PDA

View Full Version : Mixing up two different nVidia cards?

loocas
01-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it possible to plug in two different cards in a non-SLI setup?

I'll be soon upgrading my workstation and I still love my GeForce 8800, but I'd love to get one of the new Quadros. The other reason is I'll be running 3 monitors and I want to plug the secondary displays to the GeForce, while I wanna have the primary display dedicated on the Quadro.

Is it possible to mix up these two cards on one board (2x PCI-E of course) not in an SLI, but separately, one taking care of the two secondary displays and one taking care of the primary display.

How about drivers and generally, does it even work?

I'll be on Windows Vista Business x64 and will upgrade to Windows 7 (Business?) x64 when it's released.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this, cheers,

- loocas

dan1el
01-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I never heard of any doing that, I'd advice you not to... but please come back and tell us if it works ;)

loocas
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I never heard of any doing that, I'd advice you not to... but please come back and tell us if it works ;)

:D sure thing! But I need to at least get a feeling that this might work? I have no idea how the drivers will work for two different cards under one hood in Windows.

I'll probably first upgrade the MB with dual PCI-E slots, shove in my 8800 and probably borrow another geforce, my girl has a 9400 I believe, so that might do... then, if it all goes well, I'll take the risk and order a Quadro and see if it works. If not, I'll be stuck with another option which is buying another Quadro and run them together (not SLI, I don't need/want that).

Srek
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I haven't done this with Vista yet, but i set up three different NVidia Quadro cards up some time ago using XP and it worked fine. I was able to spread my 3D viewport of CINEMA 4D over six screens with that setup.
Cheers
Björn

loocas
01-19-2009, 02:37 PM
I haven't done this with Vista yet, but i set up three different NVidia Quadro cards up some time ago using XP and it worked fine. I was able to spread my 3D viewport of CINEMA 4D over six screens with that setup.
Cheers
Björn

That's some great news! :thumbsup: Thanks for the info, I appretiate it!

Now, I'm planning on mixing up GeForce 8800 (for my secondary screens) and a Quadro FX 3800 (as soon as it's out), so hopefully this setup will work too.

Srek
01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
While i think it will work, personaly i would try to stick to cards that can all run with the same driver
Cheers
Björn

kweichangcaine
01-23-2009, 02:43 AM
As I understand...

As the previous replier stated, using an ATI and NVidia will have undesirable affects/effects.

Using similar (not always neccesarily) cards of the same manufacturer (Nvidia or ATI) and relative same technological period should work on most motherboards.

However, your raw rendering GPU power, the one that actually does the brainy assist to the CPU for rendering, algorithim work, etc... is the GPU closest to the CPU. The others, south of that, simply supply your x-tra real estate plug ins for monitors.
This is for normal folks with normal wallets.
I believe pro level dual xenons, with fancy GPU controllers can access as many brains on as many GPU's as they care to. As wel as access as much RAM and hardrives in raid 0,10 and on and on...Say Lucas...

Somebody please correct me if I'm off/wrong.
Cheers.

loocas
01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
As I understand...

As the previous replier stated, using an ATI and NVidia will have undesirable affects/effects.

Using similar (not always neccesarily) cards of the same manufacturer (Nvidia or ATI) and relative same technological period should work on most motherboards.

However, your raw rendering GPU power, the one that actually does the brainy assist to the CPU for rendering, algorithim work, etc... is the GPU closest to the CPU. The others, south of that, simply supply your x-tra real estate plug ins for monitors.
I believe pro level dual xenons, with fancy GPU controllers can access as many brains on as many GPU's as they care to. As wel as access as much RAM and hardrives in raid 0,10 and on and on...Say Lucas...

Cheers.

Hmmm... well, I wouldn't mind that actually. The Quadro FX will be the primary card supporting my primary display, the secondary card will be (by then very outdated) GeForce 8800 which its main purpose would be to support my two other monitors (that it currently feeds). I won't need 2x Quadro, I won't need dual xeons and I won't need anything fancy. The current setup works perfectly well and until Autodesk decides that it should update its software product line to support multi threading, I don't see any benefit of having Xeons and gazillion GPUs on my workstation. Rendering is a different question, but then I have secondary computers here to handle that.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys, I appretiate it! :thumbsup:

imashination
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Please dont just make things up, youre helping nobody.

Your quadro/geforce mix should work ok, and really you cant do any harm trying. At best itll work smoothly, at worst you might have to have self imposed limitations such as not spanning a single 3d opengl window across both screens. Likely limits would be that the 3d view doesnt update on one screen when spanned, until the entire 3d portion passes on to the other screen where itll then get handed off to the other gfx card.

olson
01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Back with Windows 98 I had a GeForce 2 in an AGP slot and some old Radeon with 32MB in a PCI slot. Both had the official drivers installed and it worked great. Before cards with multiple DVI ports that was the only way to get multiple monitors. I haven't tried it lately but its probably the same as it used to be and it'll work fine. Be sure that your power supply has enough punch for the extra power draw of a second video card.

Something else to consider, how many PCI-Express lanes does your chipset support? Sometimes running two cards will make each run at 8x instead of 16x for a single card which can cause a little performance loss. Not make or break, just something to think about. Cheers!

kweichangcaine
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by kweichangcaine

I'll take it that my above statement was completely wrong?

loocas
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM

Your quadro/geforce mix should work ok, and really you cant do any harm trying. At best itll work smoothly, at worst you might have to have self imposed limitations such as not spanning a single 3d opengl window across both screens. Likely limits would be that the 3d view doesnt update on one screen when spanned, until the entire 3d portion passes on to the other screen where itll then get handed off to the other gfx card.

This doesn't bother me at all actually as I'll have one app per monitor, that's the primary reason for my upgrade.

Back with Windows 98 I had a GeForce 2 in an AGP slot and some old Radeon with 32MB in a PCI slot. Both had the official drivers installed and it worked great. Before cards with multiple DVI ports that was the only way to get multiple monitors. I haven't tried it lately but its probably the same as it used to be and it'll work fine. Be sure that your power supply has enough punch for the extra power draw of a second video card.

Something else to consider, how many PCI-Express lanes does your chipset support? Sometimes running two cards will make each run at 8x instead of 16x for a single card which can cause a little performance loss. Not make or break, just something to think about. Cheers!

Good to hear!

As for the power supply, that won't be a problem with a 1KW module or at least a 750W module.

Also, I'll make sure the mobo I'll pick will support both cards at 16x PCI-E speeds.

Thanks for the input!

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.