PDA

View Full Version : dongle issues ?

sebek27
06-26-2003, 01:41 PM
i was wondering if the usb dongle for LW is pretty stable ? i mean is there issues with dongles going out ? and if that happens, how fast will newtek get me a new one ? thx

mrcz
06-26-2003, 02:07 PM
IMHO it is. But I can give you an example from my own experience.
I have USB/DUO dongle. It change its MACHINE ID suddenly !! All plugins which requires lw dongle stoped working.
I was solving it with my local dealer one week . I sent the broken dongle to Newtek (Europe) and after one week the new one was in my computer. Next I sent a confirmation about the dongle exchange to developers of thirdy-party plugins to obtain new licences for them. Two or three weeks for all procedure. It is quite good, BUT if you have a deadline and you are using dongle dependable plugins it is TOO long.

sebek27
06-26-2003, 02:22 PM
i live in the US and work for a company that also uses a dongle, but we replace it overnight... I would think a big company like Newtek would replace a bad dongle overnight since the dongle is for their benefit not mine; they are using it to prevent piracy so if i have a project to work on and my dongle dies, i would definitely want it as fast as possible ! this really sucks if you have to wait that long to get a new dongle... i was thinking about also buying LW along with C4D, which doesn't use a dongle, but if it will take me more than 2 days to get a replacement then... :thumbsdow

proton
06-26-2003, 02:24 PM
I haven't heard of any iddues with the USB Dongle but then again I'm not in Tech Support or CS.....You should give them a call or shoot them an email and they can answer your questions.

proton
06-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Also-

I travel around with my dongle and it gets abused everyday....it never stays attached to a computer and gets used on many computers in a weeks time...FYI

Maxx
06-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Throwing in my 2 cents.... I had a parallel dongle that I fried like a chicken - swapped it for a USB. Newtek had the new dongle to my office in less than three days with a RMA number to ship back the parallel. The swap to USB cost $30 or so, but all in all it was a quick and painless process. :beer: BTW - I live in the continental US, but on the opposite side of the country from NT.

Forgot to add - haven't had any trouble with the USB dongle since.

sebek27
06-26-2003, 02:38 PM
thanks Proton i'll email Newtek... also i hope they replace it for free since the dongle is there for their own good not mine..

proton
06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
There is a small charge if you want to swap out your old dongle for a new USB dongle.....and it's not just for NewTek....stopping Piracy helps everyone...IMHO

sebek27
06-26-2003, 02:46 PM
on a side note... i bought the LW World Wide Tour CD, a month or so ago and have recently looked at the videos and all i can say is it was worth every penny ! i'm learning so much from it, thanks Splinegod :thumbsup:

proton
06-26-2003, 02:54 PM
what all do you like about it...any specific things you can share with us...

sebek27
06-26-2003, 03:07 PM
well so far i've learned a lot about how viper works along with all these settings in image viewer... viper is just great and every 3d app should have something like this as a standard.. there is just so much new stuff i didn't know about plus the cd has 10 hours of video !

Arte
06-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by sebek27
i live in the US and work for a company that also uses a dongle, but we replace it overnight... I would think a big company like Newtek would replace a bad dongle overnight since the dongle is for their benefit not mine; they are using it to prevent piracy so if i have a project to work on and my dongle dies, i would definitely want it as fast as possible ! this really sucks if you have to wait that long to get a new dongle... i was thinking about also buying LW along with C4D, which doesn't use a dongle, but if it will take me more than 2 days to get a replacement then... :thumbsdow

Well if you own the software you can remove the protection if you know how. Perfectly legal despite what many companies will claim. However don't distribute or abuse the liscence as that is illegal.

X

sebek27
06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Arte - you mean if i own the software i can run some patch/crack so it will run without the dongle ?

edit:
Arte - if the software agreement says that it is not legal to run the software without the block than it is illegal

-JT-
06-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Dongles are horrible, i think it does not prevent piracy but encourages it.
I'm lucky now that i have enough usb slots, it hasn't always been the case, but my computer freezes from time to time and i wonder if it has something to do with the dongle, it wouldn't surprise me (it didn't happen before).
I can only imagine a freelancer having a problem with his dongle in the middle of an important job, then even half a day takes too much time.

I wish Lightwave 8 would stop this stupid protection...

proton
06-26-2003, 04:03 PM
It is not legal to "Crack " LW...and it is illegal to run LW without the Dongle....I'm not a big fan of dongles either...but it does help with the piracy problem and I'm all for that.....Hopefully NewTek will come up with a better solution then Dongles but for now it's what we use...

peanuckle
06-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Ive had no probs with my dongle when working in Windows. The only thing im affraid of is breaking the lil' thing. :wip:
I believe if you wanna run LW in Linux you have to crack it and then run Wine (the dongle wont get picked up in Linux. (of course i could just have configured it wrong im not the best IN Linux:) ) I just use Lightwave in windows anyways.

pea~

mrcz
06-26-2003, 08:17 PM
peanuckle
the dongle wont get picked up in Linux
Yes, it would. But still you need a module to communicate with and such as module must be developed on NT side (according to Sentinel dealer).

proton
NewTek will come up with a better solution

Look at Bentley MicroStation solution.

peanuckle
06-26-2003, 08:20 PM
K...well they need to work faster :) im so impatient these days :p

pea~

Arte
06-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by proton
It is not legal to "Crack " LW...and it is illegal to run LW without the Dongle....I'm not a big fan of dongles either...but it does help with the piracy problem and I'm all for that.....Hopefully NewTek will come up with a better solution then Dongles but for now it's what we use...

It is perfectly legal to reverse engineer something you have legally. Note I said legally. There is a huge difference. That's capitalism. This counts for my work as well as Newteks you know so don't think I'm pleased with the situation, and as a developer I got to know this area quite well:( Distributing that however is illegal.

The above may have changed but was still valid when I was developing full time.

X

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.