PDA

View Full Version : Smedge Problem

carpenma
01-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Okay, I'm using Smedge on a small render farm. In the Smedge interface all of the computers recognize each others existence. But when I tell Smedge to part out the render between the computers I just get a failed group of frames continuously until I stop it. Even if its just using the host machine. I'm rendering 3ds max files. The path to max is correct on every machine. Running max 2009 design on the hos and just 2009 on the rest. Thanks

-Matt

softocean
01-31-2009, 04:13 AM
What I can recall from using smedge is that the texture files had to be easily found in the same subdirectory tree of the maya scene. We accomplished this by copying the complete project to a smedge directory on a master server before kicking off the render. The master server would make sure all of the clients had a copy when it rendered.

Hope this helps.

carpenma
01-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Would that be a valid solution with 3ds as well? Assuming I was just saving the output to a shared folder on one computer where would I have to put the textures? Thanks

softocean
01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Maya has a convenient project directory structure which standardizes locations for textures, etc. In 3dsmax, I think you'll have to create a consistent location of the textures so that they appear in the same location on every rendering machine. Ex: \\computer\shared_folder\shared_textures_folder That way 3dsmax won't get confused about where to find things if you are using absolute path names. If you are using relative path names ex: ..\textures the situation may be different.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.