, that doesn't show seams it would really help me if I could see what you did differently.

cheers,

-wT-
05-03-2002, 07:14 PM
This tutorial explains NURBS modeling quite nicely, including tangency, by an example of a car being modeled:
http://homepage.mac.com/mikethomson/Tutorial/tutorial.html

caulfield
05-11-2002, 12:46 AM
url doesn't seem to be working too well...

-wT-
05-11-2002, 07:13 AM
Indeed, seems to be broken... funny how that links sorta on-off working all the time :hmm:

wedge
05-27-2002, 05:26 AM
when I first read your topic I made the weirdest, most-shocked and confused look I have ever made.... can Maya model... sheesh.

awnold
06-15-2002, 08:06 PM
The only reliable way to make tangency is to attach the nurbs surfaces, -> detach them where you want the seam and rebuild... end result, 2 tangent patches

XanderFX
06-17-2002, 04:35 PM
You also might want to use the set NURBS tesselation function under the Render menu in the rendering menu set. Sometimes it's just a tesselation issue and this will help fix the problem.:beer:

Grey
06-17-2002, 11:33 PM
neat tutorial which will be easily understood by Rhino users.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.