PDA

View Full Version : Wacom versus Aiptek

Gilgamesh
05-03-2002, 01:58 AM
Well, I'm finally in the market for a graphics tablet, while Wacom seems to be the favored brand, I wonder if anyone has tried the Aiptek HyperPen. I was planning on getting a Graphire 2, because I don't have that much of a budget. The HyperPen 8000 series has a larger active area (8"x6") for the same price, which is tempting. Anyone have any experience with these tablets? Or better yet can compare it to a Graphire2?
Thanks

frog
05-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Get a wacom!!!!!

I've never heard anything but bad things about other tablets, they're just not made the same. Some only work in mouse mode, or they don't have application support or quality drivers.

Besides, the Graphire is a bargain.

TiGER
05-04-2002, 10:51 PM
i bought an aiptek (or as i like to call it, "ape tech") hyperpen tablet just to get the feel for a tablet and pen and it was cheap and i would advise to get a wacom if you want to do quality work with it.
:thumbsdow:

Gilgamesh
05-05-2002, 03:04 AM
Is 4x5 really enough room? It seems so small, and I can't afford an Intuos....
By the way, thanks for the replies. I knew it was a boring post, but I almost thought it would be buried forever.

Boobee Wong
05-05-2002, 10:26 PM
There is no other choice except Wacom. I have two tablets, one for PC and one for Mac. (In fact, all the Wacom tablets support both PC and Mac). U will love the feel in using it. My opionion is you don't have to buy a large one , Graphire2 able to handle most of the jobs but if you have more coins in your pocket. Buy the Intuos 2. If you are a miilionaire, buy 2 Cintio, one is for ME!! HA! Just kidding!

frog
05-06-2002, 11:24 AM
It seems I'm posting this advice daily at various boards around the web :) The Graphire is great, buy it. You can get round the small size by zooming in, you only really need a bigger tablet if you can really only draw big but most people can get by.

Virtuoso
05-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Wacom................ I own a 12x9 and it's bliss. But the size one step down from that is great too.............but Wacom by a long shot Gilgamesh..........good luck........:beer:

By the way........the info you gave me a while back was and is priceless.......the X-refs.............wow my gigantic sets actually will get done because of it. Thanks again........... :beer: :)

3DMadness
05-09-2002, 06:19 PM
I've got a Wacom Graphire2 and it's great! I second all the opinions about it! :D
Go get a Wacom!!
Cheers!

3D Madness

ZrO-1
05-09-2002, 09:48 PM
I just ordered a wacom (12x9) and I can't wait to get it. :drool:

Lets start the wacom cheer:

Wacom Wacom the're the man
if they can't do it no one can

Go Wacom
Go Wacom

:D

Virtuoso
05-10-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by ZrO-1
I just ordered a wacom (12x9) and I can't wait to get it. :drool:

Lets start the wacom cheer:

Wacom Wacom the're the man
if they can't do it no one can

Go Wacom
Go Wacom

:D

:bounce: :beer: :applause: :thumbsup: :)

It is bliss.................ZrO-1.............you will love it........so sweet. Have fun, great choice................WACOM RULEZZZZZ.:bounce: :beer:

Adam Klein
05-13-2002, 01:09 AM
if you're budget is low, try the Acecat Flair, its pretty close to the wacom, takes a little AAAA battery though, but it lasts forever, refresh rate is supposed to be better than the wacom due to the powered pen though. you can look it up, or I put the links up on Leigh's texture workshop somewere...I can't seem to find it:insane:

anyway, it costs about 70 bucks for the 4x5. Going from a mouse to that was amazing enough, you can finally draw! Ya might wanna try that instead of paying a lot more for a big ol wacom

who knows? heh,heh:scream:

Adam

Adam
05-13-2002, 07:50 PM
I have the aiptek you are talking about and it is okay
It has the bonus of the larger area but is kinda annoying
I hate the drivers and their suport sucks.
I also dislike how the aiptek pen requires batteries. This is actually really annoying because they are AAA.
If I could do it again I would proubably buy the wacom instead. Better drivers and support as well as no batteries required.

Plus, wacom's look cooler. heheh

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

whatever
05-15-2002, 03:16 PM
I've been using my 12x18 Intuos for about a year now, doing major matte painting work and modeling in maya and I have to say its amazing. Takes up major desk realestate though :p

Gilgamesh
05-16-2002, 01:07 AM
Well I just placed an order for a Graphire2. You guys convinced me. :)
Woohoo!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.